Mr Finch

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I have just received a report that one of the boats on our moorings at Napton Junction has recentlty been broken into, with all the tell tale signs of Mr Finch's work. Just alcohol and food taken.

Assuming that it is the work of Mr Finch, this will be the third time he has targeted boats on our moorings in the past four years, and always at our end of the line, far away from the occupied caretaker boat. Our boat is the only one which he has left alone so far, but then he has already seen the inside when he broke in about eight years ago at Thrupp. Perhaps the lack of alcohol on board at the time has discouraged him, not to mention the additional security.

Given the recent cold spell, we are a bit surprised that he has not yet presented himself at Daventry Police Station for his traditional three months at Her Majesty's pleasure over the winter.

Edited by David Schweizer

I think Richard (RWLP) mentioned a break-in, in the Finch style, recently at Stockton.

Hatton. Yes, we were 'Finched' apparently about three weeks ago. I went up and secured Tawny Owl last Sunday.

If it was about three weeks ago (which is when a part of our boat was found on the towpath by on of the residents), then either this isn't Mr Finch, or he is travelling in company as "a couple of tramps" were seen hanging around.

Otherwise, it was the same as last time. Boat broken into, no mess, no theft (no food or drink on board).

Richard

Hatton. Yes, we were 'Finched' apparently about three weeks ago. I went up and secured Tawny Owl last Sunday.

If it was about three weeks ago (which is when a part of our boat was found on the towpath by on of the residents), then either this isn't Mr Finch, or he is travelling in company as "a couple of tramps" were seen hanging around.

Otherwise, it was the same as last time. Boat broken into, no mess, no theft (no food or drink on board).

Richard

:mellow:

Blimey

Old Fichy doesn't half get around a lot for a chap in his 70's a bit like Bonny and Clyde, its a well known fact that they could carry out 3 armed robberies on the same day at the same time and in 3 different states !!!!!!!!!

I think you'll find it's Finchlings :P

Cath and I have a couple of "Finchlings", and I believe I can be fairly confident they are not involved in any of this.

(Too easily able to raid our food cupboards, for a start, without needing to do any breaking and entering!....)

:mellow:

Blimey

Old Fichy doesn't half get around a lot for a chap in his 70's a bit like Bonny and Clyde, its a well known fact that they could carry out 3 armed robberies on the same day at the same time and in 3 different states !!!!!!!!!

Just for the record, Mr Finch is actually 69 years old, and despite his nomadic lifestyle, which he has persued for more than 40 years, is reported to be very fit for his age.

Whilst many of the reported break ins are clearly not of his doing, he does break into boats on a very regular basis and he often travels a significant distance in a day, presumably to ensure that he is well out of the area before his latest venture has been discovered. There are tell tale signs of his work, he never leaves a mess, he only takes, food, alcohol, batteries, money and sometimes clothing. If he stays on the boat overnight he also does the washing up after using your provisions.

I have seen him twice during the past 12 years, Once at Braunston, and once near Rugby, on both occassions he demonstrated his remarkable capacity of becoming invisible almost immediately, presumably something he learnt how to do during his alleged military service.

He has usually presented himself to the Police by now, usually either at Braunston or Oxford where he is well known. Does anyone know whether he has done so yet this year?

Just for the record, Mr Finch is actually 69 years old, and despite his nomadic lifestyle, which he has persued for more than 40 years, is reported to be very fit for his age.

Whilst many of the reported break ins are clearly not of his doing, he does break into boats on a very regular basis and he often travels a significant distance in a day, presumably to ensure that he is well out of the area before his latest venture has been discovered. There are tell tale signs of his work, he never leaves a mess, he only takes, food, alcohol, batteries, money and sometimes clothing. If he stays on the boat overnight he also does the washing up after using your provisions.

I have seen him twice during the past 12 years, Once at Braunston, and once near Rugby, on both occassions he demonstrated his remarkable capacity of becoming invisible almost immediately, presumably something he learnt how to do during his alleged military service.

He has usually presented himself to the Police by now, usually either at Braunston or Oxford where he is well known. Does anyone know whether he has done so yet this year?

:D

I think we all know him on the Oxford I last spoke to him about five years ago at Heyford, he broke into my previous boat twice whilst in previous owners hands. His military service is certainly not alleged he could well have broken into a boat down here last week as we had one done using his modus operandi, but many others have the same habits as Finch so could be anyone.........

I think we all know him on the Oxford I last spoke to him about five years ago at Heyford, he broke into my previous boat twice whilst in previous owners hands. His military service is certainly not alleged he could well have broken into a boat down here last week as we had one done using his modus operandi, but many others have the same habits as Finch so could be anyone.........

I hope their habits including the washing-up habit. When he broke into our boat, we only realised he had been there because he had washed up the ash-tray which we had omitted to wash before we left, and he had put away the other washing-up that we had left to drain.

A thief with principles.

Younger scroats would have wrecked the cabin and broken everything just for the sake of it.

Maybe we should just club together, buy him an old boat and keep him supplied with booze. It might be cheaper in the long run.

Or do you think he likes the variety?

Tone

We have often considered leaving a selection of tinned food and beer in the front well with a sign in the window asking Mr Finch not to break in, but saying that he is welcome to the provisions under the front covers.

A thief with principles.

Younger scroats would have wrecked the cabin and broken everything just for the sake of it.

Tone

I presume in that case you mean anyone under 69? Or are you trying to say it is only a certain age group that break into boats, could you point me in the direction(a link would be helpful) of known cases of boats being wrecked by people under 69?

He passed us twice, once at the top of the Napton flight walking down and once further south on the Oxford,The second time I tried to find him and cycled down the towing path, we had moored and were having a BBQ when he passed, but I could find no sign of him

It was not his time in the Armed Services that I was referring to, but the unconfirmed suggestions that he had served in either the SAS or The French Foreign Legion (or both)

I presume in that case you mean anyone under 69? Or are you trying to say it is only a certain age group that break into boats, could you point me in the direction(a link would be helpful) of known cases of boats being wrecked by people under 69?

Are you serious? No.... you can't be serious.

Tone

It was not his time in the Armed Services that I was referring to, but the unconfirmed suggestions that he had served in either the SAS or The French Foreign Legion (or both)

:wacko:

Ahhhh it must have evaporated from your original post, the only bit I read was alleged military service ? no mention of the SAS or any other Legion............still no matter ;)

Keep safe ...

24 December 2010 Last updated at 09:26

Warning follows boat burglaries in Surrey BBC

Boat owners and walkers have been urged to be vigilant following a spate of break-ins at vessels moored in a canal in Surrey. Surrey Police said thieves had targeted craft on the waterway off Bridge Road, Chertsey at least four times. Electrical items including a television and MP3 player were stolen from a riverboat during the latest incident on Monday. olice believe more burglaries may have gone unreported. The force has appealed for anyone with information to contact officers. Sgt Andy Gibbon said: "There are regular walkers and boat owners who may have seen something that could help officers track the offenders and bring them to justice. "It would appear there have been a number of similar offences and I would urge anyone who has suffered a break in to contact police. "There is a close knit community around the river and I would advise that everyone look out for each other in order to put a stop to this type of distressing offence."