ANNOUNCEMENT! I seem to have a boat!

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Book your appointment with the local fire service Star - they might give you a free smoke alarm - they might even install it for you.

For your cats I have heard it suggested that an upside down plastic crate hung from the side of the boat will give them an escape platform if they fall in

Thanks everyone! Thanks for that link to the fenders too, looks good. I will see if there is any with it first.

How many fenders should I have?

I am going to make sure I am insured from the minute I have paid!

I will see if we can make a detour to the chandlers that has 20% off on the day!

At the moment she's ready to go back in the water as soon as the stern gear is done, there has been a slight delay on that apparently due to a bereavement.

I am going to wait to get a quote on the shower before giving the go ahead for her to go back in in case it's not masses and I can get that done now rather than waiting.

Ally, can I ask why you reckon Ventnor Marina should be avoided? Pm if preferred!

PM sent

Don't worry too much about moving her - it's really OK once you get under way. Just take your time and get used to

how the boat responds. Our first ever journey on a boat was from Sawley (Derby / Notts way) to Preston Brook !

The whole Trent and Mersey. It was BRILLIANT. Enjoy your time on the water ...

Good luck

Andy

Our first trip is very similar...from Barton Turns Marina, via Preston Brook, to Stretford..... Starting next Thursday.

We're very apprehensive :(

Richard

It may be a sign of the times but that does look a genuine bargain. There's one similar to yours near where I live, they started at £19,000 and I think it is down to £12,000 now. Needs a lot of work as well.

I'm so pleased you decided to go down the "steel" route, you'll soon find out why steel boats are best for the canals...

BMC 1.5 - fine engines, will go on forever but be prepared for a few teething issues. It will probably smoke like buggery when you fire her up, don't worry. Do you know if "raw water" or "keel" cooled? Lots of experience with these engines on the forum - see the vintage engines section.

I know a couple with a 30' Springer from the late 1970's - they keep talking about trading up to something bigger/newer but I suspect they can't bear to part with her. We only sold ours as it was way too small but I'd happily have another.

Best of all if you don't get on with canal boating you will get your money back if you do have to sell her.

Best of luck, Neil.

PS. that boat I referred to is "under offer " at £12,000. Underlines what a good buy you have.

If you're apprehensive about your first trip I'm happy to show you through your first few hours, do a few locks and teach you how to turn her round, if you like.

I live in Rugby so it's no trouble.

That's good of you, Carl. SC - take him up on this offer :)

Tony

:clapping:

Make sure there's a B/W sanitary station KEY on board before taking off,You''ll need to empty the Bog,also used for everything B/W. bizzard.

This is seriously good advice. Can you guess how I know???!

CONGRATS SC. SO exciting, buying a boat, especially your first :D

Mike

Cool! I hope ther is A BW key with it, otherwise I will make it a priority to get one!

The boat is currently still out of the water, assuming my engineer dude can do this coming Tues, we are going down for me to see it, him to check it and me to leave a deposit, so that I know we are all a go and I can put the notice in on my flat.

Also maybe to go and look at some marina's.

One thing I am not sure if I should be concerned about or not!

The seller told me today that he made an error in the listing (not sure how...) The engine is not a BMC 1.5 diesel, as listed, but infact a Kubota 3 cylinder diesel (1988.)

He assures me that the Kubota is actually a better engine.

I am taking an engineer with me to check the engine and everything else is in good running condition, but is one worth significantly less than the other, and assuming the engine in it works ok, is it much of a muchness?

Edited by Starcoaster

Cool! I hope ther is A BW key with it, otherwise I will make it a priority to get one!

The seller told me today that he made an error in the listing (not sure how...) The engine is not a BMC 1.5 diesel, as listed, but infact a Kubota 3 cylinder diesel (1988.)

I am taking an engineer with me to check the engine and everything else is in good running condition, but is one worth significantly less than the other, and assuming the engine in it works ok, is it much of a muchness?

A very easy mistake to make.... :rolleyes:

The boat is currently still out of the water, assuming my engineer dude can do this coming Tues, we are going down for me to see it, him to check it and me to leave a deposit, so that I know we are all a go and I can put the notice in on my flat.

Also maybe to go and look at some marina's.

I'd say this makes it an even bigger bargain. The original engine was probably a BMC1.5 and referred to in older documentation hence the listing error, bu his Dad fitted the Kubota later on.

I was chatting to a part-time boat dealer today who has just bought a Springer virtually identiacl to yours. So similar I thought it was your boat at first! He paid £7.5k for it and is planning to sell it on with a better presentation, advertising and a coat of blacking for £12k asking price, and a view to accepting offers around £11k.

Glad you found yourself a boat, Im so Jealous! Would love to live on one someday, but enjoying mine at weekends at the mo.....

Take Carlt up on his offer of boat handling and all that.....

Best Wishies

Rach x

P.S I still have horrid curtains still now, one thing after another.....

Sweet! The seller did say that the Kubota was a better engine but I wasn't sure if he was just shining me on!

If all is as it seems I seem to have a really cracking bargain here. I feel very lucky that the seller has gone to all the trouble he has to do stuff to the boat... Even the blacking he just had done was five coats, ie a proper job.

I was chatting to a part-time boat dealer today who has just bought a Springer virtually identiacl to yours. So similar I thought it was your boat at first!

Argh, don't do that to me!

I can't wait! I barely slept last night cycling between terror and excitement. I'm a bit worried about the cats and how they will adjust.

Not to mention how I will adjust to peeing in a porta potti and having to use showers on a marina!

The yard that is doing the work on it quoted me 1k to fit a shower, which I can't afford at the mo.

Does that sound like a reasonable price, by the way?

Edited by Starcoaster

Sweet! The seller did say that the Kubota was a better engine but I wasn't sure if he was just shining me on!

If all is as it seems I seem to have a really cracking bargain here. I feel very lucky that the seller has gone to all the trouble he has to do stuff to the boat... Even the blacking he just had done was five coats, ie a proper job.

Argh, don't do that to me!

I can't wait! I barely slept last night cycling between terror and excitement. I'm a bit worried about the cats and how they will adjust.

Not to mention how I will adjust to peeing in a porta potti and having to use showers on a marina!

The yard that is doing the work on it quoted me 1k to fit a shower, which I can't afford at the mo.

Does that sound like a reasonable price, by the way?

I don't always bother with my shower.

I sometimes put a bit of polythene down on the floor and have a stand up wash in the galley. Always carry a tablet of soap with you too,ready for when you fall in. bizzard