draft

Featured Posts

depends on the boat, what it is carrying and how fast it is going, work on somewhere around 3' ish but i believe the grand union town class boats were designed to carry 70 ish tons on a pair of boats with 4'3" draught

Tom

depends on the boat, what it is carrying and how fast it is going, work on somewhere around 3' ish but i believe the grand union town class boats were designed to carry 70 ish tons on a pair of boats with 4'3" draught

Tom

My understanding was that the Town class were deeper so they could go more safely on the tideway rather than to carry more cargo. You wouldn't get far with 4'3" draught today :(

Tim

Are you suggesting Phylis couldn't afford a Ferrari ?

No, I was just about to put the wooden spoon in the dishwasher................

I cannot remember Phylis boasting about draft. Bent props and HP maybe ......... but not draft.

I cannot remember Phylis boasting about draft. Bent props and HP maybe ......... but not draft.

I rather get the impression that there is a link between the draft and the bent props, when it happens, though.......

what draft at the stern do working boats have?

With wooden ones it often equals the depth of the canal at that point. (Sorry Carl).

With wooden ones it often equals the depth of the canal at that point. (Sorry Carl).

Drawing about 3'6" this was often the case, with Usk, even though she never sank.

will a boat with 30" draft be a pain to boat with??

Only if you haven't got a kettle.

what draft at the stern do working boats have?

Draft: Body of men from a depot; written order for money transfer; rough document or drawing prior to finished article.

Draught: Butties empty less than twelve inches. Motors empty and loaded already answered. And a cold wind blowing through an opening. Beer (from the cask). And others.

Yes, sometimes. But only because too many boaters these days do not recognise a deep boat approaching them, and fail to understand that it cannot get close to the canal edge. (we are 33" underway)

Chertsey's is supposed to be 2'10" unloaded, which I believe is less than the earlier 'Stars', although they have less hull depth. I think that is about what we are drawing at the moment. This is only 4" more than Warrior's nominal draught, but we do get stuck on the bottom more (fortunately we also have more ways of getting unstuck and it is becoming quite a fine art). The lowest point is somewhere towards the rear of the engine room. I have not yet managed to get the front stuck (the fore end draws about six inches). But yes, the answer depends greatly on what sort of boat it is, and how much weight it is carrying.

Ariel drops down to 3ft 3 when the bottom guard is just touching the water.

...and Victoria is that empty! B)

Upto 5ft with 42 tons onboard! :huh: Only 0.24inch freeboard though! :o

Seriously though, 30" won't be an issue at all.

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

...and Victoria is that empty! B)

Upto 5ft with 42 tons onboard! :huh: Only 0.24inch freeboard though! :o

Seriously though, 30" won't be an issue at all.

Mike

5ft would be fine - you just need to have it on the right bit of water.

DSCF2233.jpg

30" shouldn't be a problem.

You will have some instances where you can't get alongside, but not to many.

A couple of weekend ago, a mate helmed the good ship (36" draught) for a day. He got seriously fed up with constantly riding over 'things'. Going on the mud when ever we met someone coming the other way etc.

I've just got used to it.

TBH - I think around 28" - 30" would be around a optimal depth. Good stability, able to throw a reasonable sized prop, but not to much trouble navigating.

I couldn't reduce my current draught if I want to. No ballast to take out.