Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi all,

New to boats and to the forum, looking to get a boat eventually so joined the forum to increase my rather limited knowledge of boating and the waterways.

Hi all,

New to boats and to the forum, looking to get a boat eventually ( I take you have the corrct paperwork and certificates to prove your insanity) so joined the forum to increase my rather limited knowledge of boating and the waterways. (arrgh, could be a problem there then)

Serious now, welcome the the forum, there is a lot of knowledge on here, just need to sort the wheat from the chaff sometimes. ;)

Serious now, welcome the the forum, there is a lot of knowledge on here, just need to sort the wheat from the chaff sometimes. ;)

Haha, thanks for the welcome bottle.

I have been reading the CWDF forum for a while and picking up bits of info here and there. Much more to take in.

well hello!

We are Steven and Anne - together with Fizz the dog! We have been bitten the canal bug (a better class of bug than the midgies of Western Scotland!) in a very short space of time!

We had our first canal holiday experience in the summer - hiring from Anglo Welsh at Great Haywood! (1st class introduction - I rate them very highly). The first day was a nightmare! Mrs couldnt get to grips with the steering lark, and wasn't strong/confident enough to manage the locks! So I did it all - and I was wrecked by the end on day 1!

However - after a little while, the whole driving-the-boat lark sorted its-self out, and Mrs got the hang of not crashing and bouncing her way into the locks and bridges, and the holiday got a whole lot better! By day 4 it was a dream! Teamwork of the highest order!

A fortnight later and we were gutted that it was over! So - we booked up for October half term out of Sawley! This time we made sure we addressed issues that became apparent during our first holiday afloat! We had an even better holiday that 2nd time - even though it was colder! Top tip for us for the next time = look at the map and don't plan a cruise that shares a route with a railway line for the WHOLE duration!

We now have an even more defined set of boat requirements for our next hire.

And all this is before we buy our own boat!

We are looking at a whole range of boats and layouts that we might consider for our own boat in the future.

So - here we are - looking to share (take advatage of?) the wealth of information available here while we decide and make decisions!

:cheers:

• Greenie 1

well hello!

We are Steven and Anne - together with Fizz the dog! We have been bitten the canal bug (a better class of bug than the midgies of Western Scotland!) in a very short space of time!

We had our first canal holiday experience in the summer - hiring from Anglo Welsh at Great Haywood! (1st class introduction - I rate them very highly). The first day was a nightmare! Mrs couldnt get to grips with the steering lark, and wasn't strong/confident enough to manage the locks! So I did it all - and I was wrecked by the end on day 1!

However - after a little while, the whole driving-the-boat lark sorted its-self out, and Mrs got the hang of not crashing and bouncing her way into the locks and bridges, and the holiday got a whole lot better! By day 4 it was a dream! Teamwork of the highest order!

A fortnight later and we were gutted that it was over! So - we booked up for October half term out of Sawley! This time we made sure we addressed issues that became apparent during our first holiday afloat! We had an even better holiday that 2nd time - even though it was colder! Top tip for us for the next time = look at the map and don't plan a cruise that shares a route with a railway line for the WHOLE duration!

We now have an even more defined set of boat requirements for our next hire.

And all this is before we buy our own boat!

We are looking at a whole range of boats and layouts that we might consider for our own boat in the future.

So - here we are - looking to share (take advatage of?) the wealth of information available here while we decide and make decisions!

:cheers:

Hi to you both

I'm a afraid you made the same mistake as us - hiring a narrow boat!

Well it cant be helped now, you are stricken.

The first thing you need with boating is time, all else will fall into place.

We retired 10 years ago and felt the need to find something to occupier us - and keep us fit

After ten years of wandering around the whole country we now know it was a brilliant decision.

Good luck with it all

Alex

Thanks for the welcome and advice! Since the summer we have taken every opportinity to look at a range of boats - if we have been out and about, and passing a marina or boat yard we have had a look in!

We will be hiring a few more times yet before we save up take the plunge! The only downside is that our spec is growing and is not really available in the average hire fleet by the looks of things! We will just have to get our own boat that much quicker! :lol:

With a bit of luck, it will be as nice a looking boat as yours! :cheers:

Welcome Steven and Anne,

Aah! - You're clearly beyond redemption - - so you might as well now throw yourselves wholeheartedly into boating.

We made similar mistakes to you a few years ago - - - and now look where that's got us!!!

Sold house, cleared debts, and spent the kids inheritance on a boat

'Tis a wonderful life :closedeyes:

Hi all, me and the mrs hope to be buying our first boat in the new year. We want something around 60ft what sleeps upto 6. Will be after loads of advice in the coming months and I'm sure you'll be sick of me in no time. Our other passion is our 67 VW Splitscreen camper which I suppose is the auto version of the canal boat?

Hi all, me and the mrs hope to be buying our first boat in the new year. We want something around 60ft what sleeps upto 6. Will be after loads of advice in the coming months and I'm sure you'll be sick of me in no time. Our other passion is our 67 VW Splitscreen camper which I suppose is the auto version of the canal boat?

Hi & Welcome.

These might be of help if you are looking for a six berth

Black Prince Sales

Alex

The nearest canal equivalent to a '67 splitscreen is likely to be one on the 30-36ft Springer narrowboats. On the cut you can meet the floating equivelant of winnebagos and wheelbarrows and everything in between and also outside those parameters. A 60' footer is well up among the multi-wheelers. Good luck with the quest.

I would like to say hello to the Forum and Happy New Year. I have recently bought a 40' ex-hire boat for my first venture onto the waterways. Ive only waited 30 years so am very excited, I'm hoping my well maintained and robust nb will be a good start and although I did the Helmsmans course I've only managed one trip out so far. I live in Scotland at the moment so the boat is a long way off but Im lucky enough to be able to take early retirement and from April will be freeeeeee!!! Im intending to visit friends and family dotted around the country but know I've loads to learn and a crew to find yet!! How do others on their own manage? This website looks really helpful already with practical advice so I expect I will be posting and reading very regularly. Lyn and Yavanna

I would like to say hello to the Forum and Happy New Year. I have recently bought a 40' ex-hire boat for my first venture onto the waterways. Ive only waited 30 years so am very excited, I'm hoping my well maintained and robust nb will be a good start and although I did the Helmsmans course I've only managed one trip out so far. I live in Scotland at the moment so the boat is a long way off but Im lucky enough to be able to take early retirement and from April will be freeeeeee!!! Im intending to visit friends and family dotted around the country but know I've loads to learn and a crew to find yet!! How do others on their own manage? This website looks really helpful already with practical advice so I expect I will be posting and reading very regularly. Lyn and Yavanna

Wow sounds like you will be taking a big adventure especially if you are single handed. Good luck with that and also on your early retirement you are very lucky :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, If you follow the link below it should take you to Waterways World website and the January 2010 edition, if you scroll through the pages ( some are shown as not available) you will get to an article on No Crew, No Problem (its on page 64) which is about working boats single hanaded, it may help you.

http://reader.waterwaysworld.com/reader.cgi?issue=2010-01&page=2-3

Dave

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hello peeps! I'm a very newbie to boating. Been a member on the site since last year, encouraged by him in doors, but haven't been actively making input as I didn't really feel I should until last weekend... yes, yes, we've done it; we've put the deposit on our first and hopefully we'll be out there in about 3 weeks or less on Hunter in the Lee & Stort region. So now I feel sufficiently qualified to join in with the odd message or two. The other 'arf knows a thing or two about the narrow boating lark so thankfully I'm in good hands... so if you see us about, we're Chrissie & Steve; give us a wave or even a shout! Sorry; a bit of inadvertent poetry!!! :P

hi we're new as well just wanting to read the forums a bit first, well hi everyone.

A bit belated but hello, and welcome to the forum!

Hello peeps! I'm a very newbie to boating. Been a member on the site since last year, encouraged by him in doors, but haven't been actively making input as I didn't really feel I should until last weekend... yes, yes, we've done it; we've put the deposit on our first and hopefully we'll be out there in about 3 weeks or less on Hunter in the Lee & Stort region. So now I feel sufficiently qualified to join in with the odd message or two. The other 'arf knows a thing or two about the narrow boating lark so thankfully I'm in good hands... so if you see us about, we're Chrissie & Steve; give us a wave or even a shout! Sorry; a bit of inadvertent poetry!!! :P

Welcome and congratulations! There's nothing quite like the thrill of taking your own boat out for the first time.

Good luck and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Bryn. I do not currently own a boat, but have always fancied living on the water, so have just took my 1st step into making it a reality. I have booked a hire boat for 4 nights at the end of Feb, to get a small taste of life afloat. My partner, the mother in law and I will be travelling from Gayton to Braunston, so you never know, i might bump into one or two people from the forum (hopefully not literally) :rolleyes:

Hello,

I know absolutely nothing at all about boating as yet, please be kind!

I am investigating the question of investing in a boat as a home and as a venue for my children's party business at the weekends.

I have another thread in the general section (many problems have come up so far, but that's great because they arise to be solved) any suggestions/advice is much appreciated.

I am from New Zealand... I'm not used to so many regulations about everything... but it's best to be informed!

Nice to meet you all,

Best Wishes

Flame**)

Hi my name is Bryn. I do not currently own a boat, but have always fancied living on the water, so have just took my 1st step into making it a reality. I have booked a hire boat for 4 nights at the end of Feb, to get a small taste of life afloat. My partner, the mother in law and I will be travelling from Gayton to Braunston, so you never know, i might bump into one or two people from the forum (hopefully not literally) :rolleyes:

Welcome Bryn. I hope you'll find the forum helpful, just keep asking (and searching!) enjoy your trip

Welcome to the forum Bryn! People thinking about living afloat are advised to hire in the winter, so hiring in February is a good start. Best of luck - let us know how you get on.

Hello,

I know absolutely nothing at all about boating as yet, please be kind!

I am investigating the question of investing in a boat as a home and as a venue for my children's party business at the weekends.

I have another thread in the general section (many problems have come up so far, but that's great because they arise to be solved) any suggestions/advice is much appreciated.

I am from New Zealand... I'm not used to so many regulations about everything... but it's best to be informed!

Nice to meet you all,

Best Wishes

Flame**)

Welcome to the forum Fyre-Faery and best of luck with your venture :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there Guys and Gals

My name is Tony and I have just joined the forum after many months of 'lurking' on the other side of the fence...so to speak..... I must say that everyone seems to be a very helpful and friendly bunch, and it will nice to be apart of the comunity.

I have been living in the mountains of Spain for nearly 11 years now and it is now time to start my new adventure of canal boat living back in the Uk. I have my house on the market and will be aiming to hopefully buy a boat this year...its all in the laps of the gods and a potential buyer !! I was toying with buying a boat 11 years ago before I came to live in Spain but the Spanish climate seemed to decide things for me then. I enjoyed many a holiday on canal boats and was a constant visitor to the Gloucester and Sharpness canal when i lived in Gloucestershire.......so its now time to pick up were i left off...........

....so if anyone wants to swop a canal boat life for a Spanish one let me know B)

Regards to all

Tony

Hi there Guys and Gals

My name is Tony and I have just joined the forum after many months of 'lurking' on the other side of the fence...so to speak..... I must say that everyone seems to be a very helpful and friendly bunch, and it will nice to be apart of the comunity.

I have been living in the mountains of Spain for nearly 11 years now and it is now time to start my new adventure of canal boat living back in the Uk. I have my house on the market and will be aiming to hopefully buy a boat this year...its all in the laps of the gods and a potential buyer !! I was toying with buying a boat 11 years ago before I came to live in Spain but the Spanish climate seemed to decide things for me then. I enjoyed many a holiday on canal boats and was a constant visitor to the Gloucester and Sharpness canal when i lived in Gloucestershire.......so its now time to pick up were i left off...........

....so if anyone wants to swop a canal boat life for a Spanish one let me know B)

Regards to all

Tony

Hello Tony!

Welcome to Canal World.

You will find, in the main, that most people are friendly and lighthearted about most issues and thankfully, for whatever questions you have or whatever you want to know, there is always someone who can come up with a good answer or solution if its a problem.

I hope you get a boat sorted very soon. My partner and I are actually getting afloat one day this week (how excited) and although we are new to boating as a lifestyle a bit of experience has come through holidays on board.

Take care and stay focused! You'll get there/here in the end!

Chrissie

Hi Chrissie,

Thanks for your welcome note, am glad to be onboard, cos i'm sure i will have lots of questions when the big day comes. This site seems to have a wealth of information and knowledge..just what us newbies need, so that we in turn can pass it on later.

Good luck with your new experience this week...hope all goes to plan and that the weather is kind for you both.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...