Boat sunk ...

Josher

Featured Posts

My Mum used to run a general store, in a nice place it must be said, but she reckoned it was the adults, especially those living in the big houses that were the rudest.

And they didn't get better the older they were.

Treated her like she was less important than them. Most of the kids and young people were fine.

Sue

Edited to add, that's some of the adults, not all by a long way I'm not generalising.

Good point. I should also have said that I find the youth of today tend not to categorise people. Even from a boating view I tend to find it is the younger fisherpersons that say "thank you" or "Hello" when I slow down is the younger group.

Thing is if you give them respect the youth will give you respect back.

Some will and some won't. We should avoid generalising about the inherent good in people, just as we shouldn't generalise about how bad certain people are.

A friend of mine was moored too close to a bridge in London several years ago when youths on the bridge started throwing stones and other objects at his boat. When he came out to see what was going on he received a torrent of abuse (baldy, wanker, etc), but instead of reacting negatively he started talking to the kids and asked them if they liked boats. They even came aboard for a few minutes and seemed genuinely interested.

However, as soon as they were back on the bridge they started throwing things again and calling him a wanker! :lol:

Edited by blackrose

This is a strange affair - I'm with those who think it's a bit previous to assume it's "yobs".

I also wouldn't assume the intention was to sink the boat just to cause a lot of damage.

Presumably Pennine cruisers would inform the police if they knew anyone who has a grudge against them, that would be my guess.

It's vandalism alright but I reckon there's real intent behind this not mindless or a random act.

I’ve noticed in life that frustrated males of middle age always blame teenagers as the scum of the earth;

but when there find out that the actual culprits are so called responsible adult, there do not get back on their high horse and say sorry, that there were wrong about the majority of the youth of today.

Who are decent human being.

And that my option (I have 3 sons who have lots of decent friends)

I have said it several times, but:

I have worked for 15 years in a secondary school in an area of mixed backgrounds, many of whom come from an an area known for its problems. Out of a sample of around 800 teenagers, there are very few problem kids. Most are fine and hard working,ready to help and have a joke. I used to think that "youths of today" were troublesome, until I worked amongst them. It's the freaking teachers that do my head in (a general statement,I like some of them.)

Edited by Guest

I am always amazed at how people are prepared to use generalisations and base their judgement on what they read in the papers especially readers of the Daily Fascist.

Well there you go, instead of 'all kids are yobs' it's 'all readers of the Daily Mail (I presume) are fascists'.

A generalisation perhaps?

Would we be correct in assuming that you, or member of your family, have something Something to do with the St John Cadets? An outstanding Voluntary Organization with a well respected Youth Section.

But why do it then, I have always assumed that one of the "thrills" of vandalism is witnessing the outcome. No point on throwing a brick if you don't see the window break.

David, I'm an ex-member, 2 of my children were Cadets, and my wife is the Badger Leader in our town, so perhaps slightly biased towards them, but they are also a very good example of the good many of the youth of today do.

Also those links just happened to be about Nottingham and were found by chance.

Well there you go, instead of 'all kids are yobs' it's 'all readers of the Daily Mail (I presume) are fascists'.

A generalisation perhaps?

No, the Daily Mail supported Oswald Mosley and appeasement with Hitler's Germany just prior to WW2 and continued thereafter to support a pact with Germany. Latterly the Daily Mail supported the Apartheid regime in South Africa and greatly supported of the Smith regime in Southern Rhodesia. Currently it supports the loony right in America and possibly the Flat Earth Society :) either the readers are facists, fellow travellers (worse in my view) or they are stupid - is that clear enough?

Edited by PaddingtonBear

The only incident of this sort that I have ever come across before occurred when the boat's owner went home, having forgotten that he'd left the water tank filling. A possibility to consider perhaps.

Except that the hose can be seen behind the policeman led into a central gap in the passenger seating area cratch cover. Unusual place for a water tank on a trip boat perhaps.

Roger

Can a standard hose pipe sink a boat over night ?

Assume a standard hose pipe deliveres about 1 gallon every minute

why would we assume that?

Obviously the flow rate varies depending on pressure but (by way of setting an order of magnitude) a flow rate of less than 2 gallons per minute is the absolute minimum needed to operate a pressure washer. Just tested a hose at home (not spectacular pressure) and got 4gpm.

At the mooring I reckon we get around 8gpm

So that's 16 tons not 2

why would we assume that?

Obviously the flow rate varies depending on pressure but (by way of setting an order of magnitude) a flow rate of less than 2 gallons per minute is the absolute minimum needed to operate a pressure washer. Just tested a hose at home (not spectacular pressure) and got 4gpm.

At the mooring I reckon we get around 8gpm

So that's 16 tons not 2

There are some right anoraks on here :lol:

No, the Daily Mail supported Oswald Mosley and appeasement with Hitler's Germany just prior to WW2 and continued thereafter to support a pact with Germany. Latterly the Daily Mail supported the Apartheid regime in South Africa and greatly supported of the Smith regime in Southern Rhodesia. Currently it supports the loony right in America and possibly the Flat Earth Society :) either the readers are facists, fellow travellers (worse in my view) or they are stupid - is that clear enough?

No, not really. I read a paper because perhaps I like the way they report sport, medical matters & tell me about the financial situation.

I don't have to follow the editorial views, I can make my own mind up thank you.

To say that anyone who buys a copy of the Daily Mail is a fascist or stupid is just laughable.

I am mid 30s & frail for boring medical reasons - I have only just stopped wearing a neck brace all the time.

I noticed, when at the shops, it was more likely to be teenagers (including the dreaded young males) who avoided running into me with bikes, supermarket trolleys, or generally crowding an obviously unstable person, whereas several times I was all but knocked over by women my mother's age, who also seem to feel that they are entitled to stare in a way that teenagers dont...

This is of course a generalisation, but have noticed at other times - such as when having chemo & looking funny - that the same happens. When out with me, family found that the ones who were gaping at the freak (me) were considerably older & (vast assumption) probably the sort who condemned youths for their bad behaviour...

No, not really. I read a paper because perhaps I like the way they report sport, medical matters & tell me about the financial situation.

I don't have to follow the editorial views, I can make my own mind up thank you.

To say that anyone who buys a copy of the Daily Mail is a fascist or stupid is just laughable.

OMG, if you believe the Mail on medical matters then you are in trouble.

Surely most papers reporting of news reflects the editors views.

OMG, if you believe the Mail on medical matters then you are in trouble.

But surely if you believe them on Financial situation then life would not be worth living and you might as well follow the medical advise and shorten your life.

So that's 16 tons...

Altogether now...

(apologies for not treating this subject with the respect it deserves but I was young once, and unlike the majority who miraculously and spontaneously become well-mannered and respectful upon reaching their majority, I didn't)

A 17yr old has been arrested for burning down Deal football club.

Sue

The former director of Doncaster Rovers Football Club went to jail, after burning down the main stand.

Presumably that means you think all Company Directors are worthless low-life criminals?

Oh, hang on...I've just proved your point.

"a bit damp" I should say so!!!

I never thought I'd hear of a hire boat sinking in the morning and being sent back out with customers by the same afternoon!

Gobsmacked!

A hire boat operator in France once told me of a grossly fat German hirer who had suffered a heart attack and died in the toilet compartment of one of their hire cruisers. They had to cut a hole in the outside of the hull, haul out the deceased, and then clean and repair the boat. It was ready for its next hirers when they arrived the following afternoon.