Were you there for your boat survey?

IainW

Featured Posts

I was there for all my surveys and found them interesting but very stressful.

Didn't need to ask any questions, that I can remember, but he did explain what he was doing and the one time it failed he explained why and what to do about it before he retested.

There is very litte practicle help on the certificate or failure form so any advice was gratefully received.

I'd stay.

Didn't need to ask any questions, that I can remember, but he did explain what he was doing and the one time it failed he explained why and what to do about it before he retested.

There is very litte practicle help on the certificate or failure form so any advice was gratefully received.

I'd stay.

I got there halfway through the survey, and thought I was told enough.

However, now I know what I do about boats, and surveys, and pitting, and corrosion, and other bits through this forum, would be there before the surveyor arrived next time.

Attended my survey and found it very informative indeed.

My surveyor was more than happy to spend time talking me through what he was doing, and the findings of his checks.

Also gave a great verbal report when he had finished, followed up by photos on a CD/DVD and a written report!

I would definately attend again

Good Luck :)

As a broker, I get asked this all the time.

You are paying for the survey, you are paying for the docking. You are entitled to be there all the time it is taking place. I would be there if you can. Why not?

Questions to ask: are there any serious problems?

Edited by Dominic M

You are paying for the survey, you are paying for the docking. You are entitled to be there all the time it is taking place. I would be there if you can. Why not?

Exactly so. It gives you the chance to see for yourself what the bit boat normally under the water looks like, and if you are fairly new to boating gives you a much better understanding of what the words in the survey actually mean - what is the significance of reference to pitting, or nicks in the propellor or wear in the propellor shaft? What degree of wear is simply cosmetic and at what point is immediate attention essential? If the report refers to e.g. the uxter plate or chine, what is that - what does it look like?

I just can't see why you would not want to be there to see for yourself and to talk about anything you don't understand with the expert who is looking at it for you.

Edited by Tam & Di

Prepare the boat. Let me repeat that. Prepare the boat. The surveyor will only survey what he can see/get at. A cluttered gas locker will be mentioned, but no assesment of the condition itself 'will be possible'. Make bilges, lockers, under the sterndeck, electrics, etc accesable, or your survey will be one big disclaimer. Be there, to assist the surveyor, when something needs to be moved (he won't move things).

If you have a hull survey, power wash the crud off before the survey.

• Greenie 1

Had a survey done just a few weeks ago on a three yr old 60 ft boat l was thinking of buying.Broker wanted me to attend, was really interesting surveyor was really good and informative.

Show me blacking which was done only last year but not very well and recommended doing it again next year.showed me the pitting that had started.

Boat was re-floated went over electrics and engine said it was the bees knees.

Started through interior, oh dear major interior defects with the build, leading to major condensation damage that would only get worse.

Can,t go into too much detail as l understand that the owner is now seeking interior re- build from builder but needless to say all fittings lights/hinges/sockets were all corroded and major damp.

Surveyor said it looked like a 20yr old boat.

I have been to brokers who have said get a survey done but why bother on a three yr old boat. Boy am l glad l did at 65k its a lot to throw away,cost was £700 more than worth it.

14Skipper

Edited by 14skipper

I'd stay.

The question is about surveys, you seem to be talking about a BSC inspection.

We were on site for the survey of what was Frogmoore III.

The surveyor was Eddie Freeman. He was only too happy for us to be there, taking time to explain what he was doing and looking for.

When the survey was over I said "If you were buying would you walk away from this boat?" His reply was "No but I certainly would not pay the asking price".

He then pointed out items which needed attention which we used to bargain the asking price down. Part of the bargaining was to get the boat blacked whilst it was out of the water.

Like the poster above we had a highly detailed printed report with piccy's and a CD with it all on.

If the surveyor objects to you being present I would be suspicious. After all it is your hard earned readies you are parting with.

ETA I assumed the OP was purchasing a boat not having a BSC.

Edited by Ray T

The question is about surveys, you seem to be talking about a BSC inspection.

Yes I thought that too. It is not possible to 'fail' a survey.

A survey is a detailed examination of the boat and a written report of the results of that examination. There is no pass or fail certificate, just the survey report explaining what was seen.

The nearest thing to a failing a survey would be advice from the surveyor not to buy the boat, but that will only ever be an opinion.

We had a survey on our boat before buying but was not impressed with the surveyor. I had to draw his attention to the unsecured gas bottles, he was unable to offer opinions on internal leaks and water in the bilge although he did pick up on poorly done blacking. He was unable to access the water pump which I managed to do later without great difficulty.

Our surveyor asked me not to be inside the boat whilst he did the interior.

I can understand that too!

I eventually came to insist on the interior of a boat all to myself too when I was doing pre-delivery gas installation inspecting and testing for New Boat Co. at Reading.

When doing gas inspection work and I'd imagine interior surveying too, the last thing you want is someone in the boat with you chatting all the time. The persistent interruption to your thought flow when you are there to find and identify stuff that may be wrong and perhaps not obvious can be very disruptive.

In addition, another body in narrowboat interior don't half get in the way when you need to move about the inside of the boat a lot!

We've got our survey booked in next week. We were advised we could be there but probably later on in the survey.

Do you think it is a good idea to be there and what would you ask of the surveyor?

Ta!

I was there on Thursday for our first boats survey, while the surveyor was doing the hull and engine, I was on board familiarising my self where everything is and having a good luck at how easy/hard it is to maintain. I got off while he surveyed the internal side and then went through everything with him once he'd done, finding out exactly how things worked and where pumps and valves are, etc.

I would definitely go on the day. Dont forget to take a camera, note pad and tape measure.

I was there on Thursday for our first boats survey, while the surveyor was doing the hull and engine, I was on board familiarising my self where everything is and having a good luck at how easy/hard it is to maintain. I got off while he surveyed the internal side and then went through everything with him once he'd done, finding out exactly how things worked and where pumps and valves are, etc.

I would definitely go on the day. Dont forget to take a camera, note pad and tape measure.

That is what we did. taking photos is worthwhile as you don't often get the chance to do it out of the water. Worth looking for any marks etc on the prop to obtain size if it's stamped on there.

We found it very worthwhile to talk to the surveyor as he was doing it and learnt a lot from him and I think as a result understood his comments in the final report better.

I would say definitely be there for the survey. I had a survey done earlier this year which didn't work out (I didn't buy the boat). Having spent all the money on the survey and dry dock the best part was that I came out with 3 pages of notes (on top of the survey) covering major points to look for while looking at boats. It was an expensive day of education but at least I came out knowing a lot more about boats. I was then able to look round at boats and spot those that had major problems. Didn't take long to find a good boat after that.

A surveyors report can often come across as a list of statements rather than a report on whether you should buy the boat. Reading the report is not sufficient in my view. Go along to see the survey being carried out.

Dave

We've got our survey booked in next week. We were advised we could be there but probably later on in the survey.

Do you think it is a good idea to be there and what would you ask of the surveyor?

Ta!

Definitely attend if you can.

Ask him/her if he/she would buy the boat given the survey findings and the asking price.

It's your survey - I'd get there early and stay there the whole time. Don't leave the vendor and surveyor alone together. I once made the mistake of doing that and I'm sure a deal was done behind my back.

A very good point.

Edited by Guest

Our surveyor asked me not to be inside the boat whilst he did the interior. But once he had finished he was more than happy to go through the boat with me and point out the relevant items. A good report with pictures on a CD.

Ditto except for the pics, which I took for myself.

Remember if your having the survey done the Surveyor Works for you not the broker or the vendor .

At the last one l had done the surveyor made a point of telling me "l am working for you and you ask me anything you want"

Also "the final decision to buy rest with you but personally no matter how much you like this boat l,d walkaway don,t let your heart rule your head"

14 Skipper

Edited by 14skipper

It's your survey - I'd get there early and stay there the whole time. Don't leave the vendor and surveyor alone together. I once made the mistake of doing that and I'm sure a deal was done behind my back.

Not sure if its your survey if the vendor has any right to be there,even if they have do, don,t think they should be discussing YOUR survey with YOUR surveyor until the report is finished.

14Skipper

Edited by 14skipper