Mr Finch

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

So the best course of action would be to reward the scrotes? Then why bother locking the boat, or your home, at all? I'm sure every thief has a compelling story, to justify his actions.

Sorry, but if you step onto my boat with ill intent, you leave your 'human rights' on the bank. Leaving food out indeed...

Henk, It is not about "rewarding scrotes" (what an unpleasant term that is), it is about damage limitation, or is that concept blinded by your apparent desire for confrontation?

• Greenie 1

No David, but rather than encouraging them, which leaving food out will do, we should discourage them. Sure, a more effectiver, harsher penal system should do that for us, but unfortunately the law is no longer on the side of the citizen.

Having just been ripped off by a deliberate non-payer has brought this sharply home to me. If I now let him get away with it, it will send out a message, that I can be easily ripped off. So I'm not letting him get away with it. Unfortunately, the law does not help me here.

The police would say, don't leave your boat in a vulnerable situation, like it's our fault we are being broken into.

How far we have come from the days when folks left their front doors unlocked!

Of course in those days if you caught a thief you dealt with him in summary fashion.

We're not allowed to do that now, as thieves have 'human rights'.

Well, I'm sorry, but if someone breaks the code of humanitarian conduct, then they have left themselves open to human retribution as far as I'm concerned.

I might be old fashioned, but that to me is a far better system than we have now, and I might end up in goal for that principle, if I (or Sophie) catch a scroat breaking into our boat.

The secret is, don't use a weapon. Use something that is to hand... like a tiller arm or a windlass... or in Sophie's case, teeth.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter
  • Greenie 2

The police would say, don't leave your boat in a vulnerable situation, like it's our fault we are being broken into.

Of course in those days if you caught a thief you dealt with him in summary fashion.

Well, I'm sorry, but if someone breaks the code of humanitarian conduct, then they have left themselves open to human retribution as far as I'm concerned.

I might be old fashioned, but that to me is a far better system than we have now, and I might end up in goal for that principle, if I (or Sophie) catch a scroat breaking into our boat.

The secret is, don't use a weapon. Use something that is to hand... like a tiller arm or a windlass... or in Sophie's case, teeth.

Tone

A man after my own Heart....very well said Tone.

My dog 'Bosun' is very good natured with all people but know's a wrong 'un when he see's one, especially if that person appears on the Boat uninvited.

Tone

Have to say I agree. I'd even be tempted to put a sign on the door to the effect of 'Passing this portal uninvited waives your right to unbroken limbs.'

• Greenie 1

167584_1646664738969_1607451499_1469632_3336440_n.jpg

Contrary to some opinions i did not purchase Bosun because because i am an aggresive person, nothing could be further from the truth.

I just happen to like Bullmastiffs, very good natured with all people and most other dogs, just a big cuddly toy if you like, yet happen to have a very protective nature towards both their owner and domain.

Hopefully this photo goes someway to showing his softer side and my previous posts were in no way intended to make either him or me appear to be 'best avoided', they were just a response to show my feelings towards people who choose to damage or steal others property.

The guy in the pic is another boater btw who was welcomed onboard and therefore was not seen as a threat, yet i sleep well at night knowing he is there and can leave the boat unattended with him onboard for a few hours without worry.

• Greenie 3

• 10 months later...

Damn, I thought, I've left a gas bottle on, although I have turned the isolator off

'Sue, did you unlock that sidehatch?' 'No' 'Hang on, the bolt is broken' - we've been broken into

Half an hour later, it dawned on me that I didn't leave the clean frying pan upside down on the draining board, or the knife, fork, mug, fish slice...

We've been Finched - again

Usual signs, entry by forcing a hatch, no theft or mess, washing up done

Richard

Damn, I thought, I've left a gas bottle on, although I have turned the isolator off

'Sue, did you unlock that sidehatch?' 'No' 'Hang on, the bolt is broken' - we've been broken into

Half an hour later, it dawned on me that I didn't leave the clean frying pan upside down on the draining board, or the knife, fork, mug, fish slice...

Richard

Hang him high... he didn't put the pan, knife, fork, fish slice and mug away....

All joking aside and I know much is made of him or his like being 'honourable' but I'm afraid I would not be comfortable with somebody who I do not know dossing down on our boat without our say so....

You are a very philosophical person. :D

Personally I wouldn't begrudge someone a meal and overnight shelter, but as my boat is my home I would feel very uncomfortable knowing that someone else's imprint was left on my space. Though that in turn does mean that the situation is less likely to occur for me... Well, that, and the lack of a side hatch, plus two big new deadlocks on the front door!

You know, I was a bit pissed off by this - the broken door bolt again - until I saw the washing up. I laughed so much at that that it doesn't really seem bad

To be honest, a bit of lost gas and replacing a bolt versus someone freezing to death at night? No contest really

Richard

Are you sure about that? Honestly?

Martyn

You know, I was a bit pissed off by this - the broken door bolt again - until I saw the washing up. I laughed so much at that that it doesn't really seem bad

To be honest, a bit of lost gas and replacing a bolt versus someone freezing to death at night? No contest really

Richard

Good attitude!

Have a greenie.

Brian

You are a very philosophical person. :D

Personally I wouldn't begrudge someone a meal and overnight shelter, but as my boat is my home I would feel very uncomfortable knowing that someone else's imprint was left on my space. Though that in turn does mean that the situation is less likely to occur for me... Well, that, and the lack of a side hatch, plus two big new deadlocks on the front door!

You've put it better than I did, our boat is not our home but it's a place we treasure and I see no reason why any body else should be able to stop buy in it without checking with us first...

Martyn

Ditto

Edited by MJG

Richard

Have a green one.

Even though that was how I was brought up, life's harsher further education over the intervening years has so eroded that upbringing that I no longer think I could treat it that way.

I reckon when he broke into ours (same way, through the side hatch) he did us a favour. The damage cost £4.99 to fix, and the security consultancy was worth far more to us than that. He showed us the weak spot in our security and after replacing the bolts we were able to fix it properly with a chain attached to the inside of the hatch, which hooks on to a ring under the gunwales with a bottle-screw when we're away.

And he did the washing up.

Richard

Which way is he heading does any one know ?

He was "allegedly" down our way (South Stratford) about this time last year where a couple of boats where side hatched :mellow:

Steve

Richard

This post and the responses remind me of motorbike near misses and accidents... with an accident you deal with the ripped leathers and smashed headlight. With a near miss there but for the grace of a few hundredths of a second, a sticky throttle or slippery tarmac goes the undertaker.

I hate the idea of someone being on my boat, the damage that they might cause and the personal invasion one feels, but if someone actually breaks into a boat but then treats it with respect and only uses it for food and shelter I just deal with the aftermath.

• Greenie 1

Martyn

I can see why you find what I say hard to believe, and it is true

Maybe it is because Tawny Owl was a hire boat and has had hundreds of owners before. Whatever, there is something strangely delightful about a burglar who does the washing up

Richard

Erk, bloody hell! Will the damage to the hatch and that be an expensive fix?

Roughly what area is your boat in, Richard?

Cheap fix - I should have done it before. Tawny Owl is at Hatton - and Finch goes for unoccupied boats. Don't worry, you'll be safe

Richard

As per another Mr Finch thread:-

The criminal Finch is 70 years old now, so surely if still active in the manner described without being caught, must be superhuman and could make a far greater living selling his secret of life on DVD.