Mr Finch

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I would advise that everyone look out for each other in order to put a stop to this type of distressing offence."

Remember the days when the police used to do that?

I don't think Finchy ever stole electrical goods. These break-ins in Surrey are more likely local yobs seeking an easy target. There were spates of it when I was working the trip boats on the Basingstoke 2002-2006. I actually passed one boat at Mytchett that was being raided in broad daylight, suspicious that the scroats having a party on it did not own the boat. They legged it when I walked back to it, dropping a toolbox in their haste to the woods, where there was a 'gypsy' encampment at that time.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

no matter what is done the thieves will still get in if they are determined.

even canal trust/society property is targeted. the wey and arun recently suffered a similar fate with a break in at our store with every padlock cut and kit taken.

the police know who it is but can't(won't) do anything!!

I have heard on the grapevine telegraph :D (well it is grape time of year) that Kensal Green in W London has been hit pretty hard in the last two weeks with up to 11 break-ins/thefts. One boater reported their genny stolen, police attended next day and found it in the cut, by the footsteps on the snowy boat, it looked like they had slipped and dropped it whilst removing it.

I have heard on the grapevine telegraph :D (well it is grape time of year) that Kensal Green in W London has been hit pretty hard in the last two weeks with up to 11 break-ins/thefts. One boater reported their genny stolen, police attended next day and found it in the cut, by the footsteps on the snowy boat, it looked like they had slipped and dropped it whilst removing it.

Pity they didn`t find the thieves and the Genny on the bottom of the canal.

Have there been actual breakins on the boats or has it been mostly thefts of externals such as generators and bikes? Worrying either way.

from what I heard externals. I will try to find out more.

There did seem a lot less boats there when I cycled through on Thursday.

Okay wild. I just spoke to someone moored there during the incidents and he says that it was actual break ins and externals. That's worrying. They were targetted nightly for about a week until they actually patrolled. There are no boats there now as everyone promptly evacuated once the ice thawed somewhat. I was hoping it was just the usual generator and bicycle shopping that happens everywhere but people were actually waking up to find someone entering boats etc. Yuck.

Stay safe and keep an eye/ear out for your neighbours and good luck.

Okay wild. I just spoke to someone moored there during the incidents and he says that it was actual break ins and externals. That's worrying. They were targetted nightly for about a week until they actually patrolled. There are no boats there now as everyone promptly evacuated once the ice thawed somewhat. I was hoping it was just the usual generator and bicycle shopping that happens everywhere but people were actually waking up to find someone entering boats etc. Yuck.

Stay safe and keep an eye/ear out for your neighbours and good luck.

Thanks for that leonie, someone mentioned to me before I moved from there that a couple of boats had been done, but I hadn't heard anything and left on one of the ice free days around 10 days ago, the subsequent report came after I had gone from someone who was still there. There was one night where there was some noise and my boat was boarded,but I activated the defence mechanism and that was the last I was disturbed.

Thanks for that leonie, someone mentioned to me before I moved from there that a couple of boats had been done, but I hadn't heard anything and left on one of the ice free days around 10 days ago, the subsequent report came after I had gone from someone who was still there. There was one night where there was some noise and my boat was boarded,but I activated the defence mechanism and that was the last I was disturbed.

Defense mechanism?

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I've just joined the forum and couldn't help noticing this thread. I thought I'd add to the info if I may.

On or around the 3rd January this year, we had a break in on our boat, Berengaria. At the time she was moored at Cropredy above the lock (opposite the houses if you know the area at all). Our boat was the only boat in the area apart from the lock-keeper's boat 200 yards down the tow-path.

There was superficial damage to the stern door (screwdrivered), but I think this was a point of exit rather than entry as the bolts were open on the inside. At the cratch end, one of the ventilation hatches had been unscrewed and removed, and the lock had been bent and jemmied, with small splinters of wood in the cratch. Several cans of beer (leftovers from a New Year party) were stolen, along with crisps, cheese, spread, and about £8 in loose change. Needless to say we've increased security by several factors since the break-in, police came to the boat but were unable to offer any advice.

We've since moved the boat, although our winter mooring is supposed to be at Cropredy we've moved her down the cut a ways to be closer to other boats and a greater sense of 'community'.

I'd be very interested to hear of any developments on this recent spate of intrusions...I'm a nice chap, but I have to say if I caught *anyone* doing damage to my boat they'd be in the cut within minutes followed by my heaviest windlass!

Does anyone have a photo of 'Mr Finch' so us newbies know what he looks like?

It isn't really much use.

Finch is a homeless petty criminal who holds his hands up to every theft, from boats, when the weather turns cold, to get a winter cell.

I know for a fact that many of the break ins, attributed to him, were committed by someone else (a boat owner) and some others were committed when he was actually in jail.

The myth of Finch is sensationalised by a few people, particularly in the Braunston area, who would rather there be a "bogeyman" to fear, than more than one petty criminal, in the area.

Tim Coghlan has written a "faction" story about Finch that can be read via the Braunston website. There is also a long out of date photo, on there.

It isn't really much use.

If a number of copies were placed in the CWDF gallery, at least what keeps appearing at the top of the forums page might get ousted out, for a while ?

Taken a few years ago

MrFinch2.JPG

You never see him, you only know when he's visited

Richard

I've seen him several times, but he disappears very quickly when he realises that you have recognised him.

Edited by David Schweizer

I've seen him several times, but he disappears very quickly when he realises that you have recognised him.

I had a brief chat with him, in the 90s, when I found him lying on the side of the A5, between Weedon and Long Buckby.

Once I'd established he hadn't been hit by a car, and was just drunk, I gave him my tobacco, rolled him further into the verge and carried on my way

That is correct. Friends of ours, sat on the towpath enjoying a drink with others, had a roughish looking guy walk past them and they thought they recognised him from the photos. As soon as they said "Hey, isn't that Finch?" apparently the character legged it a a rapid rate of knots.

Also, once as I was walking down the dark lane to Calcutt marina one night and as I passed a gateway in the hedge to the left I thought I saw a man's silhouette against the moon but pressed against the tall hedge. As I turned towards it to see who it was it legged it off across the field, very rapidly. I suspect that that was Finch also.

Roger

I'm fairly certain I've seen him too, on the oxford at heyford. But I didn't realise who I thought it was until the following day.

It's almost romantic, the notion of Finch. But then not having a boat I've not been on the recieving end, so it would be wrong of me to belittle the effect he has.

'well officer, I was disturbed/woken up by the intruder, who then atacked me with what I thought was a knive. I lashed out at him with this mooringpin/windlass/lenght of wood that was closest to me. When he fell down/staggered back, he hit his head on the speedwheel/geareboxlever, door, hatch..... Quite badly to, it seems....'

best not to be found breaking into my property.

And there is no such thing as an 'honourable thief'.....

That is correct. Friends of ours, sat on the towpath enjoying a drink with others, had a roughish looking guy walk past them and they thought they recognised him from the photos. As soon as they said "Hey, isn't that Finch?" apparently the character legged it a a rapid rate of knots.

That's right, I was there