Single Females - Do you feel safe?

Clarity

Featured Posts

As a single female (not liveaboard) I have plenty of single blokes moored up around me. I maybe give them the wrong impression, as I talk to everyone or anyone (part of my job and personality im afraid), prolly just me, but they always seem to go out there way to help me/talk to me....which is nice but I always get the impression after the offer of coming on there boat and a drink they expect something else, due to past boyfriends I guess this has made me insecure...so I do one...but the genuine ones have always been there the next day......

Should I be harder and tell them to foook off? or be nice and them think they in with a chance? or is there there an inbetween?....I'd like to think so.....

Do me a favour and someday I might return it...nothing to do sex0r, making friends is whats its all about in life...

I appreciate there help dont get me wrong but when they expect something rude in return, then Im sorry Im not interested........

Be honest, but if some says they like you something in the relationship has to change.

Yes.

I lived on a boat on the towpath in the middle of Huddersfield and felt perfectly safe on board. The very small chance of your personal safety being at risk is when you're outside, on your way home, so it makes no difference whether that Home is a boat or a house.

In many ways as a female you're safer. Less likely to get into fights for example.

Yes.

I lived on a boat on the towpath in the middle of Huddersfield and felt perfectly safe on board. The very small chance of your personal safety being at risk is when you're outside, on your way home, so it makes no difference whether that Home is a boat or a house.

In many ways as a female you're safer. Less likely to get into fights for example.

That's a very good point! I worry very much about my son when he's out on the town, not because he's a fighter (he's a gentle soul) but because there's a chance he may be picked on because he's a young male by another young male just wanting to pick a fight, and I know he hasn't any fighting experience to deal with this.

I'm not single but do spend a fair amount of time on the boat on my own when hubby needs to shop or fetch the car. I'm not a great fan of town centres and have had a few moments of worry when groups of rowdy youngsters have passed the boat after pub chucking out time, but nothing sinister has happened to date after over two years living on the towpath. We are very careful where we moor though - it's all down to common sense really.

That's a very good point! I worry very much about my son when he's out on the town, not because he's a fighter (he's a gentle soul) but because there's a chance he may be picked on because he's a young male by another young male just wanting to pick a fight, and I know he hasn't any fighting experience to deal with this.

I'm not single but do spend a fair amount of time on the boat on my own when hubby needs to shop or fetch the car. I'm not a great fan of town centres and have had a few moments of worry when groups of rowdy youngsters have passed the boat after pub chucking out time, but nothing sinister has happened to date after over two years living on the towpath. We are very careful where we moor though - it's all down to common sense really.

I was amazed the last time I went to a nightclub (It was a stag do - I hate the places) at how ready some of the guys just seemed 'up for' a ruddy good punch up just for the sheer hell of it.

Lots of posturing and staring each other out, I'm no coward but I and a few others made our excuses to leave early and found a quiet pub nearby..

Things used to occasionally kick off when I went to them in my youth but for some of these lads it just seemed to be the whole reason for going on a night out.

Hi quite frankly no l would not fell safe as a single female mooring on a dark unlit tow path.which is why l opted for a marina mooring.

As l said in a previous post l cruise with company both male and female and feel quite safe doing so,but returning alone to mooring and a dark unlit boat late at night l am sorry to say fills me with dread.

Stormforce

Hi quite frankly no l would not fell safe as a single female mooring on a dark unlit tow path.which is why l opted for a marina mooring.

As l said in a previous post l cruise with company both male and female and feel quite safe doing so,but returning alone to mooring and a dark unlit boat late at night l am sorry to say fills me with dread.

Stormforce

Yes, but that's the difference between living in a country cottage and living on a housing estate, not between living on a house and on a boat.

Stormforce

Frankly, anybody who doesn't feel a little nervous on a lonely path in the dark lacks imagination.

It's a tricky one to answer this - when you examine some of the ways in which boat dwellers have sought to secure their boat you do wonder at the risk.

I saw one recently with a sign in the window "caution, live snakes" - probably a false deterrent to intruders but would you want to be the one to find out?

You are a little more "exposed" on a canal boat, and I'll admit to feeling a little wary if I'm stood there alone at the tiller at 3mph going through some of the rougher areas of the network. But you pass through these. I too make it a rule not to moor up anywhere where there's graffiti. It can be difficult sometimes though.

I'm sure the vast majority of single liveaboards hava dog. It's not just for protection, but the sound of a dog barking will deter most opportunist thieves. One of our dogs only barks when she's on the boat, she's never barked at all on dry land. Make of that what you will.

On the subject of single females on the cut, my wife tells me Stephanie Beacham doesn't really live on a narrowboat so there's no chance I might share a lock with her one day - is this really true...

On the subject of single females on the cut, my wife tells me Stephanie Beacham doesn't really live on a narrowboat so there's no chance I might share a lock with her one day - is this really true...

Don't depress yourself, she might always hire a boat, like the lovely Calista Flockhart a few years ago.

And anyway, we've got Stargazer to look forward to meeting now. She says she's the baddest thing on the towpath, so I can't wait!

Yes I feel perfectly safe but most men are scared of me.

We should have a single girl boaty banter.

Good idea :) maybe we could also set up a group as well, contact numbers ectera, so that we could all keep in touch and give each other advice :), because sometimes (no offence chaps) you do not always feel comfortable asking chaps for help.

Good idea :) maybe we could also set up a group as well, contact numbers ectera, so that we could all keep in touch and give each other advice :), because sometimes (no offence chaps) you do not always feel comfortable asking chaps for help.

Really?

Do you feel the need for an alternative women-only engine forum (Beta Females, Lister-Sisters, Yanmar-Granmars), or is it that water-women are constructed differently from land-girls?

Because if you are not (constructed differently), then surely you can use a mainstream forum for female matters.

But if you ARE constructed differently (webbed feet, mermaid tail, perhaps) then the chaps would like to know.

Not single now, but have been, and felt perfectly safe....true, choose your areas to moor up carefully, but mostly people look out for you. Valuables...there are lots of little places on a boatr to put 'hidden' storage where anyone who might break in wouldn't find the valuables....just think out the box and look at where a discreet bit of space can be found and made into a hidden storage area.

You are never 100% safe anywhere I suppose, but I wouldn't be put off boats for that reason.

Really?

Do you feel the need for an alternative women-only engine forum (Beta Females, Lister-Sisters, Yanmar-Granmars), or is it that water-women are constructed differently from land-girls?

Because if you are not (constructed differently), then surely you can use a mainstream forum for female matters.

But if you ARE constructed differently (webbed feet, mermaid tail, perhaps) then the chaps would like to know.

Stephanie Beacham is definately contrsucted differently.

I am dissapointed that anyone, male or female, should feel unsafe on the towpath. My ex-wife felt insecure when returning home in the dark to our Inner City Portsmouth home. In general, you ladies are safer than us males!

Alan

Disappointed? That's an odd word to use.

Are you suggesting that people who do feel nervous going down dark paths are wimps, and are letting the side down? Damaging the reputation of the British people for valour in adversity.

Or do you feel Her Majesty's boys in blue are not doing their stuff?

Either way, I apologise on behalf of all those who have disappointed you.

We are duly contrite.