Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi,

Another newbie to this site and in 2 days time we part with the hard earned cash and buy our own boat, all 100% ours!

After a couple of years hiring, followed by 13 years of shared ownership. A couple well, 3 weeks ago thought we would test the market and place our share on the market. Well within a couple of hours the share was sold and we faced a summer without a boating holiday. So armed with a few mags and a few hours sat in front of the computer we shortlisted a few boats to view. And to cut the story short within the next couple of days we become owners of a 56ft cruiser stern narrowboat and the Easter weekend in front of us.

The insurance and a new mooring near Rugby is arranged, the lounge is disappearing under a mountain of bedding, kitchen items, crockery, tools, guide books etc, etc ready for Good Friday when we collect the keys to start a new chapter in our boating life. We couldn't care about the weather, but it's looking good at the moment. So watch out for us on Watford Locks, Braunston and the Hillmorton locks.....and we will wave etc to shared boats and hire boats ... oh any owner boats, we here for fun and enjoyment!

see you on the cut

Boatingbiker

ps the bikes are being left at home at the weekends, even if I am in the middle of rebuilding a 1961 model

We've managed to get a mooring at Milton Keynes Marina. Not really where we wanted to be but its all that was available.

We are in the process of buying a 70ft Narrowboat - Lady Gwendoline- currently moored at Crick.

We are meeting the boat owners on Thursday whilst they explain the boat equipment to us and hopefully sign the contract.

We went on a helmsmans course a couple of weeks ago but apart from that we don't know anything. Hoping to learn as we go along

Christian

Good Evening All,

I'm trying to get new to boating. Got a survey booked w/c 23rd May and if all goes well hopefully be on the water soon after!

What I'd find really useful, is a list of routine tasks and a timetable? What things to check daily or before/after every use (Our family is likely to be using the waters Fri - Sun and maybe a week or two in the summer), what to check monthly, quarterly and annually etc? I suppose a checklist that I could pin on the notice board to remind me!!

Well I hope it not our Moonshadow, as it should be tied up in a marina North of Crick, until Friday....

but there are quite a few Moonshadows about apparently

Boatingbiker

I saw a Moonshadow today at ABMB.

I saw TWO on the Coventry last weekend.

Tony

Good Evening All,

I'm trying to get new to boating. Got a survey booked w/c 23rd May and if all goes well hopefully be on the water soon after!

What I'd find really useful, is a list of routine tasks and a timetable? What things to check daily or before/after every use (Our family is likely to be using the waters Fri - Sun and maybe a week or two in the summer), what to check monthly, quarterly and annually etc? I suppose a checklist that I could pin on the notice board to remind me!!

Hi Christian,

Daily:

•  
  • Are there enough beers on board
  • Engine oil level
  • Engine coolant level
  • Engine belts condition and tightness
  • Stern gland greaser
  • Battery SOC
  • Do you need more beers

Weekly:

•  
  • Fuel level
  • Domestic water level

I'm sure others will come along and add to this list, but it's a start.

Tony

Hi, an quick update, we loaded (our) Moonshadow up on Good Friday, and spent the rest of the weekend to cruise around to North Oxford Canal, 20 mins by car each way 2 + days to cruise it ...Great!

Thanks to the Royal wedding had another 4 day break last weekend and ventured onto the Ashby and kept passing/ being passed by another Moonshadow...so there is more than one boat of that name !

Another weekend about to start but weather forecast not good for Saturday, but we do not mind, may cruise down to Braunston and back.

Absolutely thilled with the boat, no problems to date and the couple of minor items such as leaking waste pipe and trim falling off shelf in wardrobe now fixed. a bit of painting needed sometime this year when I feel like it.

Starting to plan our summer holidays now we have a full 16 days to fill rather than 12.5 days we use to have, roll on summer and hope to meet a few of you on the cut.

Boatingbiker

Edited by Boatingbiker

I saw TWO on the Coventry last weekend.

Tony

Hi Christian,

Daily:

•  
  • Are there enough beers on board
  • Engine oil level
  • Engine coolant level
  • Engine belts condition and tightness
  • Stern gland greaser
  • Battery SOC
  • Do you need more beers

Weekly:

•  
  • Fuel level
  • Domestic water level

I'm sure others will come along and add to this list, but it's a start.

Tony

Thanks Tony, funny how the only bit I knew was the beers! Being new, give us a clue what SOC is?

Thanks Tony, funny how the only bit I knew was the beers! Being new, give us a clue what SOC is?

State Of Charge :)

You can measure Specific Gravity with one of those Halfords things that you dip in the top of the battery, or you can buy a Smart Gauge.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Survey done today, few areas to work on, which seem reasonably straight forward and the chap carrying out the survey suggests we've nothing to worry about. Hull has lost at most 0.3mm from a 6mm start and been in water 10-11 years so bit of a confidence builder.

Does need some steel welding though, three holes almost in a straight line from the dump through tank which is obviously not a lined tank from the toilet. Seems a bit strange what has gone on there but with a new plate welded on should solve it for a few years to come.

Blacking started today, should be back in the water on Tuesday and then off we go!

Hello

Am new.

But cannot be to boating as am not where canals are, nor likely to be.

But read about them & look at pictures & find it very interesting & worth day dreaming about, which at least means I stay warm & dry & clean.

This forum is very nicely providing vicarious boating enjoyment, so thank you all.

I tend not to comment on boaty bits as very little knowledge.

My cat thinks this is easier than him doing anything as well.

Thank you

My cat thinks this is easier than him doing anything as well.

Thank you

:smiley_offtopic: Funniest thing I ever saw online was in a live 'room' where some serious discussions were being held by some very high-powered folk from around the world.

Suddenly the VP of the company typed "/;;l9mnh77gbvf54axdq1".

There was a pause, while we all waited for an explanation.

"Sorry, my cat just walked across the keyboard"

Tony

Hello to everyone out there,

My name is 'tree' and my 38ft n/b is called 'treespirit', I am currently moored in a marina on the Grand Union after buying my boat early this year. I am a novice and look forward to attending an Engine Maintenance course asp (work permitting), so that I can keep my lickle beauty in good order and one of the prettiest boats on the 'cut'. Happy cruising days always everyone :)

Hi,

I am hopefully on my way to being new to boating in Birmingham. Or possibly Bristol.

James

Hi,

I am hopefully on my way to being new to boating in Birmingham. Or possibly Bristol.

James

Hello everyone.

Just in the process of purchasing a 2006 viking 28 narrow beam and have sorted a mooring at Aston Marina on the Trent and Mersey. I may apply for a residential mooring in time but like the idea of the facilities and support as we are complete novices and they gave me a good deal to moor amongst all those long steel things :blush:

Got a list of questions which I hope the current owner can solve but no doubt I will be expressing my daft questions on here too.

Great site and good people, perfect.

Rob

Hi everyone.

I am a new to owning a boat although I have been a fan of historic narrowboats for a few years.

Finally got my feet wet (pun) and bought an ex ice breaker (hence my name) in need of restoration.

She will shortly be heading to a hardstanding near the River Witham.

I plan to have her ready for the South Kyme gathering in 2012.

Love to hear from anyone on the Witham.

She has an Ailsa Craig Ricardo RP1 1944 vintage engine. If anyone has any info on these, eg manual I would be grateful. :help:

hi, i am looking for some help, my ex husband passed away recently leaving his canal boat to his children, due to their ages i am responsible for the sale and do not know one end of a boat from another !!! Can anybody please tell me what information i need to give to sell the boat and where on earth i start xxxx

hi, i am looking for some help, my ex husband passed away recently leaving his canal boat to his children, due to their ages i am responsible for the sale and do not know one end of a boat from another !!! Can anybody please tell me what information i need to give to sell the boat and where on earth i start xxxx

Hi Teemie, welcome to the forum.

Where is the boat kept?

Richard