The Admiral Nelson - New Operators ??

scrumpylurcher

Featured Posts

It seems the new Landlord to be of the Admiral Nelson at Braunston is advertising for staff for when it re-opens shortly. I wish him luck, we need canal side pubs to survive.

From what I gather it is a past landlord returning to give it another shot. Like you said, lets wish him luck.

Why not arrange a banter there when it opens to give it a boost?

Good Idea, I would attend, but it would probably have to be outside School holidays as they could get very busy during the main hiring season.

Edited by David Schweizer

• 4 months later...

For those of you who haven't been past, the Admiral Nelson reopened under new management a few months ago and according to the chef, also one of the partners, is starting to pick up trade again. I ate there last Thursday and can recommend the Fish and Chips. Generally three real ales on, all the ones I've tried being in fine fettle.

For those of you who haven't been past, the Admiral Nelson reopened under new management a few months ago and according to the chef, also one of the partners, is starting to pick up trade again. I ate there last Thursday and can recommend the Fish and Chips. Generally three real ales on, all the ones I've tried being in fine fettle.

I wish them luck, but it was pretty quiet there on the Saturday evening of Braunston Historic Boats. If they can't get the punters in when there's that many visitors around and the weather is glorious, what chance have they got on a wet winter weekday?

David

I wish them luck, but it was pretty quiet there on the Saturday evening of Braunston Historic Boats. If they can't get the punters in when there's that many visitors around and the weather is glorious, what chance have they got on a wet winter weekday?

David

Slowly, slowly catch a monkey.. Waht does that mean by the way.

I would have been legging it around with flyers offering good deals. The profit of nowt is nowt. Let people know you are there. Free music. get the local involved etc.

Mind you I don't run a pub.

Martyn

I think the problem the Nelson has is that it has a rather chequered recent history.

Whilst many would like to show affection for the place, if you have memory of a poor or overpriced meal, indifferent beer, or simply not polite service, you may not rush back, even after it changes hands again. Obviously I don't know the story, but "former landlord giving it another try" simply doesn't sound that encouraging, without more information.

I'm all for trying to support the best canal pubs, but this one does seem to struggle, and for some of the reinvigoration attempts, really only those involved can take the blame.

I know it's unfashionable, and many will say sacrilege to visit somewhere like the "Boathouse", (as I think it's now called), instead. But with a permanent "two for one" offer on the already very reasonable main courses, and decent beers at not an arm and a leg, it is surprisingly consistent. And, as vegetarians, the Boathouse often offers a good selection of specials, whereas in the past the Nelson has been extremely limited on choice.

No pub has an automatic right to survival these days, just because of its former rich history. They really do need to be offering something special to survive, something the Nelson has not always managed, IMO.

Now it may be that the latest re-opening gives excellent meals, beer and service at reasonable rates - it's just so far I have not actually really seen anybody say that ?

One of the problems the Nelson has is that it's a bit of a challenge to find it by road. It's doubtful that canal trade alone would be enough, so gonzoozlers could make all the difference -- and most of them probably don't know how to get there.

Add onto my post, signs from the main village road, local add with a feature 'THE NELSON IS BACK' Get the local papers involved to do a history lesson on the place.

Have Canal Song singing bands/groups. Folk nights on the lock side.

All in all, invest in your future. Speculate to..........da di da da.

Martyn

Well it could be they are listening - This coming weekend there is a weekend cider festival by the canal - noon to midnight Sat and Sun 9th/10th July with live music. Additionally there is now a folk club running on the last Tuesday of each month. I have yet to understand the DJ who seems to take part in these folk events, anybody who was at the Braunston festival last Aug Bank Holiday may well understand my concerns.

David

The other two pubs in the village were pretty quiet then as well. Beer at over £3 a pint doesn't help!

I know it's unfashionable, and many will say sacrilege to visit somewhere like the "Boathouse", (as I think it's now called), instead. But with a permanent "two for one" offer on the already very reasonable main courses, and decent beers at not an arm and a leg, it is surprisingly consistent. And, as vegetarians, the Boathouse often offers a good selection of specials, whereas in the past the Nelson has been extremely limited on choice.

But the Boathouse isn't such a good deal if you are on your own (unless you are VERY greedybiggrin.gif

The other two pubs in the village were pretty quiet then as well. Beer at over £3 a pint doesn't help!

We went over to the Plough later on, and that was pretty full in the lounge bar, with Braunston Pickle and other singers.

David

Used the Nelson almost exclusively during the Braunston Weekend and have been back since.

Brilliant service

Very good to V.very good interesting food, proper cooking not Brakes boil in the bag. Fantastic chips

Very good, small range of real ales properly served (no sparkler!!!!!!) although on the first visit the beer temp. was a little cold by a degree of two but this was rectified in the 6 subsequent visits. We have also used the Boathouse during our long sojurn in Braunston and it has declined dramatically over the month we were there. Boathouse defineatly for those whom know the cost of every thing and the value of nothing. The only down side of the Nelson is the lack of atmosphere but this improved greatly over our recent visits and it certainly seemed to be becoming a destination pub with lots of cars in the car park. A banter there is a great idea - what about sometime in late October or possibly Nov. on the same day as the HNBOC meeting.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

One of the problems the Nelson has is that it's a bit of a challenge to find it by road. It's doubtful that canal trade alone would be enough, so gonzoozlers could make all the difference -- and most of them probably don't know how to get there.

I think a good pub will be sought out irrespective of location, a listing in CAMRA's Guide would be a good start if it serves decent beer. Cyclists in particular will travel to many an out-of-the-way pub if it is decent, in my experience.

Thanks for the heads-up, we are boating that way in a few days and will be sure to try it out. Although if they charge more than £3 a pint I will only have the one on point of principle. :rolleyes:

A bargain!

On the way back south we went into the Grove Lock near Leighton Buzzard.

A pint of London Pride and a large glss of a very average white wine set us back £9.20.

For a moment I thought we had overshot, and were on the Thames!

We have also used the Boathouse during our long sojurn in Braunston and it has declined dramatically over the month we were there. Boathouse defineatly for those whom know the cost of every thing and the value of nothing.

Fortunately not our experience on any of our visits.

We were well catered for at the Boathouse, and very well looked after by staff who genuinely seemed to care.

Mind you we are "veggies", and the choice of a large range of veggie dishes makes a welcome change from the usual maximum of about two at a more traditional pub.

Any pub is only as good as your last few experiences there, though, I'll agree, so unless one is totally the same all the time, and everybody had identical tastes and requirements, it is inevitable that somewhere that one person has reported as "good" may not be viewed as "good" by someone else.

Mostly very true Alan especially about veggieness (as someone who would like to get back there) We had to overcome our natural distrust of chain pubs whilst we were at Pete Boyce's and for several visits were very pleasantly surprised by the Boat House. However on our latest (Last?) visit we were in company with our 'Americans' and we sat having a drink or two whilst deciding what to eat. We were accosted by the waitress who said in a very aggressive manner "You eating or ONLY drinking" now we are not the sort that sits all night with half a mineral water as any one who has been drinking with us will testify. We should have left then but foolishly ordered and it was shocking, almost on a par with the terrible meal we had in a Marston's pub up the Trent a couple of years ago. It is a shame as the manager of the Boathouse is very good and unlike many such establishments, in my limited experience, acts like a traditional landlord and has time for everyone. As regards the Plough, the newish landlady is a misery and doubtless only wants locals. We went in there to eat just after our unfortunate Boathouse experience and she was her same old frosty self. The last time we managed to eat there we waited over an hour to get served with our food (which was OK) with no apology and a 'what do you expect, it is Saturday lunch time' comment for the landlady. Also, as a southern softy, I like my beer served without a sparkler. When I asked in the PLough, my request was met with a sigh and scowl for the bar staff. bollox to that.

It always amazes me that people who don't like or enjoy giving polite courteous service to the public work in sectors like retail and the licensed trade.

It always amazes me that people who don't like or enjoy giving polite courteous service to the public work in sectors like retail and the licensed trade.

Pub in my village is run by one such. Basil Fawlty could have been modeled on him. When you know what to expect from him it's great entertainment watching the outsiders reactions to his regular outbursts. It's worth every penny of the premium prices he charges...

We tried the plough once when neither the Nelson or the(then) Millhouse could offer food.

Our food orders were taken, and we settled down with our drinks.

Some time later someone came over apologetically and said they could not after all provide the meals.

In fairness to them, they waived the cost of the drinks, without us having to ask. We were treated politely, and they were most apologetic.

I'd rather have got my meal, though!

With recent experiences I have yet to be treated other than very well at the Boathouse, or to get a meal that wasn't up to scratch. I don't doubt it can still happen though - I think it is hard to ensure everybody who serves in such establishments all reach the same standards all the time.

hi,

Intersting comments about the Admiral Nelson - called in when passing through Braunston the day before the 'parades'. Several of us had a good meal, some items were a bit highly priced and one member of the bar staff was very efficient. It's the first time I have visited for years and it has lost all of it's character (first visit about 1977) and is now mainly a restaurant - the only thing I recognised from previous visits was the 'Barstickles' table.

Hope it is successful (the Landlord celebrated his 60th birthday when we called), but the winter may be difficult for trade.

I did see a Brake Bros delivery van parked up outside when we passed by next morning.

Saw one or two CWDF members as I boated through - had to push on to miss the 'blockade' and the Barley Mow at Newbold called.

Leo,

PS Alan, Tend to agree about the Grove - the gate providing access from the canal was shut and we had to enter via the front (all in a torrential downpour).

It was full of children when we arrived.

Edited by LEO

Although if they charge more than £3 a pint I will only have the one on point of principle. :rolleyes:

As long as you understand your principles could ultimately lead to town centre Weatherspoons being your only choice.

Edited by twbm