Ignorant Boaters...........

Deepinvet

Featured Posts

The argument about who does what and when at lift/swing bridges makes me think that nobody likes to walk anymore.

All this pulling in to get back on again, has always seemed a bit pointless to me when there's usually somewhere more convenient to hop on again not far away. Same with locks when there's only about half a mile between them, what's the point of getting back on whilst holding up someone who's waiting to go in the other direction?

Whenever I'm opperating a bridge, I open it, our boat or boats go through and any others which might be close to, then I close it and walk on to the next bridge, lock or convenient hoping on place.

Sometimes I stay off just for the pleasure of walking and it's quite easy to outpace a boat along a canal.

Keith

Sometimes, I might wish to walk.

In general though, our particular circumstances mean that I am the one to operate bridges and locks, and I am also the one who does most of the steering in between.

Sometimes, I might wish to walk.

In general though, our particular circumstances mean that I am the one to operate bridges and locks, and I am also the one who does most of the steering in between.

I too have contemplated this move, leaving the boat to get to the next lock without me, hopefully I can get there, set it and open the gates in time to jump on board and select reverse.

Just havn't worked out how to get it round corners on it's own yet, or slow down past moored boats with slippy kettles......

I too have contemplated this move, leaving the boat to get to the next lock without me, hopefully I can get there, set it and open the gates in time to jump on board and select reverse.

Just havn't worked out how to get it round corners on it's own yet, or slow down past moored boats with slippy kettles......

Remote control. Model aircraft equipment,bigger servo's though, fully proportional transciever ect easy. bizzard

Remote control. Model aircraft equipment,bigger servo's though, fully proportional transciever ect easy. bizzard

Aw forget these modern electrical things, just a shoulder harness with two lines to pull the boat between bridges/locks. A little more more right shoulder equals a little more right rudder, or have i got my control lines crossed?

Don the reluctant donkey

We actually have seen a narrowboat that I guy had fitted a remote control system to. It was adapted from a model aircraft system and only worked on the throttle not the steering, quite clever.

We actually have seen a narrowboat that I guy had fitted a remote control system to. It was adapted from a model aircraft system and only worked on the throttle not the steering, quite clever.

You could have fun with a control unit that used the same frequencies/channels as his. :rolleyes:

(No need to yell "slow down!" - simply adjust speed of passing boats to something you consider acceptable!......)

Edited by alan_fincher

We are off to Portsmouth for the weekend in a few weeks to have a play on Sealines all new F42. The boat has joystick controls at both helms and also on th stern and can be set to hold its position exactly against wind, tide and inclement weather. Should be good fun to have a blast around the solent in this all new boat then have a go at close quarters handling in the marina :)

My rule is this:

A bit quick - me moaning to myself

Far to fast - soggy tea bag to the back of the head fired from a catapult

Fast enough to send my boy flying/knocking my lego town over- me running after them in my pants waving a sock filled with stones.

But so far for me its mainly hire boats who hit us and sbc who fly at full whack and think its their right to and then winge because I won't let them breast up to me while they wait for water

snip

...... think its their right to and then winge because I won't let them breast up to me while they wait for water

well, if I'd know that you would be on the toilet all night, playing with your gun, I would have thought twice about breasting up for the night.....

:-)

Alan I agree 100% with that statement. i long ago stopped worrying about what other boaters do or do not do, life is to short. Yes I would rather boats slowed down when they pass me but if they don't it is not life threatening. If some people want to be rude fine thankfully most people I meet are very pleasant. If someone wants to overstay at a restricted mooring no problem still another 2,000 miles to find another mooring.

This attitude is one of the reasons I want to join the "Boating Community". Thank you for re-affirming my choice. :cheers:

Still waiting, but i have to speak to them tomorrow anyway so I will chase up their official response to the question.

So, did you speak to this great authority?

Do we, as yet, have their ex-cathedra pronouncement upon the question of bridge operation, which you have trailed as pointing out serious safety issues with doing it the way that I prefer.

Or do we just have more of Phylis trying not to mention it at all, in the hope that I'll forget that she made the claim?

So, did you speak to this great authority?

Do we, as yet, have their ex-cathedra pronouncement upon the question of bridge operation, which you have trailed as pointing out serious safety issues with doing it the way that I prefer.

Or do we just have more of Phylis trying not to mention it at all, in the hope that I'll forget that she made the claim?

Yes the response should be awaiting me on the door mat when i go home tonight. Paitence dear.

Yes the response should be awaiting me on the door mat when i go home tonight. Paitence dear.

Perhaps you would like to give the pronouncement a build up, by trailing the identity or credentials of the eminent personage who is posting this to you.

Perhaps you would like to give the pronouncement a build up, by trailing the identity or credentials of the eminent personage who is posting this to you.

Oh no. You will just have to wait and see David. I can asure you though that their credentials are quite impressive.

Oh no. You will just have to wait and see David. I can asure you though that their credentials are quite impressive.

You have been assuring us of a response and impressive credentials for weeks.

Your continued prevarication says that you are stalling.

You have been assuring us of a response and impressive credentials for weeks.

Your continued prevarication says that you are stalling.

As you well know David, getting a response out of any company can be a little time consuming. You should know better than most. You cant rush these things, they can take time.

As you well know David, getting a response out of any company can be a little time consuming. You should know better than most. You cant rush these things, they can take time.

I trust the postie has delivered

Roll on 2021 when I can afford to retire to our boat and be a real grumpy old git.......I have a feeling i'll fit in very well........ B)

Indeed you will. Aside from CCers and toilets, this forum likes nothing better than an opportunity to whinge about how incompetent and ill-mannered other boaters are. See how many replies you've had already?

The whingers themselves are paragons of virtue, of course.

Indeed you will. Aside from CCers and toilets, this forum likes nothing better than an opportunity to whinge about how incompetent and ill-mannered other boaters are. See how many replies you've had already?

some members like to whinge about what other members choose to discuss, too.

some members like to whinge about what other members choose to discuss, too.

So it's OK for you to whinge, but it's not OK for me?

Fair's fair, old chap. I'm allowed a go too.

I trust the postie has delivered

Are you STILL going on about this, Mr Mayall?

To paraphrase Wilde, this is a case of the unspeakable in pursuit of the irrepressible.

BOTH ways of opening a bridge are OK, though I suspect that the over-taking method will be slightly quicker.