Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi, we live in France and are just about to buy a 46ft narrowboat moored on the Canal du Midi in the South of France. My husband has experience of narrowboating in the UK, but the French waterways will be something different. Wish us luck with the purchase and we'll keep you all posted on our adventures!

Guest gloryforixseal

My personal opnion? This thread is no longer contributing anything worthwile to the board. Were I mod and I was once, a long time ago on another board. I would probably lock the heck out of it.

But thats just me

despite the above post, I am a newbie so shall take the opportunity to quickly introduce myself and run out of here on to other boards.

My name is Sarah and me and my partner have just brought our first narrowboat. i've been reading up on here for months and learned lots of useful information that has helped us to find and buy our frist boat, we have also managed to get a mooring near to where we live and work in Reading.

We got our 58' boat from Whilton Marina - she is still there, we are going to pick her up in a couple of weeks and have given ourselves 2 weeks to travel around a bit and bring her home to the Kennet and Avon canal.

Very exciting times.

despite the above post, I am a newbie so shall take the opportunity to quickly introduce myself and run out of here on to other boards.

My name is Sarah and me and my partner have just brought our first narrowboat. i've been reading up on here for months and learned lots of useful information that has helped us to find and buy our frist boat, we have also managed to get a mooring near to where we live and work in Reading.

We got our 58' boat from Whilton Marina - she is still there, we are going to pick her up in a couple of weeks and have given ourselves 2 weeks to travel around a bit and bring her home to the Kennet and Avon canal.

Very exciting times.

not a mooring by the IDR I hope.

Sue

Very exciting times.

Hi Sarah,

welcome to the forum.

Richard

Hello. :lol::lol::lol:

Ehrmm......shuffles feet.

I could just play with the smilies. ;)

Obviously I'm new.

We don't have a boat but we might one day.

We went on an inland waterway boat handling course the other day.

It's part of our research to see if we would like/be able to do the boating thing.

I didn't fall in which is a good start and I didn't ram any other narrowboats which I was very scared that I might!!! :lol:

Now we just have to be brave enough to get ourselves back on the water, without our lovely instructor, Jen, so we don't forget what we learned.

Off for a shufty.

eth

Hi, we live in France and are just about to buy a 46ft narrowboat moored on the Canal du Midi in the South of France. My husband has experience of narrowboating in the UK, but the French waterways will be something different. Wish us luck with the purchase and we'll keep you all posted on our adventures!

I trust you/he are holders of the appropriate licences. - It's not like here in Uk were you can just climb aboard and let go f'ard.

Tco

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi everyone

We hope to be new to boating within a few months. We have almost decided to sell our house and buy a widebeam live aboard.

There are tons of uncertainties!

Primarily is the availability of a permenant mooring.

What's it like in the bleak mid-winter?

Then there is headroom - I am 6ft 2in.

Then internet connection - I need it for work.

Then whether to buy a sailaway and have it fitted to our own requirements, or buy second hand. Which is best value for money?

Ahhrrrrgg!!!!

We keep going round in circles! Has anyone anything to offer on any of these subjects? :lol:

John & Sue in the West Country (Close to Gloucester)

Edited by John A

• 2 weeks later...

HELLO ALL. I Havent yet got a boat,but my wife and i are very much interested in doing so,i shall be retiring within next 5yrs,hopefully sooner :lol:,i think this forum is really great as it just about covers everything to do with boats/canals etc. if i ask any stupid questions in the future,may apologise in advance. kind regards. al.b

Hi everyone

We hope to be new to boating within a few months. We have almost decided to sell our house and buy a widebeam live aboard.

There are tons of uncertainties!

Primarily is the availability of a permenant mooring. Where? In some areas they are very scarce

What's it like in the bleak mid-winter? Cold, muddy, frozen in, dark

Then there is headroom - I am 6ft 2in.

Then internet connection - I need it for work. If by a dongle - intermittent if you are cruising.

Then whether to buy a sailaway and have it fitted to our own requirements, or buy second hand. Which is best value for money? How well do you know what you really need in a boat? How much spare time do you have to do the fit out? Where will you live while you do it? How are your DIY skills? have you ever tried handling large materials in a small metal box?

Ahhrrrrgg!!!!

We keep going round in circles! Has anyone anything to offer on any of these subjects? :lol:

John & Sue in the West Country (Close to Gloucester)

Hi John and Sue. Comments are in the above.

Honestly the best advice is: Hire a boat when the weather is bad, go and look at loads of boats at brokers with the intention of not buying one to get ideas, hang around canals and talk to boaters. Do some forum searches, you will find that you are not the first to ask these questions.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search, but be sure you understand the reality of what you are getting into.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, My name is Peter and i am not completely new but am intending to purchase a narrowboat in the next few months with a view to living aboard. I wonder if anyone knows of any residential moorings in the Rickmansworth area. Thanks

Hi All,

Been lurking here for quite a while, so i thought i'd pop my head up and say hello!

I'm picking up my first NB tomorrow and will be navigating it back to London from Scunthorpe over the next few weeks.

I'll be living aboard from the end of August and cruising the system from the end of September.

Cheers :lol:

Steve

Hi Guys, My name is Peter and i am not completely new but am intending to purchase a narrowboat in the next few months with a view to living aboard. I wonder if anyone knows of any residential moorings in the Rickmansworth area. Thanks

Hello and welcome. Just a hint - find a mooring before getting your boat. It can save a lot of heartache.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

We are selling our narrowboat, which is on a resi mooring (transferrable to new owner) at Packet Boat Marina (Uxbridge). The details are at http://apolloduck.net/117679

Michelle

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I'm new to this. so here goes my partner and i have just sold our house so that we can buy a boat to live on

we already have the mooring at wigrams turn and have spent the last two years researching and talking to peaple on the many towpaths that we have walked every weekend we have heard the good and the bad and the bits in between.

We are really looking forward to joining the boating community and hpoefully meeting some new friends

Hi I'm new to this. so here goes my partner and i have just sold our house so that we can buy a boat to live on

we already have the mooring at wigrams turn and have spent the last two years researching and talking to peaple on the many towpaths that we have walked every weekend we have heard the good and the bad and the bits in between.

We are really looking forward to joining the boating community and hpoefully meeting some new friends

welcome to the world of pump outs Gi`s and batteries

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm Bob. My wife and I moved to Wiltshire from my native Cornwall 3 years ago and we live within a few minutes of the Avon & Kennet canal. I'm 56 with a heart problem and was forced to give up work in 1994 after my first heart attack.

I went for a bike ride along the canal yesterday with my neighbour. Cycled between Semington and Sells Green nr Caen Hill locks Devizes.

I suggested that it could be nice to sell my house and buy a narrow boat, put the proceeds of the house sale in the bank and live comfortably. When I got home and told my dear wife :lol: about my idea she embraced it whole heartedly.

I've got a lot of questions and will be browsing this forum for answers.

Bob

Edited by Cornishman

Bob (Cornishman)

Welcome and good luck in your quest to liveaboard.

Please do not jump aboard until all your questions are asked (that may not be possible actually :lol: )

Do you have any experience of boating, if not then please hire and definitley out of season, apart from it will be cheaper it may give an insight to how 'tough' it can be. :lol:

Do some gongoozling (watching) and chat with boaters on the towpath, we are usually very friendly and if you happen to mention that you are thinking of moving aboard, you may even get cup of tea and a guided tour. :lol:

Thanks for the warm welcome folks, I'm a keen forum user so hope to stick around. As stated this is a thought right out of the blue, well muddy brown actually K & A.

One question that came up immediately was where to keep my car and motor bike.

A chap that I know lives aboard and has a company van, where does he keep it, I'll have to ask. Mooring, he says that he can stay a a place for 3 weeks then has to move fore a week before returning, interesting.

Experience of boating. I've been on fishing trips 20 miles offshore and was violently seasick, canoed as a youngster but not much.

Edited by Cornishman

One question that came up immediately was where to keep my car and motor bike.

A chap that I know lives aboard and has a company van, where does he keep it, I'll have to ask. Mooring, he says that he can stay a a place for 3 weeks then has to move fore a week before returning, interesting.

A word of warning. Thats a very hot topic. See some of the topics in living afloat. The official max stay in any place is 14 days (unless stated otherwise).