Washing Machines

nearlythere

Featured Posts

I built my boat as a future liveaboard so getting a washing machine was a no-brainer. It's situated in the bedroom (cunningly hidden as a vanity unit) so well out of ear shot from the saloon, and not even an eyesore. Even though I spend much less time on the boat than I'd like, I still use it every holiday - doing the sheets/towels, but the biggest plus is having to pack less clothes each time I go to the boat, knowing that I can wash and wear. As I live overseas, it creates a LOT more baggage space for essentials: Pesto, Quorn Sausages and Veggie Gravy in abundance!

On my first boat, I didn't have a washing machine - and washing became a chore to do rather than the bung it in, carry on cruising setup I have now.

I built my boat as a future liveaboard so getting a washing machine was a no-brainer. It's situated in the bedroom (cunningly hidden as a vanity unit) so well out of ear shot from the saloon, and not even an eyesore. Even though I spend much less time on the boat than I'd like, I still use it every holiday - doing the sheets/towels, but the biggest plus is having to pack less clothes each time I go to the boat, knowing that I can wash and wear. As I live overseas, it creates a LOT more baggage space for essentials: Pesto, Quorn Sausages and Veggie Gravy in abundance!

On my first boat, I didn't have a washing machine - and washing became a chore to do rather than the bung it in, carry on cruising setup I have now.

Well put. How many people have a house without a washing machine ? not many Ill wager. Why would you not have one on a boat.In this day and age finding power to run it is easy peasy and they only use about 5 gallons of water which out of the usual 100 plus gallon tank is no problem.

We 'wash on the go' as they say, and dry in the dryer when we need too.

We have a washer and a dryer at home so why not have one on the boat - the washer takes up minimal space in our rear cabin.

showboat+interior+stern+b+head.JPG

The dryer is in the cratch

Edited by MJG

If you intend doing anything other than light summertime cruising then you need a 'beefy' inverter. Other than a washing machine there are lots of other things that you will in time find that you need to run. Take a the large inverter as a 'given' in your costings. So returning to your original question - put in a cheap washing machine, they are very useful and don't cost that much in money or space.

For what it is worth, I would not have specified a washing machine if I were new-building but the boat I bought already had one. Having lived with it for a number of years now I think it would have been a mistake to not install a machine.

• 1 year later...

As one who lives onboard I started off using a local launderette but after getting my neighbour's old compact Candy (on its last legs). Went straight out and replaced it with a new compact washing machine and wouldn't be without one now, only wish I had enough room for a dryer (or Scotland could share in Anglia's drought!)

Only wish I had enough room for a dryer (or Scotland could share in Anglia's drought!)

Watch out!

If Boris Johnson has his way, he'll be tapping into your abundant water resource if only to help cleanse London of its greed culture! :rolleyes:

Watch out!

If Boris Johnson has his way, he'll be tapping into your abundant water resource if only to help cleanse London of its greed culture! :rolleyes:

It may not be the greed culture, but the untold numbers of permanent visitors from abroad whom also wish to live, wash, drink and prosper in our Southern climes, (and have you noticed - there's also boaters thinking of fitting washing machines!! - whatever happened to the old habit of wearing the 'day-time' clothes through the stage when they'd stand up on their own, right through to the point where the clothes wouldn't bend, they'd just crack - - - - that's when they needed a wash!)

First make sure you have a boat with a dedicated engine room filled with a big lump of vintage cast iron. Buy a compact washing machine - the Zanussi ZWC1301 seems favourite at the moment - its 3Kg load will take a full double bedding change if needed, at least mine did

Run the engine with a couple of fair sized alternators attached to supplement the inverter drain whilst said machine is running, trying to be on the move at the same time which will give you a nice change of scenery as washing progresses. When finished, tie up & hang wet washing over hot lump of vintage cast iron - some time later fold & store clean dry washing with the added unique fragrance of vintage engine - sorted :P

Every one of the machines here is now ice damaged! So we drove to the launderette. What would've taken me nearly 10 hours to wash at the mooring (cold fill from very cold water in the winter makes the cycles take hours), took me 40 mins - dumped it in there, went to Sainsburys and did a shop, came back, picked up washing, went home. It cost me £8.50 to do the equivalent of 4 loads. If you've got a lot of washing to do, I still say you can't beat a launderette for speed.

I agree though, it's what suits you.

Every one of the machines here is now ice damaged! So we drove to the launderette. What would've taken me nearly 10 hours to wash at the mooring (cold fill from very cold water in the winter makes the cycles take hours), took me 40 mins - dumped it in there, went to Sainsburys and did a shop, came back, picked up washing, went home. It cost me £8.50 to do the equivalent of 4 loads. If you've got a lot of washing to do, I still say you can't beat a launderette for speed.

I agree though, it's what suits you.

Ive done 1 x 7kg load today on my very quiet beltless washing machine whilst doing the normal battery charging. 1400 spin speed and been on the clothes horse at the side of my large pot bellied stove for about 6 hours. Will fold em and store em in an hour or so without even having to leave the boat and for not much money :D

yeah but that's about a third of my normal washing, I'd challenge you to wash and dry that onboard - there'd be no room!

Blimey ow many kids ya got on board ? But of course we dont only do one load a week we just do it to coincide with charging and remember I no longer live in a sewer tube and have LOADSA room either side of my oooge potbellied stove for drying. But each to their own, it does make me larrff tho that some posters on here mock the cassette brigade for so called carrying their poo to the elsan when they have a pumpout but yet hump humungous amounts of clothing to a launderette on a very regular basis. Of course like ya say each to their own. :cheers: