Single Females - Do you feel safe?

Clarity

Featured Posts

Good idea :) maybe we could also set up a group as well, contact numbers ectera, so that we could all keep in touch and give each other advice :), because sometimes (no offence chaps) you do not always feel comfortable asking chaps for help.

good idea..I'd be up for that .

Good idea :) maybe we could also set up a group as well, contact numbers ectera, so that we could all keep in touch and give each other advice :), because sometimes (no offence chaps) you do not always feel comfortable asking chaps for help.

Go for it girls.

Anything that makes you feel safer and more secure can only be a good thing, can't it?

We've recently sadly lost young Windfola, albeit for maybe different reasons, but the thought that had there been someone for her to turn to she may not have ended up as an "ex" member is reason enough for the existence of such a group.

Yes, go for it, can't do any harm.

Disappointed? That's an odd word to use.

Are you suggesting that people who do feel nervous going down dark paths are wimps, and are letting the side down? Damaging the reputation of the British people for valour in adversity.

Or do you feel Her Majesty's boys in blue are not doing their stuff?

Either way, I apologise on behalf of all those who have disappointed you.

We are duly contrite.

Probably a wrong choice of word, that's all.

Seems you are after an argument. Perhaps not.

Tolerance.

Martyn

Disappointed? That's an odd word to use.

Are you suggesting that people who do feel nervous going down dark paths are wimps, and are letting the side down? Damaging the reputation of the British people for valour in adversity.

Or do you feel Her Majesty's boys in blue are not doing their stuff?

Either way, I apologise on behalf of all those who have disappointed you.

We are duly contrite.

I read it to mean 'it's a crying shame that people don't feel safe walking a towpath because they feel society is dangerous to them. How sad that fear of crime inhibits good people from living their lives'. More an indictment of criminal offending than anything else.

I could be wrong.

:) If any lone female boater would like to join a group just for us ladies as a contact, friendship and advice group let me know as I will becoming a lone female boater next summer and although like starcoaster I am quite capable of defending myself if the situation arose, it still would be nice for me to be be able to meet up with others in a similar situation as myself :) I am not in any way trying to discriminate against any of you gentlemen , but I am a very shy person and feel that a group like this would not only benefit myself but maybe others. Some folk on the forum may not agree, but we are all different and very often a problem shared is a problem halved. My email address is on my profile. Many thanks to you all for taking the time to read this thread and reply :)

Go for it girls.

Anything that makes you feel safer and more secure can only be a good thing, can't it?

We've recently sadly lost young Windfola, albeit for maybe different reasons, but the thought that had there been someone for her to turn to she may not have ended up as an "ex" member is reason enough for the existence of such a group.

Yes, go for it, can't do any harm.

:) thanks Yellowback for understanding.

tree:)

Not any different than the men really we just like to talk more possibly.

Talk a potential attacker into submission maybe. ha.

Who's organising it then?

Hiya :) I have a couple of ladies already interested in the group and if you want to contact me then my email addy is on my profile.

tree :)

Twenty five years ago when I first thought about living on a boat on my own I reckoned I'd have to get a dog (I'm not a dog person) and "one of those car phone things" (which at that time cost as much as a car), and it would still be a bit dodgy.

When I finally got round to planning it properly 12 years ago, I discovered it's just fine, and no different from being in a house now we have mobiles as standard - except you can generally rely on the neighbours to look out for you more than you can in a typical urban area. I tend to be careful where I moor and trust my instincts, and am happy to be in a marina most of the time. But am also happy to be dropped off by worried taxi drivers at random isolated canal bridges and wander off into the darkness because I'm on 'my' territory. And I have a completely useless guard cat.

I am but a man, but if you are starting this list because you feel vulnerable as a lone woman how are you going to ensure that no men join in surreptitiously?

I am not starting this group because I feel vulnerable, it will be a friendship /support group. I am sure that there are many lone female boaters out on the cut who are quite capable of defending themselves. I will contact each lady who wants to join personally and the majority of ladies who have already contacted me have also recommended their friends. As a collective group we will all decide how to work the logistics out of settign things up. But thank you for making a valid point:)

( btw Miss Marple aint got nothing on me and if folks think starcoaster is a bit of a fiery woman well triple that when you think of me ;)

I am not starting this group because I feel vulnerable, it will be a friendship /support group. I am sure that there are many lone female boaters out on the cut who are quite capable of defending themselves. I will contact each lady who wants to join personally and the majority of ladies who have already contacted me have also recommended their friends. As a collective group we will all decide how to work the logistics out of settign things up. But thank you for making a valid point:)

( btw Miss Marple aint got nothing on me and if folks think starcoaster is a bit of a fiery woman well triple that when you think of me ;)

tree, BSp is on her own in a male dominated room, she needs,not help, but ......

Sorry but this thread was titled "Single Females - Do you feel safe?"

I would hope, and I don't suppose it's always possible, that you ladies, shy/timid or just wanting to feel a little more secure, would at the very least turn to forum members for help or whatever....safety in numbers and all that.

If there was any single female moored near to me and they were in any way worried or concerned, then I would be more than happy to help, but in this day and age, that probably counts as enticement....!!! :blush:

Seriously though, we're liveaboard couple and if my better half happened to be alone one evening for any reason, then I would hope she could call on fellow boaters if she needed to... :unsure:

A separate group for single ladies is all well and good, and if that helps as support, then great, but in reality, how many will actually be moored near to each other at the same time and thus able to actually give "in-person" support if it's dark and you need any type of assistance.

Just a suggestion, but most forum members seem pretty decent, so would a pinned topic such as "Where we're mooring tonight" maybe be a better solution. It would allow those travelling alone to moor closer to someone they have decent contact with and thus feel less "alone"....??

Hi, and thank you for your input, the group is primarily a support, friendship and advice group. Most of the ladies who have joined already, are based all over the system and the intention is for all of us to know, that if ever we want to just have a chat or need help finding any advice ecetera then at least one of us in the group would be able to point that person in the right direction.

For example if I was stuck somewhere with a boat related problem, then knowing that I could contact a fellow member who could give me the name of someone to help, wether that is someone male/female from the forum or from elsewhere that would be very beneficial as well as the fellow member giving me moral support, or being on my boat with me while I have work done.

It is so true that sometimes its is just good to talk to others if you have a worry or a problem. I have set up numerous groups in my home area which are similar to this one and I have had such positive responses from everyone involved ,which is a good thing because sadly in this day and age people can be so isolated.

It doesnt matter if you live in a house or on a boat it can be harder for lone females to feel safe, but if they know that they can call on someone in a similar situtation as themselves any time of day or night it is a comfort its

very reasuring. Because although some people on the forum may disagree, ask the majority of lone females out there what they think , and I am sure that the majority would agree that a group like this is an excellent idea :)

Sorry but this thread was titled "Single Females - Do you feel safe?"

Dear Ditchcrawler,

I do apologises for going off on a 'tangent' and slightly changing the topic of the thread. You are quite right to correct me, so now I will go stand in the corner after writing 10.000 words ,erm... ' tree, must never go off on a tangent again in the forums or the fleas of a thousand camels will invade her armpits'

That surfice enough for you or shall I do more crawling ;)

.................' tree, must never go off on a tangent again in the forums or the fleas of a thousand camels will invade her armpits'

With that many fleas in your armpits you'll have the entire forum crawling.

I am a bit concerned that as this group is repeatedly described as being for 'ladies' that I, as a mere woman, might not be welcome... :unsure:

A81D0CD2-C018-5FA7-F3CB9B7574AF735E.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it....

Edited by MJG

Dear Ditchcrawler,

I do apologises for going off on a 'tangent' and slightly changing the topic of the thread. You are quite right to correct me, so now I will go stand in the corner after writing 10.000 words ,erm... ' tree, must never go off on a tangent again in the forums or the fleas of a thousand camels will invade her armpits'

It doesn't have to be DITCHcrawling :cheers: