WHEEZE of the week

bizzard

Featured Posts

Some folk seem to have difficulty judging the length of their boat,my observation.It seems the longer the boat,the more conflict marks there are on the front, ie the more ragged the fender ect.

So why not fix a garden bamboo cane vertically onto the prow,stick it into the fender somehow,so that the top can be seen from the back and adjust spectacles to focus on it,if worn.Perhaps a wee flag on top.Or for night use a bit of fluoresant tape, or even hollow out the stick,poke a wire up it to an LED bulb,it will warn off low flying aircraft too,if you happen to be sailing near an airport after dark. bizzard.

Some folk seem to have difficulty judging the length of their boat,my observation.It seems the longer the boat,the more conflict marks there are on the front, ie the more ragged the fender ect.

So why not fix a garden bamboo cane vertically onto the prow,stick it into the fender somehow,so that the top can be seen from the back and adjust spectacles to focus on it,if worn.Perhaps a wee flag on top.Or for night use a bit of fluoresant tape, or even hollow out the stick,poke a wire up it to an LED bulb,it will warn off low flying aircraft too,if you happen to be sailing near an airport after dark. bizzard.

And for the more technically minded a Car's reversing senser mounted on the front, Beep, Beep, Beep STOP!!!

• Greenie 1

I'm missing something here.....

Simply stand at the back, and look at the front......

The front is where you can see the front is.........

Simple!

DSCF4214.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:

On the subject in another thread of "Sunset Rising" on the T&M, this is a spot where it is quite important that you can assess what is coming the other way before proceeding!.........

Edited by alan_fincher

But where's the back, Alan? I can see the front, but if you were reversing and asking me to judge where to stop from that photograph, I'd be scraping your blacking, sorry. :captain: Anyway, you have a modification on Bizzard's suggestion at the front with your light. Almost.

I'll get m'coat, shall I? :cheers:

More seriously, Simon Piper had a widebeam at Crick, which he'd built for the son of Theo Paphitous from Dragon's Den, and that replaced talent, boatmanship and observation with a CCTV camera wired to a monitor at the helm.

Edited to correct apalling spelling

Edited by DickBrowne

Simple!

Wow, you must be very tall!

CCTV cameras are cheap - £50 or so.

Now there's a solution that's possible but maybe excessive?!

ETA Dick got there first

Edited by keble

Meh

Richard

There's only so much advice I can have rammed down my throat

That's very uncharitable.

I made this wall light out of a 4 litre milk bottle, at the weekend.

DSCF4270.jpg

It's amazing what you can achieve if you put your cynicism aside and embrace novel ideas.

We pondered the idea of Droitwich Canal pennants on tall sticks as novelty canal souvenir items this weekend - very decorative on reedy windy canals.

Though I DO like the idea of reverse reverse parking sensors.

We could have done with some electronic "you are now entering a tunnel. please close your side hatch" alarms yesterday. That, or functioning brains. We had neither. Oops.

DSCF4270.jpg

It's amazing what you can achieve if you put your cynicism aside and embrace novel ideas.

I hope the milk isn't still in it, Carl :lol:

Stewey

But where's the back, Alan? I can see the front, but if you were reversing and asking me to judge where to stop from that photograph, I'd be scraping your blacking, sorry. :captain: Anyway, you have a modification on Bizzard's suggestion at the front with your light. Almost.

I'll get m'coat, shall I? :cheers:

More seriously, Simon Piper had a widebeam at Crick, which he'd built for the son of Theo Paphitous from Dragon's Den, and that replaced talent, boatmanship and observation with a CCTV camera wired to a monitor at the helm.

Edited to correct apalling spelling

Wow, you must be very tall!

No the cabin is only 10 foot long

We pondered the idea of Droitwich Canal pennants on tall sticks as novelty canal souvenir items this weekend - very decorative on reedy windy canals.

Though I DO like the idea of reverse reverse parking sensors.

We could have done with some electronic "you are now entering a tunnel. please close your side hatch" alarms yesterday. That, or functioning brains. We had neither. Oops.

When IWA held the National at Beale Park for the first time there was an award for going up to Lechlade and in the pack was a small flag attached to the end of a length of threaded rod with a small spring clamp on the bottom. The idea being that it could be seen above the banks on the bendy upper Thames.

DSCF4270.jpg

Is it half of a model cruise liner? bizzard.

Simple!

When I stand at the back of my boat, I can see everything except the end of my boat. Every time I approach the bank, or go into a lock, it is total guesswork. I find putting a person near the front, completely useless, because they always tell me to reverse AFTER I have hit something. I am getting quite good at virtualisation.

No the cabin is only 10 foot long

Cheeky!

Actually about 13' 6" if you include the 5' 6" of engine room.

When I stand at the back of my boat, I can see everything except the end of my boat. Every time I approach the bank, or go into a lock, it is total guesswork. I find putting a person near the front, completely useless, because they always tell me to reverse AFTER I have hit something. I am getting quite good at virtualisation.

Yes,

Sorry!

Generally true of most live-aboard and leisure narrow boats that knowing where the front is involves a degree of guesswork.

If on "Chalice" we are in the same situation.

There are many complexities to steering "Sickle", (too much draft, and far too much power, mainly!), but one of the big advantages is being able to see the front fully from the steering position.

So stopping it just on a gate, or with a nose on the bank when winding, is a real pleasure, lacking in any guesswork.

If I stand at the back and look forward I can see both side but I can't see the bit of boat in front of the cabin BUT

If I sit down at the back and look through the open back doors I cannot see down the sides but I can see the nose as i can stare through the whole 13' 6" of cabin and out through the front windows. This is very useful when the wind in blowing on rivers or the Shroppie though it tend to confuse oncoming boats as no-one appears to be steering if I am sitting.