Last/Latest Conversion

Joseph

Featured Posts

I've been asking about the earliest narrow boat conversions, and my curiosity has begun to extend forward in time.

Has anyone any idea which has been the last (or perhaps latest) conversion? One could define "conversion" as taking an unaltered working boat and putting permanent cabins on for pleasure use, rather than use as camping boats or the replacement of earlier attempts at conversion.

My suspicion is that the narrow boat hull on the Johnsons traffics in the Poteries, taken out of service about 1986, and later converted, could be a candidate. Has anyone any ideas?

The other one, while I am in pedantic mode, is when and which was the first "de-conversion". Obviously there are now several boats. I suppose the removal of minor adaptations would disqualify.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Happy New Year

Joseph

Hi Joseph there have been many, the one I know of is GUCCco small woolwich butty Meteorwhich was converted, rather badly in 2004, then deconverted a couple of years ago, there is a thread in the ether of history and heritage regarding her. The other one is possibly Themis? Sure more will be along shortly.

Regards

Dan

Hi Joseph there have been many, the one I know of is GUCCco small woolwich butty Meteorwhich was converted, rather badly in 2004, then deconverted a couple of years ago, there is a thread in the ether of history and heritage regarding her. The other one is possibly Themis? Sure more will be along shortly.

Regards

Dan

Themis is a recent deconversion, having been converted twice in her past. First was in the 1950s as a BWB trip boat (Water Kelpie), then as a private cruiser/home.

As a past owner, I feel it's a real shame that she's been added to the massed ranks of highly-restored ex-working boats when she had a real period history of her own. I'm not sure why the present/recent owner decided to deconvert and then sell on so quickly. I believe he posts here occcasionally so may be able to offer enlightenment, I know there is the opposing view that 'the more the merrier' in terms of shiny ex-working boats.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Themis is a recent deconversion, having been converted twice in her past. First was in the 1950s as a BWB trip boat (Water Kelpie), then as a private cruiser/home.

As a past owner, I feel it's a real shame that she's been added to the massed ranks of highly-restored ex-working boats when she had a real period history of her own. I'm not sure why the present/recent owner decided to deconvert and then sell on so quickly. I believe he posts here occcasionally so may be able to offer enlightenment, I know there is the opposing view that 'the more the merrier' in terms of shiny ex-working boats.

Tim

Conversion/deconversion should never be seen as an absolute final outcome - boats go through various metamorphoses as they go through owners. Whilst some boats seen at working boat rallies in pristine unconverted state have never been converted, many others have been at some point in their history and the condition of their hull is often the better for it.

Ironically Themis, which as you say has been deconverted recently, is apparantly destined to be partially cabined-over by its new owner!

As to the most recent conversion, from which I assume you exclude re-conversions, Lee (river class) and Prince Charles and Bilster and Cyprus (latter two undercloth conversions) spring to mind but there must be a good many others since Milton Princess (1986)

Paul

Roger Farrington added a full length cabin to a Woolwich (I think) boat for Will Hewitt and his new wife, about 12 years ago, but I cannot recall the boat's name, or whether it was the Motor or Butty which was converted. I just remember it was moored opposite our boat at Braunston at the time.

Not a lot of use that input really, was it?

Conversion/deconversion should never be seen as an absolute final outcome - boats go through various metamorphoses as they go through owners. Whilst some boats seen at working boat rallies in pristine unconverted state have never been converted, many others have been at some point in their history and the condition of their hull is often the better for it.

Ironically Themis, which as you say has been deconverted recently, is apparantly destined to be partially cabined-over by its new owner!

Paul

Older wooden conversions often were badly maintained and leaked/rotted and had a limited life span and of course they need to be dealt with in one way or another at the end of that span.

I'm not party to the exact condition of Themis' conversion at the time it was removed, but I know that it was nicely built on hardwood frames and believe that the last owner had looked after it well. Any new part conversion is likely to be a fairly standard steel box. That on Themis was definitely 'of its time' and never likely to be reproduced, which is why I feel it's a shame that it's gone. There are plenty of other unconverted Small Woolwich motors around :rolleyes:

I'd thought about making Bob an offer to buy it back, but his asking price was way out of my league. I gather the final selling price was somewhere near the ball park I might have entertained, but I'd bought my little tug by that stage.

Tim

Tim

Pictures here

Roger Farrington added a full length cabin to a Woolwich (I think) boat for Will Hewitt and his new wife, about 12 years ago, but I cannot recall the boat's name, or whether it was the Motor or Butty which was converted. I just remember it was moored opposite our boat at Braunston at the time.

Not a lot of use that input really, was it?

Will Hewitt's conversion was the Small Woolwich butty MOON, which he had paired with the unconverted Large Northwich motor OTLEY. Both boats were sold on during 2001.

Owl after it came into private ownership was converted into a hire boat with a wooden cabin in the 60s. It was then deconverted and a lift-in cabin was added in the 70s. (This was a bit like a tailor made porta-cabin) This in turn was discarded in the 80s and re- deconverted. It next had a second converson with a very poorly constructed 10' steel extension. Finally in the early 90s the re-de-conversion was re-converted with the present undercloth conversion.

I hope this is all clear.

The history of the butty is even more convoluted. :lol:

I may be imagining this one, but hasn't Beverley, (paired with Ascot), acquired a conversion relatively recently, (i.e within last 4 years or so ?).

Also one of the ends of Indus ??

Or am I remembering wrong ?

And don't forget Dover, of course !!

Tim

Hi Tim,

It helps if I had added deconverted into my post!!!!! Thanks for making it make more sense!!!

Regards

Dan

Will Hewitt's conversion was the Small Woolwich butty MOON, which he had paired with the unconverted Large Northwich motor OTLEY. Both boats were sold on during 2001.

Moon is now to be found at Sileby Mill in the ownership of Chris Williams of Ovation Boat Services. He is well known as BSC examiner and gas safe registered plumber. I know Chris used to have a pair - his motor may have been Otley.

Another late conversion is Josher Camel. This was done by Steve Priest and the Wains at Warwickshire Flyboat for Steve Jackson. It is usually to be seen at the Braunston show.

It might be a silly question, but I cannot help but think that there must be still quite a few boats, or hulls lurking about the system that are being sought out so as to turn them into a cruiser of some sort, and so the ultimate goal of the OP is likely an undecided factor that may never be reached until all possible candidates are consumed. Which begs the question - is there any point in the attempted task, and what will it ultmately show?

Good Lord!

I didn't think this would raise so many replies. Or that the question would be so complex. I had no idea that conversions were still taking place.

Derek, not sure if your query is directed at me. It is mostly an idle query, but appeals to the completist that perhaps lurks in all of us.

All the best, everyone

Joseph

Moon is now to be found at Sileby Mill in the ownership of Chris Williams of Ovation Boat Services. He is well known as BSC examiner and gas safe registered plumber. I know Chris used to have a pair - his motor may have been Otley.

Another late conversion is Josher Camel. This was done by Steve Priest and the Wains at Warwickshire Flyboat for Steve Jackson. It is usually to be seen at the Braunston show.

Chris used to have Skylark which I think he sold to Rupert Smedley. He may have had Otley but that must have been quite some time ago and Chris and Victoria have had it for quite a while (unless they ahev now sold it - I know they got rid of the butty). Chris now has a nice little modern tug (called Chug) usually based at Mercia.

On the Siskin build blog, on page one there is a photo with a working being converted to the right of Siskin. Not sure which one but it must be pretty recent.

Regards

Dan

Not sure which pic you mean, but could it be the Haydes Hyades being deconverted?

Edit - confusing my Greek mythology.

Edited by Speedwheel

Thanks for that Pete, at least I got the original builder correct. A bit difficult not to, as the bows were immediately opposite our boat, and I had to avoid them every time I pulled out. I had about 6" clearance if the boats either side of me were tied up. In twelve months I never hit the Woolwich once, even though Will had told me not to worry if I did nudge him.

(snip)

Derek, not sure if your query is directed at me. It is mostly an idle query, but appeals to the completist that perhaps lurks in all of us.

All the best, everyone

Joseph

Yes it was! OP being Original Poster. I wish you well in your research, though it does appear to be the equivalent of chasing marbles on a glass topped table!!

Derek