Diesel price

Ryeland

Featured Posts

We are currently on the Thames at Abingdon & very slowly heading for Brentford, not desperate for diesel yet, should have half a tank left but I do like to fill up monthly.

The marina here is selling it at £1.35 per lt for 60/40 split - seems bit pricey. Any suggestions where to go for a better deal or do we have to accept it's more expensive on the Thames?

Hi Julia,

There is http://lock13.co.uk/boats/coaldiesel.htm which has definately been mentioned elsewhere on this forum numerous times..................

Unfortunately there are aspects of that list that are well out of date......

With best intentions I tried to send it's owner some corrections, but they then ran foul of one of the suppliers listed on there when they attempted to confirm his current status with him. As a result the changes I know to be the case have not been added to that list.

I have no idea why, but apparently he refused to say where now trading, or admit it is not where the list indicates! (Although the fact that someone has just reported in this thread buying fuel from him at Purton might offer a bit of a clue that he is no longer on the Southern Grand Union at the moment! :banghead:).

The reality seems to be that in the area I am, (GU herts/Bucks), you might get your fuel from any of Towcester, Archimedes and Ara or now (it seems) Hyperion, but it doesn't seem possible to get the list made accurate enough to make it really useful, unfortunately!

Hi Julia,

There is http://lock13.co.uk/boats/coaldiesel.htm which has definately been mentioned elsewhere on this forum numerous times but there is also http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/ which is worth keeping an eye on, although unfortunately not always upto date.

But if all the members on here posted to it each time they bough diesel it would be an great deal better and that would help all of us.

It only needs an email to rad56mail-diesel at yahoo d0t co d0t uk its on the web site

I definately agree Brian, but I'm only able to update the one entry on that website, which I will do as soon as any changes are made, and thats my own entry.

The more it gets mentioned the more people will remember it and the more updates can be published. It's a great idea it just needs for the site owner to be told about them.

We are currently on the Thames at Abingdon & very slowly heading for Brentford, not desperate for diesel yet, should have half a tank left but I do like to fill up monthly.

The marina here is selling it at £1.35 per lt for 60/40 split - seems bit pricey. Any suggestions where to go for a better deal or do we have to accept it's more expensive on the Thames?

Better Boating in Reading is where we usually fill up. And give us a wave, we're bound to cross paths tomorrow, currently moored near the mouth of the Thame but heading to Abingdon tomorrow. :)

yes it is he is operating I think he said from Cow Roast to Brentford.

Was quite interesting for me as I know Hyperon quite well from my times at Norbury. Took the photos to send to David Wray.

he is setting up in an area well covered by other boats, he needs to re-think his buisness model, he's going to drag down everyones profit margin which is already low, so logically if others do the same no one will make any money, and the prices will go up until it becomes unviable, and that will be the end of coal boats.

god actualy favoured 15 commandments, but for Mozes dropping the third tablet.

I'm glad that, thou shalt not flick toe bogies at people and thou shall not fart in bed and hold the Duvet over the wife’s head (especially after an Egg and cabbage curry)! Was on the tablet that was broken

Ahh, sorry, yes you're correct, Fenny Compton :)

Sister marina to Cow Roast on the Grand Union................

They used to sell diesel at rates that were not that far off reasonable.

Then they appear to have decided they can up the anti, and for a year or two now have been a very pricey option.

There are very much better deals on the Southern Oxford, in our experience, like Sovreign at Banbury.

Also, I don't know if it was a mistake, but we got a very good price at College Cruisers in Oxford a couple of months back, despite some time ago people saying how expensive they were! I guess no information about pricing stays "current" for very long!

We have separate bow tanks for heating, are sellers selling diesel at that single non propulsion rate? i keep reading 60/40 split from posts, what's the av cost now of diesel supplied just for heating and just for propulsion.

Been out of the loop for sometime so apologies if this sounds a stupid question.

"There is http://lock13.co.uk/.../coaldiesel.htm which has definately been mentioned elsewhere on this forum numerous times but there is also http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/ which is worth keeping an eye on, although unfortunately not always upto date"

Thanks Liam, do have them bookmarked but as you say not always up to date.

Better Boating in Reading is where we usually fill up. And give us a wave, we're bound to cross paths tomorrow, currently moored near the mouth of the Thame but heading to Abingdon tomorrow. :)

Will do, though we're staying put for a few days, it's such a lovely spot & I have some DIY to do, so give us a toot wink.gif

Edited by Jamboat

We have separate bow tanks for heating, are sellers selling diesel at that single non propulsion rate? i keep reading 60/40 split from posts, what's the av cost now of diesel supplied just for heating and just for propulsion.

Been out of the loop for sometime so apologies if this sounds a stupid question.

Generally, unless people specify otherwise, rates quoted here are the non propulsion rates. (Very roughly) add 50p to those for the full propulsion rate, or 30p to them if you want to compare to someone only prepared to sell at a 60 (prop) / 40 (other) split.

There is no "typical price" as you can see, because,(using all non-propulsion examples), whilst the "low eighties" being charged by fuel boats and the cheaper "Southern" outlets are nothing like the rip-off "high nineties" elsewhere, it is still possible for those Shroppie outlets to sell at under 75 pence per litre, it seems.

I know some of those merchants occasionally visiting the forum sell at 90p or over, (current prices), but they have never taken up the challenge to explain why they are so much higher than other places!

IIRC I paid 90p/l for leccy and 40p on top of that (£1.30) for propulsion, again at Fenny Compton.

If the non propulsion price is 90 ppl, then it is not correct for the propulsion price to be £1.30 ppl.

The maths for the excise duty and (5%) Vat on both is laid down by HMRC, and by my reckoning any quoted propulsion price should now be 49 pence greater than the non propulsion price, (that number rounded to nearest pence).

So quoting a difference of 40p only, rather than 49p means they are not collecting the correct tax, if the pre-tax price being charged for the "red" is the same.

A bit garbled, but I recently spelt out current excise and VAT rates on marine diesel in this post in another thread.

Edited by alan_fincher

If the non propulsion price is 90 ppl, then it is not correct for the propulsion price to be £1.30 ppl.

The maths for the excise duty and (5%) Vat on both is laid down by HMRC, and by my reckoning any quoted propulsion price should now be 49 pence greater than the non propulsion price, (that number rounded to nearest pence).

So quoting a difference of 40p only, rather than 49p means they are not collecting the correct tax, if the pre-tax price being charged for the "red" is the same.

A bit garbled, but I recently spelt out current excise and VAT rates on marine diesel in this post in another thread.

You're forgetting one vital thing though Alan, my brain tends to garble things up too, and I might not be remembering correctly ;)

Can they not set the base price pre tax & duty of each fuel usage independently?

So say non propulsion is 55p pre taxes & propulsion is 50p pre taxes?

I suspect legally only if that was very clearly spelt out and available information.

Knowing the outfit involved, it will not be!

Why, oh why, oh why, might they want to, though ?

But if all the members on here posted to it each time they bough diesel it would be an great deal better and that would help all of us.

It only needs an email to rad56mail-diesel at yahoo d0t co d0t uk its on the web site

or if people dont want to go to that trouble, how about a pinned thread on here.

Steve