First boating trip - where to book? what to know?

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

we're looking to book our first ever canal boat holiday, for 4 or so days over Easter 2011. Who can help us?

What do we need to know?

Where can we get the best deal on a basic canal boat for 2 adults and 2 teenage children - there are so many companies out there!!

Where shall we go if we live on the South Coast?

Any help very much appreciated

Hmm, So much to tell. I would suggest you first pick an area, then look for the local hire companies, find out which ones do short breaks at Easter, so that will cut down the options to manageable numbers.

As regards area, I would do one of the popular narrow canals first time, easier locks and lots of people to help out if you need it (although the standard of advice given will vary). You don't say which part of the South Coast but if the A34 is handy I'd look at the Oxford or Stratford areas to begin with, possibly up to Brum if you're OK with a bit of Industrial Heritage rather than green fields.

With only four days, you're going to have to do a 'there and back' type holiday. Work everything out at three to four 'lock-miles' per hour, i.e 15 mins for a lock or a mile of cruising.

If the forestforestforest1 user name is a clue and you're in West Hants, we could probably meet in an hostelry and chat.

Edited to get the geography right - New Forest in West Hants not East, stupid boy Pike.

Edited by twbm

Depends on what you want from the holiday.

Do you want lots of locks, or places of interest to visit.

What we found is shire cruisers at Sowerby Bridge on the Rochdale give really good training for first timers, even going through the first 2 or 3 locks with you, although you would have to be prepared for some hard work on locks up there, but this is more than made up for by the sceniery on the Pennines.

Black Prince we found to be ok but won't use them now because of the extra charges for fuel they brought in.

Another company we have used is Anglo Welsh although tbh I did find the boat we used to be a little tacky IMO.

Just a little about the companys we have used if it helps, black prince and anglo welsh both have bases around the system btw.

Sure other posters can advise on places to cruise and other hire companys

Forest..........................

Welcome to the forum, we always hired with Alvechurch (they own Anglo Welsh as well plus a few others).

I recommend that you visit at least one hire base and have a look at the boats, with four of you it may/will be better to hire a slightly bigger (more berths) as often one of the births can be a 'cot'.

Try not to visit on turn-round day, Fridays ,Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays, the boat yard will be quieter, give them a ring first to see what boats are available to see.

What no one has said so far is, be aware they boat bug can bite and can lead to buying your own ;)

Our first narrowboat holiday as a couple was lock free on the Ashby Canal hiring from these guys-

http://www.ashbyboats.com/

Their boats are first class and the service very good. It helped gives us the confidence to then do a trip involving locks - the first one south being Sutton Stop which is possibly the easiest lock on the system.

This approach might not suit if you want to pile straight in and do locks from the start (a lot of folks do) it suited us at the time though.

Another company to consider are Napton narrowboats

http://www.napton-marina.co.uk/main/index.asp

Again very nice boats - we hired form them last April (for two weeks though).

One company we have never hired from but their boats look the business and they get good reports are

Valley cruisers based at Nuneaton -

http://www.valleycruises.co.uk/

Good luck and as has been said - get ready to get bitten by the bug....

Edited by MJG

Clifton Cruisers at rugby are my personal choice, very nice boats that dont scream "HIRE BOAT", good value, and a very helpfull friendly service. Not that close to the south coast but worth the trip IMO, i am also on the south coast and travel up there twice a year for our hols! also you have a good choice of routes from rugby, and no i am not related

Edited to add, you should also do some reading on boating before you go, i.e. locks, mooring ect, The Boaters Giude is very basic, but a good place to start, available on line as a pdf. Google should find it (i have not yet worked out how to provide links :wacko: )

Edited by P R

Hi.

my personal favorite is the Llangollen canal. if you use www.narrow-boat-hire.net

from Black water meadow marina Ellsmere they always have great deals on with fuel included. in 4 days you could get to

Llangollen and return going through just 2 locks and 2 tunnels and 2 aquaducts. 1 being the world famous one!

If you picked there 55ft 6 berth boat thats plenty of room with an extra large double bed at the bow and a twin

cabin midship for the little ones!

they also offer great training for beginers

hope this helps and dont forget to let us all no how you get on.

Clearly I am biased but the Leeds and Liverpool is lovely (and guaranteed water at Easter !) :glare:

Mention the forum and we'll sort you a discount out.

To the OP - whilst I can't endorse Richard's company or boats as I've never used them had we not bought our own we would have planned to use them to get on to the L&L again, and he is correct the L&L (particularly the bit north/east of where he is based is first class.

(PS I'm no relation)

Hi everyone,

we're looking to book our first ever canal boat holiday, for 4 or so days over Easter 2011. Who can help us?

What do we need to know?

Where can we get the best deal on a basic canal boat for 2 adults and 2 teenage children - there are so many companies out there!!

:D

Just thought id mention that if you are able to avoid any of the silly season dates you will make a huge saving. Easter week will be much more expensive and busy than say a week prior or after.

Hmm, So much to tell. I would suggest you first pick an area, then look for the local hire companies, find out which ones do short breaks at Easter, so that will cut down the options to manageable numbers.

As regards area, I would do one of the popular narrow canals first time, easier locks and lots of people to help out if you need it (although the standard of advice given will vary). You don't say which part of the South Coast but if the A34 is handy I'd look at the Oxford or Stratford areas to begin with, possibly up to Brum if you're OK with a bit of Industrial Heritage rather than green fields.

With only four days, you're going to have to do a 'there and back' type holiday. Work everything out at three to four 'lock-miles' per hour, i.e 15 mins for a lock or a mile of cruising.

If the forestforestforest1 user name is a clue and you're in West Hants, we could probably meet in an hostelry and chat.

Edited to get the geography right - New Forest in West Hants not East, stupid boy Pike.

Unlucky - forest comes from the team I support - I'm living in Bournemouth!!!! Your advice is great - so helpful

Unlucky - forest comes from the team I support - I'm living in Bournemouth!!!! Your advice is great - so helpful

Sad sad person why not support a proper team like the Magpies!!!

There are many good hire bases around as you live near Bournemouth why not take the advice and start in Oxford - the canal is pleasent and easy to work and its not too much driving for you.

'Tis a pleasure. mrsmelly makes a good point about prices butI guess you're stuck with school holidays. I'm not far away, near J2 M27 so the offer of a beer and chat still stands.

Sad sad person why not support a proper team like the Magpies!!!

There are many good hire bases around as you live near Bournemouth why not take the advice and start in Oxford - the canal is pleasent and easy to work and its not too much driving for you.

Hi.

I would second the South Oxford. This was my first canal holiday, and i was well and truly hooked. Not to far to travel up the A34 and a beautiful canal. One word of caution. Avoid starting on the Thames as we did a few years ago. Floods caused cancellation due to river levels. (Eventually did this trip the following year as Anglo-welsh would not refund!) The bonus was we late booked from Middlewich, and did the Llangollen. Superb.

John.

Hi.

my personal favorite is the Llangollen canal. if you use www.narrow-boat-hire.net

from Black water meadow marina Ellsmere they always have great deals on with fuel included. in 4 days you could get to

Llangollen and return going through just 2 locks and 2 tunnels and 2 aquaducts. 1 being the world famous one!

If you picked there 55ft 6 berth boat thats plenty of room with an extra large double bed at the bow and a twin

cabin midship for the little ones!

they also offer great training for beginers

hope this helps and dont forget to let us all no how you get on.

I would not recommend the Llangollen for first timers, think you need a little experience for this canal IMHO

The South Oxford is my favourite - our boat is moored near Cropredy - but, within your geographical tange, have a look at the Kennet & Avon also, e.g. Foxhangers Boats just outside Devizes.

I would not recommend the Llangollen for first timers, think you need a little experience for this canal IMHO

Why? It's the very first canal we ever hired on. No terrors on the Llangollen that I can remember

Richard

Hear hear Newcastle is a great team!! :)

There are other Magpies than the ones defeated by Stevenage!! Like the ones who play less than 1/2 a mile from the Forest and who defeated your arch rivals yesterday!!!

Edited by Richard T

i would say the Llangollen is great for people starting out. thats why i suggested to start at Ellemere as its only 2 locks up to Llangollen basin

was the first canal i ever done. was great fun and the aquaducts are just stunning!

Hi everyone,

What do we need to know?

I would go along with the advice about Ashby or Rugby boats. You are unlikely to get a bargain at Easter and it would be wise to avoid any cruise involving many locks as you are likely to spend a lot of time in queues. You might miss the royal wedding!

i would say the Llangollen is great for people starting out. thats why i suggested to start at Ellemere as its only 2 locks up to Llangollen basin

was the first canal i ever done. was great fun and the aquaducts are just stunning!

I found some of the narrow sections and well just one of the tunnels a litle tricky.

Heading towards Llangollen against the flow.

But maybe it was just us as we had not been boating for a while.

Also if going at busier times some not all first timers might find it a little intimadating.

This one is just me I know but I hate having a boat following, always feel I am holding someone up lol and usually pull over at the first chance to let them pass but as I say that is just me.

Agree about the Llangollen as a canal and rate it as the best I have been on bar none and everyone who boats has to cross the Potcysyllte at least once, we ended up crossing it 4 times in all 6 if you count the twice I walked across lol