Bridgewater Canal

Liam

Featured Posts

I have heard from many sources through the grapvevine that the many Bridgewater and Non Bridgewater licensed boat owners that for one reason or another (over staying) that they have now been asked to move on, through the medium of a laminated piece of paper being attached to their boat through the use of a cable tie.

Depending on whether you are an over stayer or merely passing through and unable to get to your boat for a couple of weeks on the Bridgewater, I think it would be in your best interest to double check with Mike Webb that you are not one of the 'chosen few'.

I have heard that a penalty of £25 is to be paid if you haven't moved your boat for 7 days, so don't leave yourself open to such a penalty.

Liam.

I have heard from many sources through the grapvevine that the many Bridgewater and Non Bridgewater licensed boat owners that for one reason or another (over staying) that they have now been asked to move on, through the medium of a laminated piece of paper being attached to their boat through the use of a cable tie.

Depending on whether you are an over stayer or merely passing through and unable to get to your boat for a couple of weeks on the Bridgewater, I think it would be in your best interest to double check with Mike Webb that you are not one of the 'chosen few'.

I have heard that a penalty of £25 is to be paid if you haven't moved your boat for 7 days, so don't leave yourself open to such a penalty.

Liam.

Can I have a mini portion of BW popcorn please......

Liam.

That is cheaper than 7 days mooring in a marina :cheers: .... and cheaper than a family ticket to the cinema without the popcorn :help:

What is the position on the Bridgewater about boats with a BW licence returning after a while away? I know that you are limited to 7 days at a time but is there a restriction on how many visits you can make and has there to be a time lapse between them? I tried to find the info on line but can't seem to find it.

haggis

What is the position on the Bridgewater about boats with a BW licence returning after a while away? I know that you are limited to 7 days at a time but is there a restriction on how many visits you can make and has there to be a time lapse between them? I tried to find the info on line but can't seem to find it.

haggis

This seesm to imply (though specifically does not say) 7 days in any one year.

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/bridgewater-canal/boating

The Bridgewater Canal is run by the Manchester Ship Canal Company, which issues its own licences. However, under a reciprocal arrangement, British Waterways licence-holders can make use of the canal free of charge for a limited period each year.

This seesm to imply (though specifically does not say) 7 days in any one year.

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/bridgewater-canal/boating

The Bridgewater Canal is run by the Manchester Ship Canal Company, which issues its own licences. However, under a reciprocal arrangement, British Waterways licence-holders can make use of the canal free of charge for a limited period each year.

I saw that bit, Martin, but as it is on the Waterscape site and not the Bridgewater one, I wonderd how accurate it is. I aslo read somwhere that boats are limited to 7 days at a time which seems to suggest repeat visits are OK. I would like to find out for sure as our shared boat is at Acton Bridge till April and it is possible that different owners may wish to cruise up the Bridgewater before then. We have actually done this in the past and it has never crossed my mind before that we might be contravening the Bridgewater conditions.

haggis

I saw that bit, Martin, but as it is on the Waterscape site and not the Bridgewater one, I wonderd how accurate it is. I aslo read somwhere that boats are limited to 7 days at a time which seems to suggest repeat visits are OK. I would like to find out for sure as our shared boat is at Acton Bridge till April and it is possible that different owners may wish to cruise up the Bridgewater before then. We have actually done this in the past and it has never crossed my mind before that we might be contravening the Bridgewater conditions.

haggis

I think it is interesting that they have chosen to crack down at this time of year when there aren't many boats passing through and I wonder if it is really the persistent overstayers at places like Castlefield and Lymm who they are wanting to deal with, because some of those boats haven't moved for years.

It isn't clear whether you can return after a period of time but I will put it to the test next year because I will probably spend a couple of separate weeks on that canal.

Cant say i have noticed persistant overstayers at Castlefield and i visit several times a year for two or three day stays , Lymm on the other hand seems to suffer from local moorers who move onto the village moorings just to prevent others having a day visit , engines running in gear ,shouting loudly across the canal to each other about how much their boat is worth , the cake shop goodies and lots of laughs at the village moorings.

Cant say i have noticed persistant overstayers at Castlefield and i visit several times a year for two or three day stays , Lymm on the other hand seems to suffer from local moorers who move onto the village moorings just to prevent others having a day visit , engines running in gear ,shouting loudly across the canal to each other about how much their boat is worth , the cake shop goodies and lots of laughs at the village moorings.

There are boats at Castlefield - not the trip boats - that have been there for up to three years, but it isn't usually a problem because there always seems to be room somewhere there to moor. Lymm is a different proposition, although only one boat, Jed, seems to be a permanent fixture on the 48 hour mooring. I wonder if he has had a notice?

Lymm is a different proposition, although only one boat, Jed, seems to be a permanent fixture on the 48 hour mooring. I wonder if he has had a notice?

I did enquire when I found out. Everybody who got ticketed has moved on, but he's still sat in his usual mooring apparently.

LEGEND

Took the pic so i had something to complain back about if he complained about my music , he never has during my many visits , good egg.

DSCF8142.jpg

There are boats at Castlefield - not the trip boats - that have been there for up to three years, but it isn't usually a problem because there always seems to be room somewhere there to moor. Lymm is a different proposition, although only one boat, Jed, seems to be a permanent fixture on the 48 hour mooring. I wonder if he has had a notice?

I generally more in the arm by the hotel/ymca and i see the wide boat and another at the entrance , i assumed they held mooring there , another small boat usually into the arm likewise , but the man off that small boat likes to make a point of waiting till i am away from the boat and then telling a member of the family we should not be mooring in the arm.

LEGEND

Took the pic so i had something to complain back about if he complained about my music , he never has during my many visits , good egg.

Agreed. Tied up at the back of him this summer and had a good natter. Smashing chap.

So the owners of the Bridgewater are going to impose a £25 charge to BW licence holders for overstaying, but what if the BW overstayer says "bollox I ain't going to pay you". What are Peel to do then, pursue them through the courts for their £25? I wouldn't think the overstayer would be to fussed and move back on to BW water to overstay there. Are Peel going to clamp them to the bank and demand a release fee or ask BW to include the charge on the next licence renewal? This could get very messy.

LEGEND

DSCF8142.jpg

I generally more in the arm by the hotel/ymca and i see the wide boat and another at the entrance , i assumed they held mooring there , another small boat usually into the arm likewise , but the man off that small boat likes to make a point of waiting till i am away from the boat and then telling a member of the family we should not be mooring in the arm.

That's not Lymm though is it. Where is it? Down near the Olde No 3?

Notice the undercut on the stern. That boat is an unsual design. I believe it was built in the UK by a Polish chap. Someone did tell me who built it but I can't remember his name.

From one of the documents cable-tied to a boat in Castlefield over the weekend, I read that after 7 days, if the boat hadn't been moved by the owner, it would be towed away. It read as though the £25 payment charge wasn't a one off cost but a reoccuring cost. Whether this was weekly or monthly etc. I cannot be sure as it didn't specifically say.

The document, which was called a "Section 9 Notice" stated that if payment hadn't been recieved after a month, the Bridgewater Canal Company could either dispose of or sell the boat, probably like the BW Section 8 notice.

That's not Lymm though is it. Where is it? Down near the Olde No 3?

Notice the undercut on the stern. That boat is an unsual design. I believe it was built in the UK by a Polish chap. Someone did tell me who built it but I can't remember his name.

Yes that is Lymm, taken from the non-towpath side over to the towpath side. Roughtly opposite the car park which is in front of the Lymm British Legion.

And the name you're after is Ken Bonikowski.

Yes that is Lymm, taken from the non-towpath side over to the towpath side. Roughtly opposite the car park which is in front of the Lymm British Legion.

And the name you're after is Ken Bonikowski.

Thanks I recognise the place now. There are lots of photos of the canal in Lymm on Google Earth but Jed doesn't feature. He must have gone to the Olde No 3 for water :rolleyes:

Ken Bonikowski is indeed his name. Thanks for that.

• 2 months later...

Having past through the Bridgewater and Manchester a few times in the last couple of years, there was an un-licenced ex-hireboat moored for a considerable time at Worsley but the last time we passed through he was on the Rochdale 9 just above Lock 92. Still with no licence.

So is it a case of staying on the Bridgewater until you get moved on, onto BW waters until you get moved on and then back to the Bridgewater, and so on?

Edited by pearley

So the owners of the Bridgewater are going to impose a £25 charge to BW licence holders for overstaying, but what if the BW overstayer says "bollox I ain't going to pay you". What are Peel to do then, pursue them through the courts for their £25? I wouldn't think the overstayer would be to fussed and move back on to BW water to overstay there. Are Peel going to clamp them to the bank and demand a release fee or ask BW to include the charge on the next licence renewal? This could get very messy.

I wondered about that too ! I doubt that even the mightly peel holdings could get away with towing someones boat away and disposing of it after only 7 days notice - think legally they would have to show that they'd made some reasonable attempt to contact/trace the owner first and I'd doubt seven days would be regarded as enough...

that said I have some sympathy with them if its the same offenders every time..

Jon