Calcutt Locks

Ray T

Featured Posts

Has the Mulberry been moved from Arromanches to Calcutt? Or are they modern Tom Puddings?

The pound between top and middle lock today:

]dscf3976u.jpg

dscf3975a.jpg

No idea they are up against Calcutt's Wharf aren't they? But that's a great photo of the collapsed lock landing that will shut the locks from Wednesday. Means we are stuck between stoppages! :angry:

Cheers Graham

A few more pics from this afternoon...

cl3.jpg

There's more silt than water in both lock pounds!

Believe it or not the silt is not really a problem here. Calcutt Boats moor its hire fleet just below the collapsed lock landing, the centre part of the Wharf is well used for fuel and other services and above the middle lock you used to find shared ownership boats and boats on brokerage.

It is possible that the man on the left of the picture above is Roger Preen, MD of Calcutt boats who are perhaps best known for marinisations of BMC 1.8's. They were still importing them from Turkey for marinisation up until a couple of years back.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Believe it or not the silt is not really a problem here. Calcutt Boats moor its hire fleet just below the collapsed lock landing, the centre part of the Wharf is well used for fuel and other services and above the middle lock you used to find shared ownership boats and boats on brokerage.

It is possible that the man on the left of the picture above is Roger Preen, MD of Calcutt boats who are perhaps best known for marinisations of BMC 1.8's. They were still importing them from Turkey for marinisation up until a couple of years back.

The stance and appearance certainly look like the Roger Preen that I knew when my boats were there at Calcutt from 1991 to 2005.

Roger

Could you have a look for the windlass I lost there, in 1998, next time you go down?

I couldn't see any windlasses, but there were half a dozen chinaman's hats, a TV aerial, a chimney, a couple of tyres and a Vax attachment!

The stance and appearance certainly look like the Roger Preen that I knew when my boats were there at Calcutt from 1991 to 2005.

Roger

It is Roger, Roger! :D

Ian

<snip>

It is a problem in the corner where the ownership and brokerage boats are moored and also at the entrance to the paint tunnel.

The possibility of using a mini-excavator and dumper to dig some of it out was mentioned !

A few more from Calcutt, taken this morning...

gallery_1668_611_17196.jpg

The walkway is now an excavator way!

gallery_1668_611_28009.jpg

There is at least a foot of fresh air under the wing wall on this side of the canal, hence the vertical crack! :(

gallery_1668_611_56798.jpg

That's where the cill protector, in the top lock, went!

Great shots!

Must be about a dozen breaches of H&S there! Not enough guard rails. Use of unsupported ladders! (Shock! Horror! Probe!) Multitudinous trip hazards. Not a life-jacket in sight (there is at least six inches of water lying about. Hands in pockets.

Looks much like a Deepcut work-site from the 80s, except for the aliens wearing the colourful clothes and the silly hats.... and the absence of beer bottles.... and no dumper with a flat tyre.

Tone