Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi everyone. What a friendly, interesting forum this is.

We're new to boating; have had lots of holidays in the past, but next year are planning to buy our own narrowboat. Can't wait! Will have to though as both of us are still working.

As time goes on we will have lots of questions, so please bear with us newbies.

At the moment could do with some advice on the best waterways guides i.e Pearsons, etc. We've been promised some as a Christmas present.

Hello, you need Carole's First mate guides at www.canalmate.co.uk they show the shops, doctors, vets and much more.

Sue

Hi - I'm Dave and I'm new to boating....

Last time I was on a narowboat was something over 15 years ago for a couple of weeks.

Now I'm 45, unemployed and have bought a boat to overwinter on and explore the system from London to (where I lived) to Blackburn (where my brother lives); been on it for two weeks now and there's lots to learn - and enjoy!

Next year, I'll get a job again, but I'm enjoying myself as a (faux) crusty to much at the moment....

I've been lurking on the forums here, absorbing info and advice (thanks - and it's awesomely useful; hopefully I'll be able to make useful contributions at some point).

Currently my issues revolve around the mysteries of diesel engines, porta-potties and the Ambridge Christmas Panto.

Cheers,

--

Dave

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi

This is Shaun and Christine, we have done a bit of canal boating over the past few years but all of it hire. We decided to do a bit more so in our usual feet first fashion ended up getting a Dutch badge replica in France without seeing it. It is 10 meters long and needs a shower but we seem to have fallen on our feet. We did intend to get something for the British canals but we ended up in France. We are both cracking on a bit and neither of us will see 40 again. I am an instrument technician with a reasonable knowledge of electrical and mechanical; my wife is a mother with a reasonable knowledge of most things and a great talent for finding things on the net when others cannot or for a lot less. We both have a reasonable sense of humor witch is probably the only reason we are still together. Two kids, one of each 16 and 21. Not much else to say apart from we live on the English/Scottish borders and have two beautiful black Newfoundland dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

my name is William, and I am an alco........sorry wrong board (though judging by some of the sites/blogs of French canal trips I'm not so sure :lol: )

My son is about to go to Uni, my house is about to fall down so I fancied living on a boat.

It sounds like a lot of work, but so is a house and a barge doesn't need scaffolding to fix walls/gutters/roofs, so I have started seriously considering a wide/broad beam to live aboard in this country with the possibility of "Francing" in 10 or so years.

My house is 130 years old so all of the drawbacks that people on here talk about sound like a piece of cake.

I look forward to asking many stupid questions over the coming months/years.

Speaking of which, I've seen someone ask about carrying a car on a barge, but does anyone carry a motorbike?

Cheers

Billyb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maizee

Welcome, sorry it took three days but please don't SHOUT ABOUT IT, it does me head in especially after the Christmas I just had. :lol:

Edit: to correct spelling of Name. :lol:

Edited by bottle

Hi Maizee

Welcome, sorry it took three days but please don't SHOUT ABOUT IT, it does me head in especially after the Christmas I just had. :lol:

Edit: to correct spelling of Name. :lol:

Hi, thanks for saying hello.

we are on the verge of our first narrowboat, if only the bank would stop messing us about. refused first request for £60K as they said we wouldnt be able to fund the repayments, Ha, they must be joking i thought. Nope they were deadly serious.

No mortgage, house worth £280k own businesses, what planet are they on........

Came to light that my driving school business that they wouldn't take the income into consideration as it's only been running since may has caused the problem... well it's fine with us if they don't use the income but it's going a bit far to then take it's expenses into consideration!!

Went to appeal on friday the19th, should have had an answer on Monday but no...tuesday maybe...no,underwriters gone home till this monday........The wait is killing us.

We are buying from Harrall brokerage in Northwich, Cheshire. She is a 65' cruiser. dec2006 but unused by owner who moved to cyprus and wanted a boatfor when thay visited england. due to ill health he has never even seen the boat and so decided to sell. She has done 150hrs with the staff at harrall at the helm as requested by the owner.

We have been advised not to bother with a survey as the boat has hardly moved and the brokerage know it's full history as in the base plate etc. we checked with a local boat builder as we were still going to get a survey but he felt we would be wasting money, he too knows the history of the boat. Just wondered what everyone on hear thinks.

Also, here comes the silly question, we are buying the boat knowing we cant cruise past wigan locks i.e 62' but just wanted to confirm this as a lady we spoke to said if we went in on an angle we would get a 65' boat through!!!

All advice appreciated.

M x

Hi Maizee

If the boat is December 2006 it is due to have its bottom blacked. Recommended to be done every two years, she will have to be dry docked, good time to have a survey. (one haul/lift charge).

There are different types of survey, hull only, full survey, have a chat with an independent surveyor.

Personally I would have a survey but that is me, always sceptical.

Here is a link to a PDF document giving all canal dimensions. Craft dimensions

We have been advised not to bother with a survey as the boat has hardly moved and the brokerage know it's full history as in the base plate etc. we checked with a local boat builder as we were still going to get a survey but he felt we would be wasting money, he too knows the history of the boat. Just wondered what everyone on hear thinks.

Another tick here for getting a survey done, it may be a a bit of money but it is never a waste.

Hello,

I became hooked on boats last July when my Brother bought a 22ft Callum Craft for cruising on the Lancaster Canal. I think subconsciously, I've been hooked on boats since I first took control of an inflatable with a Mercury engine at the age of 12 on Lake Windermere. Since then, I've always wanted a boat with a Mercury engine and, when I saw my Brother's boat with one just engine I was in my element..

Anyway, I've decided to go one step further and, after many sleepless nights and doubts whether I should or not I've taken the plunge and put a deposit down on a 57ft Trad NB, Shell by Tim Tyler, Fitout by Braidbar. The boat is immaculate and it's obvious the previous, (owners from new) have been extremely fastidious in caring for it.

I'm financing the purchase from Spain where I have a property (mortgage free) not on the Costa it's in the North East and it's rental is oriented towards uni students and Spanish people so I'm not reliant on holiday folk. I feel this is a golden opportunity to take advantage of the Pound/Euro exchange as it's almost at parity so what I ask in Euros I will receive the equivalent more or less in pounds...

Any opinions on Tim Tyler and Braidbar appreciated..

Hope I'm doing the right thing... :lol:

Regards,

Androo

Edited by Androo

Hi Maizee

If the boat is December 2006 it is due to have its bottom blacked. Recommended to be done every two years, she will have to be dry docked, good time to have a survey. (one haul/lift charge).

There are different types of survey, hull only, full survey, have a chat with an independent surveyor.

Thank you for the PDF, i will have alook at it it may be the one i have seen. the thing i am confused with is people saying you can get a boat bigger than the given length of lock if it is a wide lock but how much would be too big. I felt that the advise of being able to get a 65' boat through a 62' lock is a bit ambitious. If it can be done it would be a bonus but i waould rather compromise the northern canal system than the extra space on a liveaboard.

M x

Hello,

my name is William, and I am an alco........sorry wrong board (though judging by some of the sites/blogs of French canal trips I'm not so sure :lol: )

My son is about to go to Uni, my house is about to fall down so I fancied living on a boat.

It sounds like a lot of work, but so is a house and a barge doesn't need scaffolding to fix walls/gutters/roofs, so I have started seriously considering a wide/broad beam to live aboard in this country with the possibility of "Francing" in 10 or so years.

My house is 130 years old so all of the drawbacks that people on here talk about sound like a piece of cake.

I look forward to asking many stupid questions over the coming months/years.

Speaking of which, I've seen someone ask about carrying a car on a barge, but does anyone carry a motorbike?

Cheers

Billyb

Hi BillyB,

I've certainly seen a number of bikes (the motor variety) on boats - from 205cc (ish) loaded onto a tugstyle narrowboat via a strong gangplank, to 1000cc+ being loaded with an onboard hydraulic winch! Getting a bike on is one thing but getting it off again could prove to be a separate problem entirely but I've seen this overcome with the use of a bike size turntable (on a tug deck...). When I was living on my old 1073 Harborough I was considering getting my Z11 on board but (luckily for me) ( never actually needed to so didn't bother. There was a guy I knew that manged to load his GS1000 chop on his NB with no special equipment so it can be done... :lol:

Hi Maizee

hi keith,

just had a look at the PDF, could be good news if only i knew the system. It says liverpool to wigan 72' at juction with leigh branch. wigan to leeds 62'. wigan to leigh branch 72'. So considering we are really interested in venturing to the new branch into the Albert dock liverpool, once i check my maps maybe we will be o.k. As we only live about 12 miles away

we are keeping an eye on the progress and it looks great.

M x

Hi everybody!

M name is Michele and my dream is to liveaboard a NB.

I don't have a boat.............but that's a work in progress!

If it was up to me, the house would be sold and I'd be sitting in front of a log burner on my NB this very second! BUT............................

My fella, who is 6'5'', has always said he wouldn't be able to live on a NB due to his height. Recently I got him aboard a friends NB and he found he wasn't stooping all the time as he expected. I have now got him to agree to a NB holiday next year, which I booked quickly before he could change is mind! (which he hasn't ..........so far!)

Well, I look forward to getting to know you all and keeping you up to date with my progress!

Hope you all had a great Christmas and best wishes for 2009!

regards

Michele

:lol:

Hi Keith

You are an amazing source of info.

Update on money.....couldn't wait for today and a probable answer from the bank but no.......had to take statements to prove the car finance was coming out of a seperate a/c to the one we use for personal things and proof to connect the car to the driving school. With new year and more hols coming up i doubt we will hear this week.

This should have been so simple and taken 3 days, up to now its nearly a month of to & fro' ing. They say moving house is stressful, nearly losing your future retirement is worse especially as we need 2 bedrooms and they don't happen often.

Thanks again keith.

M x

Hi everybody!

M name is Michele and my dream is to liveaboard a NB.

I don't have a boat.............but that's a work in progress!

If it was up to me, the house would be sold and I'd be sitting in front of a log burner on my NB this very second! BUT............................

My fella, who is 6'5'', has always said he wouldn't be able to live on a NB due to his height. Recently I got him aboard a friends NB and he found he wasn't stooping all the time as he expected. I have now got him to agree to a NB holiday next year, which I booked quickly before he could change is mind! (which he hasn't ..........so far!)

Well, I look forward to getting to know you all and keeping you up to date with my progress!

Hope you all had a great Christmas and best wishes for 2009!

regards

Michele

Hi Michele,

it is our dream too and as you may have read if the bank would stop being stupid we may get there.

We origionally intended selling the house first as we had never had a mortgage before and hubby didn't fancy starting now but then we saw a NB suitable and got the ball rolling. The £60k is on an interest only mortgage with payments of just under £200. The house will go up for sale and it then means no inbetween worries, straight onto the boat.

We thought about it about 12 yrs ago but thought we couldn't do itbut have to admit now to being naive and saw NB's as sort of gypsyish....very sorry about that.

It was only at the beginning of 2008 that we started looking properly and stepped aboard one...wow... then we had a couple of day hires and loved it and like you we booked a week aboard RUBY TUESDAY from claymore navigation, she is a luxury hire boat. I was scared i wouldn't enjoy it or even worse that my hubby wouldn't enjoy it but ah my golly gosh.

From day one we were soaked to the skin and freezing cold, October half term. the ropes were frozen in the morning, i jumped off onto a decked aquaduct and went flying on the ice, the heating refused to come on in the morning without the engine on so we were lying there with frozen noses poking out of the covers we had to return to base twice to go to work.

You know what michele we havn't laughed so much in ages, we had the time of our lives in bad conditions and can't wait to do it for real.

You enjoy your holiday and be ready for the for sale sign when you get home.

Maizee

Hi Maizee

Thanks for your reply, it's great to talk to people with the same ambitions.

How wierd........we are embarking on our trip in October half term week too! Maybe it's fate!

I just hope that OH likes it and isn't put off by being cold. He's not nesh but if he thinks he's gonna be cold for several months on end...........he may not take to it.

We've booked Oct half term for a few reasons....I am a teaching assistant so can only take hols out of term time, the price of hire in the summer months was double and we wanted to experience the colder months on a boat rather than just the idyllic summer dream of sitting on the bow with a cold cider and a good book on a hot, balmy afternoon!

I look forward to chatting to you more in the coming months and hearing about you expoilts.

Keep in touch - I'm putting you on my friends list.

Take care

Michele

Welcome to the world of Canals!!!

hi im keith from essex i have been saving up for my first boat for over two years now . it seems forever . i get it at the end of jan 2009 . its a 57ft trad tim tyler shell . i purchased as a sailaway .. with engine . windows . insulated and a few other extras . so i have to paint outside ... do electrics .. line it out and create my individual layout .. ive done a lot of wood work in the vpast so i wont find it that hard ... ive been on many narrowboats . however ive never navigated one .. im looking forward to it .. found the forum great for advice looking forward to meeting boaters ... only a few weeks ill have me boat ...

thanks and hi to everyone

keith