Leeds

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Moored at Riley Green...just before Blackburn.

Have been here a week...as per my previious posting..I fell off the boat and pranged my ribs.

By the way...Blackburn hospital isn't so bad !!

When the rain stops one day ...we will progress through Blackburn and on towards Leeds.

What is it like to moor around Leeds ?

There are some warnings about Blackburn...and 'tow paths are locked at night'.

Is it the same around Leeds ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob of the creaky ribs.

Have been here a week...as per my previious posting..I fell off the boat and pranged my ribs.

When the rain stops one day ...we will progress through Blackburn and on towards Leeds.

What is it like to moor around Leeds ?

There are some warnings about Blackburn...and 'tow paths are locked at night'.

Is it the same around Leeds ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob of the creaky ribs.

Hi

Leeds is very good especialy down thro and on the armoury moorings. Blackburn is a little different tho none of these places have ever given me trouble. In 22 years I have been stoned stoned by idiots twice, both these occasions were daarn souff on the Oxford canal near Thrupp and thro Kidlington. :)

I find Blackburn depressing but never experienced any trouble, quite the reverse.

Leeds - We had an incident at Newlay locks last year but it was just high spirited kids after school and my wife sorted them out in no time... It is advisable though to moor at Rodley the night before and head for Leeds first thing.

The off side before River Lock is quite a nice spot if there is space, it's a bit more private than Clarence Dock.

Remember there are 30 or so swing bridges between Gargrave and Leeds, some of which are really difficult even if there are two of you. Having another boat to travel with makes life a lot easier.

We'll be heading that way next week.

Remember there are 30 or so swing bridges between Gargrave and Leeds, some of which are really difficult even if there are two of you. Having another boat to travel with makes life a lot easier.

We'll be heading that way next week.

Well worth the effort though - it remains my favourite section of the system I've visited so far...

The old hospital used to overlook the canal, so would have been more convenient for you. I had a hip replaced there about fifteen years ago and was able to look down on the bottom lock from the ward. The hospital was founded in the mid-nineteenth century and was supported by donations, including those from the L&LC Co. On one occasion, a boatman on a steam boat at Greenberfield was scalded by a boiler tube failure and had to be rushed to Blackburn by boat - where he died.

There are great moorings in both Granary Wharf and Clarence Dock.

There is also a secure offside mooring just above Office Lock. The Midnight Bell is a super pub just 2 mins walk away serving locally brewed Leeds Brewery beers.

Agree with suggestion to moor at Rodley (great Curry take away here) and leave at 7:30 for the run into Leeds. None of our hirers have had any bother on this section but it is nice being in Leeds for lunchtime.

Notionally you have to pay at the moorings at Granary Wharf and the Armouries if you stay more than a day or two. As well as the mooring above office lock (which was full when I was there last year) there is a pontoon in the river just below the Armouries museum - I think that's below Leeds Lock. I stayed there for a few days with no trouble or cost. For access to the city Granary Wharf is best.

I also enjoyed Blackburn - I moored at Cherry Tree (before Br 94) on the recommendations of someone I met earlier and had no trouble. I used my bike to get into town. I suspect it would have been fine closer to town. Blackburn is one of the few places that have decent signs/maps on the towpath. In Blackburn the canal goes right beside B&Q and Asda. The locked gates in the Nicholson guide are history.

If you haven't been there before I would recommend the short bus ride to Darwen to see all the terraced houses on steep streets.

Before Lock 56 there was a towpath seat that was the haunt of several alcoholics but I got no sense of trouble. However on the day I was passing through the lock there was a delay because of low water in the next pound (BW had drained it overnight to do something to one of their own boats) and one of the drunks discovered I was Irish and (as he was also) he was a bit aggrieved when I refused to invite him aboard for a bacon sarny.

Someone tried to charge us for mooring at Granary Wharf in April saying they were private moorings.

There were no signs and when we asked to see some form of documentation regarding the fee we were given a poorly copied document that detailed all the dos and don'ts that were the conditions of mooring there. However, there was no mention of a charge.

We managed to escape without paying and I'm not so sure that any mooring fees that were collected were reaching the implied destination!

Someone tried to charge us for mooring at Granary Wharf in April saying they were private moorings.

There were no signs and when we asked to see some form of documentation regarding the fee we were given a poorly copied document that detailed all the dos and don'ts that were the conditions of mooring there. However, there was no mention of a charge.

We managed to escape without paying and I'm not so sure that any mooring fees that were collected were reaching the implied destination!

Leeds is fine as long as no southern nancies are there...

Leeds is fine as long as no southern nancies are there...

I'm from Southampton...

Grew up around the naval shipbuilders..Vospers...and guys that sawed timber for a living..

Anytime...and I mean...anytime...you wanna take me on...I have a domino set ready !!

bob

We have just enjoyed a fortnight in and around Leeds, no bother at all, but the best part of the canal is between Nelson and Rodley.

Saltaire is great, get a walking guide from tourist info in the mill and look round the village with it - town planning at its best!

We preferred the mooring nr office lock in leeds to any other, trains noisy but not disturbing.

Everyone that we came across was very friendly and helpful.

cheers, David

I'm from Southampton...

Grew up around the naval shipbuilders..Vospers...and guys that sawed timber for a living..

Anytime...and I mean...anytime...you wanna take me on...I have a domino set ready !!

bob

See what i mean, us boys play chess.

• 1 year later...