British Waterways

Josher

Featured Posts

The 'name game' has started - would be cheaper to leave well alone!

The name game Waterscape

Throughout January research is being conducted to test possible names for the new waterways charity, which will take over the management of the waterways in 2012. Suggestions will be fed into Defra’s wider consultation, due to start shortly, about the formation of the charity.

Firstly, it is important that any prospective name does 'what it says on the tin’ i.e. it shows that the charity is about ‘waterways’ or ‘canals & rivers’. Secondly, the names should evoke a feeling amongst the wider public that waterways are a worthy ‘cause’ (and therefore include the terms ‘charity’ or ‘trust’). Please put your suggestion forward by filling in a short online poll. It will only take a few minutes and the results will quite literally help make waterway history.

The poll is open until 5pm on Friday 4 February 2011. Visit www.surveymonkey.com HERE to take part in the survey.

The suggestions are:

National Waterways Charity

British Waterways

National Waterways Trust

National; Canals and Rivers Trust

British Waterways Trust

Waterways Trust

Canals and Rivers Trust

The name game Waterscape

Throughout January research is being conducted to test possible names for the new waterways charity, which will take over the management of the waterways in 2012. Suggestions will be fed into Defra’s wider consultation, due to start shortly, about the formation of the charity.

Firstly, it is important that any prospective name does 'what it says on the tin’ i.e. it shows that the charity is about ‘waterways’ or ‘canals & rivers’. Secondly, the names should evoke a feeling amongst the wider public that waterways are a worthy ‘cause’ (and therefore include the terms ‘charity’ or ‘trust’). Please put your suggestion forward by filling in a short online poll. It will only take a few minutes and the results will quite literally help make waterway history.

The poll is open until 5pm on Friday 4 February 2011. Visit www.surveymonkey.com HERE to take part in the survey.

The suggestions are:

British Waterways

National Waterways Trust

British Waterways Trust

Waterways Trust

Canals and Rivers Trust

Along with the name change (if any) will come the great expense of changing sineage logos and stationary etc etc - I have seen this so many times in my job.

A vote to keep the name the same would be my preference.

And how much money are they going to waste on this "consultation" and the resulting "rebranding"?

I could make the decision in 5 seconds and save them a fortune. In fact I have done. How about "British Waterways".

Save them a fortune in repainting their vans and signs.

Are these people completely stupid?

And how much money are they going to waste on this "consultation" and the resulting "rebranding"?

I could make the decision in 5 seconds and save them a fortune. In fact I have done. How about "British Waterways".

yes, they are completely stupid

British Waterways

National Waterways Trust

British Waterways Trust

Waterways Trust

Canals and Rivers Trust

It's a long time since users had much of that in the canal operator, and I can't really imagine it changing, whatever the new set-up

Excellent. Go do the survey, that's an option in their lists

I just did

Richard

I like the response email address...NWC@..it looks like they have already made up their mind (New National Waterways Charity)...or it could be the best name, not mentioned - National Waterways Conservancy? :rolleyes:

If they are going to change how they are funded and how they operate then they need a new name. People are not going to want to give to British Waterways if they think that its mostly funded by the government.

most people outside of the boating world are blissfully unaware of British Waterways! So I don't think it will make much of a difference to them what it's called. Those who do know about British Waterways already are aware of the huge sums wasted by bad management that the notion of a total re-brand is stupid. It will cost them a fortune.

It won't be "British" though, BW Scotland is going their own (sensible) way.

I took British Waterways to be just that, all (most) of the navigations in Britain, the big island of the British Isles.

I have a friend, in the Transport Dept of Dublin City Council. When they did a re-branding, they "saved money" by buying the stuff to do their own vinyl lettering...what style would you like for your re-branding? :rolleyes::cheers:

Knock.jpg

most people outside of the boating world are blissfully unaware of British Waterways! So I don't think it will make much of a difference to them what it's called. Those who do know about British Waterways already are aware of the huge sums wasted by bad management that the notion of a total re-brand is stupid. It will cost them a fortune.

I don't think thats true around here. Maybe its because of the work and the museum in Gloucester docks but talking to people here they know about British Waterways for sure. I've been aware of BW since I was a child long before anyone in this family was into boats.

Also all the non-boaters that use the canals will be aware of BW but probably not know anything about the funding etc. I think rebranding it as a charity would help get funding from these type of people.

and seemingly nothing to prevent multiple submissions or so it seems....

Yep - I've voted for "British Waterways" three times so far. I'll keep on doing it when I've got an idle moment.

The whole exercise is a complete waste of our money.

I see they are not suggesting "The Waterways Trust" - perhaps because there already is one?, Here

Edit:

Life of Brian (1979)

Brian: Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front?

Reg: F##k off! We're the People's Front of Judea

Edited by Josher
  • Greenie 1

Excellent. Go do the survey, that's an option in their lists

I just did

Richard

I already have as well.

And there is a box at the bottom giving you the option of writing a comment.

The comment I left was something along the lines of, to save the cost of changing signage and logos keep the name the same

I see they are not suggesting "The Waterways Trust" - perhaps because there already is one?, Here

Edit:

Life of Brian (1979)

Brian: Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front?

Reg: F##k off! We're the People's Front of Judea

They could be The Waterways Alternative Trust.

At least the acronym would be appropriate