British Waterways

Josher

Featured Posts

<snip>

The comment I left was something along the lines of, to save the cost of changing signage and logos keep the name the same

Me too. :rolleyes:

Do you think our opinions will be discounted because we own boats?

Richard

It won't be "British" though, BW Scotland is going their own (sensible) way.

The stakeholders group in Scotland took about 5 seconds to decide that we would prefer the name to stay British Waterways Scotland and spend the money which would have been spent on rebranding, on the canal.

I have voted for the same in Englandshire for the same reason:-)

haggis

Edited by haggis

How will you convince the public that it has all changed and that they should donate to the NWC

Will they anyway?

I rather think it will be a subscription thing, like English Heritage or National Trust, rather than an army of tin rattlers.

I suspect that BW that will use the data collected in this poll to prove some meaningless statistic to show how many millions of joggers, cyclists fishemen etc. use the canals every day. I doubt whether the real motive is to seek the public's opinion about the name of the new body – which, as some have already pointed out, is probably a foregone conclusion.

For that reason I was a bit wary about responding.

Cynical – moi?

Will they anyway?

I rather think it will be a subscription thing, like English Heritage or National Trust, rather than an army of tin rattlers.

I currently subscribe to English Heritage - but had thought of switching to BW - but then thought perhaps I should just save the money as I will be paying them anyway!

Well I voted for British Waterways and suggested they don't spend even a penny on rebranding.

AFAIK Robin Evans can pay for a rebrand out of his pension if he wants to do the corporate marketing bulls**t thing. :angry:

I agree despite what baggage the name may come with I like you don't want any money spent on rebranding. They probably will anyway in terms of promoting the new status of the organisation.

It won't though be a fully national or British organisation though as Scotland has decided to opt out.

Will they anyway?

Tis true but you still have to convince people to take out the subscription and if they feel that they are just funding the old BW then........

Edited by idleness

May I suggest EW&Snot waterways?

thats English, Welsh, Scotland (not) Waterways!

It will very clearly explain to everyone that the canals cover England and Wales but NOT Scotland.

Or how about London and More Leaking Waterways?

(thats my derivative based upon the LNER)

:cheers:

There has got to be a change in the name. The directors and managers will probably have been so looking forward to

the 'launch' dinner and drinks and overnight hotels stays and travelling expenses and drinks and meals

how can you deny them this little perk.

Shame on you.

Why not call it 'British Wasterways' :closedeyes:.

Edited by sumajan
  • Greenie 1

I'll probably earn some childish negatives for this.:rolleyes:

This is exactly the type of thing that David Cameron means when he talks about public sector waste - these people have absolutely no idea at all how to manage money - the only way forward is to get rid of the lot of them and start from scratch.

The salaries paid to the BW board will hardly encourage volunteers - they're taking the p***.

• Greenie 2

This is exactly the type of thing that David Cameron means when he talks about public sector waste - these people have absolutely no idea at all how to manage money - the only way forward is to get rid of the lot of them and start from scratch.

The salaries paid to the BW board will hardly encourage volunteers - they're taking the p***.

Will that be from a Charity or a Trust ?.

The Government is holding BW up as a shining example of the New Society. People need to write to David Cameron about their fears as well as posting here.

Sue

If they must rebrand, why not use 'British Waterways Trust', trading as 'British Waterways'? Then they can use 'Trust' in new promotions and not waste money changing existing paperwork and signage.

My response to the BW survey as well!

The organisation I worked for changed its name several times over 30 y, each time costing £££s in consultancy fees, logo design costs, stationery (and third party costs in changed road signs, telephone directories and maps).

For some reason managers have a fixation for relabelling.

Edited by Giggetty