Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi teemie,

Firstly sorry for your recent loss.

There are two main ways of selling boats:

1) Privately, have a look at Appolloduck website to get an idea of adverts

2) Through a broker, who will charge an agreed commission on the completion of the sale.

There are pros and cons for each method of selling.

If you have a look at a few brokers websites you will get an idea of the information provided. The type of info typically provided

1) How long is the boat in feet? (if widebeam how wide, ie: what is the beam?)

2) What year was it made and who was it made by? (Eg: Liverpool boats, Colecraft, Reeves etc)

3) What engine does the boat have? How many hours on the clock?

4) When does the Boat Safety Certificate expire (MOT for boats that lasts for 4 years)

5) Recent maintenance.

6) What type of heating system/water/electric systems on boat.

You can try the following sites to get an idea of the info presented by brokers

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/

http://www.abnb.co.uk/

http://www.vcmarine.co.uk/

John

Edited by JDR

It is kept in warwickshire, thanks for the welcome x

If you really know nothing about boats, it may be best to use a broker to sell your boat.

There are several brokers in Warwickshire and the surrounding area. If you wanted to begin to understand what that could mean, Dominic M is a broker who is a member of this forum, and has a reputation for being fair and approachable. Perhaps you could contact him?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Hello Teemie --- must be a difficult time for you.

In your position, I would be inclined to sell the boat through a broker.

I have never used one so I couldn't recommend, but others may give you some ideas.

Dominic M of Rugby Boats is a member of the Forum & may be able to give you some ideas if he sees the thread.

Regards.

Ha -- beaten to it.

Edited by Midnight Rider

thank you so much for that john, I do have the added problem that the engine on the boat is not working at the moment which is no doubt going to make it more difficult!! I am not sure what the boating term for a fixer upper but i think it is one of those!

I would suggest speaking to a local boatyard/broker to get an idea of the cost of fixing the boat versus how much boat is worth in its current condition. Anything is fixable on a boat but there is obviously a cost involved. How old is the boat? What length is it? Do you know who the boatbuilder was? If you could provide that information then I'm sure somebody on the forum would be able to give you an approximate idea of the value of the boat in working order.

Edited by JDR

thank you all for your advice, i must admit i do want the boat to be sold as soon as possible, as the boys dad fell from the boat and drowned so i can't bare to spend enough time on it to improve its condition, sorry if i sounded morbid, didn't mean to bare my soul, but i just want you to know how thankful i am for your advice x

hi, i am looking for some help, my ex husband passed away recently leaving his canal boat to his children, due to their ages i am responsible for the sale and do not know one end of a boat from another !!! Can anybody please tell me what information i need to give to sell the boat and where on earth i start xxxx

Teemie - Selling boats is what I do and if you want to contact me - 01327 342211 - I will be more than happy to help you without any obligation on your part. Or if you prefer, go to my website and email from there.

Dominic

If you make one more post you will be able to use private message function, you can then contact Dominic M as suggested

who will be able to give you a professional's opinion.

I can understand why you would want shot of the boat, good luck and if you have any other questions then ask away, I know bugger all compared to most of the members on here but I'm sure your questions won't go unanswered.

Edit: Dominic M has beaten me to it , suggest you take him up on his offer.

John

Edited by JDR

Hi there as you can guess were are new to boating...my husband and i decided to buy a do it up in Feb this year and bought a 19ft Dawncraft Dandy as a shell and I am pleased to say she will be launched this week with some luck.

Hi everyone, my name is Andy and i live in Wednesfield nr Wolverhampton. After several holidays on a narrowboat i thought it was time to get a boat to use. So now i am the owner of 43 foot Tin Lizzie which is currently at Mercia Marina. I have several questions i would like to ask, some just general advice and others to help me identify something that is near the control dials. Looking forward to being a member here.

Morning all,

Thought i'd introduce myself as im new to the world of boating.

I bought a 41ft 1980 Springer narrowboat "Forest of Dean" last month & have spent the last few weeks making her my home.

She's moored on the River Medway in Tonbridge & im starting to learn the systems & maintenance.

Im hoping to start cruising soon but with Eldridges Lock shut we cant get very far :(

James

Hi all, i dont have a boat but I know someone that does :). It a Swan line cruiser 1975( whatever that means). She has gutted it to a bear shell. It is amost finished now, last week she was on a test sail and got caugh up in a lock bending the rudder. The boat was limped home very slow with limited left hand steer. Down side is all local dry docks are fully booked for months. So I'm here to try and help and friend in need. Iv had a brief look over the site and im looking forward to getting to k ow you all more and becoming part o the community. Where is the best place to post a "Info needed" question?

Thank you

Anthony

Hi,

Welcome to the forum

Boatbuilding and Maintenance would be the best place to ask your question.

However - do you know if the rudder has come out of the bottom bearing? That's quite a common problem and would give you the symptoms you describe

You can fix it without needing a dry dock

This is our rudder and propeller:

Drydock006.jpg

You can see that the rudder is sitting in a cup on a bar below the propeller - this is the skeg (boating is full of ancient names for bits of boats)

If the rudder got caught up in a lock, it can get lifted out of the cup and drops down the side.

To fix it, pull the rudder up and try to drop it back in the cup. It's a bit of a fiddle, but it can be done

Richard

Hi,

Welcome to the forum

Boatbuilding and Maintenance would be the best place to ask your question.

However - do you know if the rudder has come out of the bottom bearing? That's quite a common problem and would give you the symptoms you describe

You can fix it without needing a dry dock

This is our rudder and propeller:

Drydock006.jpg

You can see that the rudder is sitting in a cup on a bar below the propeller - this is the skeg (boating is full of ancient names for bits of boats)

If the rudder got caught up in a lock, it can get lifted out of the cup and drops down the side.

To fix it, pull the rudder up and try to drop it back in the cup. It's a bit of a fiddle, but it can be done

Richard

Thank you for your help richard, I will pass the info onto her today, I will let you know what she says. As iv not seen the boat.

Thank you

Anthony

In fact, being bent isn't a major problem, as long as it still turns. If you look at the picture of our rudder above, it is very bent - it doesn't pass through the middle of the hole in the bottom of the boat

It is also not flat:

168.jpg

I would say that 90% of the hire boats in the country are like this and work fine

But your friend's rudder is stiff and has limited movement on one side. That's a bit different

Richard

Hello,

I'm very new to boating and after my Dad suggesting that it may be something that I'd enjoy, I've been on a mission for the last two months to find a boat, and to do as much research as possible. I've paid for a mooring in a marina for a year, had a survey done on a boat and today will be going to see the boat and seller to discuss 'the next steps'. It is a private sell, so not through a broker, so I'm wondering what kind of documentation I should receive in terms of a receipt/bill of sale. Something to prove that I have paid the money and the vessel belongs to me. She's a 48' widebeam and I'm so excited about moving on board.

Thanks

Karen

Just to Thank you all for your help, She has sorted the rudder, it was folded back under the boat she had a steel plate with a cut out init made to put round the rudder and 3 ppl pulled it back. Worked a treat :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, my name is Baz and I'm in the process of looking for a narrow boat to live aboard as well as a suitable mooring etc. I've got the usual new guy questions and have found a lot of answers on this forum, so thanks for your help so far!

Hi There, I'm Dan and I am new to boating as well!

I am looking at buying a narrow boat in the next few months and living aboard in the Cambridge area. Having done some research on moorings around Cambridge, I have come to see that it is almost impossible boating on the Cam. Although the EA were quite helpful in pointing me to their moorings in Upware and other wild moorings that they have.

I will no doubt be posting on here to ask all the newby questions, if they haven't been asked already!

Cheers,

Dan