'Non boat discussion' thread

DHutch

Featured Posts

It occurs to me that we do not have a forum area for non-boat related chat other than the virtual pub. Is this something the membership base has been missing or feels would be an asset?

Daniel

Nope the VP is bad enough...

I think putting all the non-boating stuff in the VP works well, as it means you have to treat everything as one would a pub debate.

There may well be more frequent and serious arguements if you set up a totally non-humourous non-boating discussion section.

If people really want to debate things like politics and religion in great depth and seriousness then perhaps they should find a forum dedicated to that?

In fact, given that so many of us just look at New Content, do you need all the forums you've got? I ask because I know you do this for nowt, so if less forums is easier, all we really need is one for the boat, one for the pub and probably one for shopping - which I suspect reflects a lot of folks canal experience.

In fact, given that so many of us just look at New Content, do you need all the forums you've got?

Well, there is that certainly. But it does help when searching for things.

I think putting all the non-boating stuff in the VP works well, as it means you have to treat everything as one would a pub debate.

Yeah, i was just thinking about technical discussions about cars/computers/kitchens and generally advice on things non-boaty that you dont want to put i the VP.

You can always get around it, ive just a thread in the 'boat equipment' thread that non-boat equipment, for instance and maybe this is the best way to continue?

Daniel

The Virtual Pub is fine.....though it does occur to me we could extend the VP.

The Virtual Snug - for those warm, friendly, supportive conversations. (There's not many of them, so it's not used often :P)

The Virtual Pool Table - where people can discuss a load of balls.

The Virtual Gents - particularly popular with the long standing members, though currently closed due to long standing disgreement over the most suitable form of waste disposal

The Virtual Ladies - no idea what goes on there

The Virtual Beer Garden - in this weather only for those able to withstand drifting threads and icy comments.

• Greenie 1

I use "view new posts" and only pay attention to different forums when I'm starting a new thread. If it relates to boating I try to find the best fit, if it doesn't it goes in the Virtual Pub.

I think we're good as we are Dan :)

The Virtual Pub is fine.....though it does occur to me we could extend the VP.

The Virtual Snug - for those warm, friendly, supportive conversations. (There's not many of them, so it's not used often :P)

The Virtual Pool Table - where people can discuss a load of balls.

The Virtual Gents - particularly popular with the long standing members, though currently closed due to long standing disgreement over the most suitable form of waste disposal

The Virtual Ladies - no idea what goes on there

The Virtual Beer Garden - in this weather only for those able to withstand drifting threads and icy comments.

Not forgetting the 'Virtual front street' where the fights could spill out to..

I use "view new posts" and only pay attention to different forums when I'm starting a new thread. If it relates to boating I try to find the best fit, if it doesn't it goes in the Virtual Pub.

I think we're good as we are Dan :)

Same here.

My only comment would be that as I don't think posts in the virtual pup count to your post count it might be good to have a general area for real discussions that does count, and keep the really silly stuff (of which there is plenty, and often started by my other half :P )to the area where the posts don't count.

Sue

My only comment would be that as I don't think posts in the virtual pup count to your post count it might be good to have a general area for real discussions that does count, and keep the really silly stuff (of which there is plenty, and often started by my other half :P )to the area where the posts don't count.

Sue

It's not just Richard, there are a few of us in cahoots on that one!