Mr Finch

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

But just how do you secure your boat properly?

Do forum members have any real pragmatic solutions and tips to achieve this? that are outside of the "keep a windlass beside your bed or have a big dog stuff"

Portholes.

Rear hatch locked from inside.

Steel front doors, with Yale lock & steel bar which fits over the lock when necessary.

We have a cratch cover, but it's not good from the security point of view as it gives a thief cover to do his dirty deeds.

Amazing that this thread has bumped back up.I have just phoned my mate that I cruise with to let him know when I will be back. He then said "I did not mention this before as I did not want to spoil your trip,but your boat was broken into 2 days after you left looks like nothing was taken except maybe some clothes as all your clothes were on your bed" tv etc all still there this was on 8 January at Cropredy.

Yep, ours was broken into just above Cropredy lock around the 3rd/4th January (apologies if I've mentioned this elsewhere and sound repetetive) :)

If anyone wonders why there's a blockage in the Cropredy overflow it means I've caught them at it again.

Not sure why I am posting this under Mr Finch but anyway have just been told by email that my boat has now been broken into for the second time in just over 2 months. Not sure if it is the same person as first one as they would have known I really do not have anything of great value on my boat. Bit frustrating as I am still in South America so not sure what I will return to!!!!!

It would be a shame if people started leaving poisoned food and drink around - it would ruin the romantic tales of life on the canal...

On the other hand it would also help reduce the crime rate and anguish people go through having been burgled...

Nick

This thread is entitled Mr Finch.

I can't actually accept that the recent break ins in and around Cropredy is the work of this 'individual'.

Info from a local chap is that there are more and more people sleeping under bridges, there are travelers in the area and apparently there are a number of boats that are long stayers also in the area.

I hasten to add that I am not implying that the scoates that are doing this are any of the above people, could be the locals for all I know objecting to the new Marina in there own way.

I just wish I could catch them at it. Then what would I do?.........

Martyn

It would be a shame if people started leaving poisoned food and drink around - it would ruin the romantic tales of life on the canal...

On the other hand it would also help reduce the crime rate and anguish people go through having been burgled...

Nick

Whilst I sympathise with those who have had their boats broken into. I hope I am the first of many to say "Boo Hiss" to you.

Edited by fuzzyduck
  • Greenie 1

Whilst I sympathise with those who have had their boats broken into. I hope I am the first of many to say "Boo Hiss" to you.

Apologies - Really, I look forward to D-I-Y ing and sorting out mess after break ins and truly sympathise with those poor people who are forced to undertake such crimes - it is their human right after all and they should be given all the help they deserve - If only I could arrive whilst they were on the job, I could make them a cup of tea, put the heating on for them, tuck them up in my bed, read a bed time story and ask when they were leaving so I could come back... Or maybe take them to your boat for them to continue there ?

Nick

This thread is entitled Mr Finch.

I can't actually accept that the recent break ins in and around Cropredy is the work of this 'individual'.

Info from a local chap is that there are more and more people sleeping under bridges, there are travelers in the area and apparently there are a number of boats that are long stayers also in the area.

I hasten to add that I am not implying that the scoates that are doing this are any of the above people, could be the locals for all I know objecting to the new Marina in there own way.

I just wish I could catch them at it. Then what would I do?.........

Martyn

Martyn

I did say not sure why I am posting this under Mr Finch. It could be anyone. I am not that bothered as I know if anything is missing it can be replaced, my only worry is that it is at present also my home that it might be damaged in some way that living would be difficult until all is repaired. Still the weather here in Paraguay is very nice and if I have brought some comfort to someone then that is fine far worse things happening in the world to be to concerned about a boat break in.

Edited to say: martyn just saw your pm will reply direct

Edited by cotswoldsman

Or maybe take them to your boat for them to continue there ?

Wouldn't have to break into mine, cabin keys are left in door, which is usually left open.

Occasionally, the neighbours raid my beer / disposible BBQ stocks, but it gets replaced.

Besides, you think a dead rat smells, imagine how much a 2 week dead tramp would pong, after he'd gone all runny. I also suspect, after the inquest, the police might wish to talk to you re: Murder

Edited by fuzzyduck

Martyn

I did say not sure why I am posting this under Mr Finch. It could be anyone. I am not that bothered as I know if anything is missing it can be replaced, my only worry is that it is at present also my home that it might be damaged in some way that living would be difficult until all is repaired. Still the weather here in Paraguay is very nice and if I have brought some comfort to someone then that is fine far worse things happening in the world to be to concerned about a boat break in.

John

I was not referring to your post at all & I do realise what you had written at the outset.

I, like you were posting on this thread as it is the one running regarding boat tampering withs.

Martyn

Martyn

Don't forget Emma and I are only round the corner if there's anything we can do.

May be spending some time on the Grand union this summer and maybe a good idea if we keep updates on this thread regarding any sitings.

If you see a chewed up body floating along that stretch then it may be Mr Finch, or any other unfortunate soul who picked on the wrong boat.

Sorry to sound harsh but i would not stop the dog until i was sure that the intruder was not escaping.

DSCF1064.jpg

I honestly hope I never meet you.

Edited by Heffalump
  • Greenie 2

Don't forget Emma and I are only round the corner if there's anything we can do.

I honestly hope I never meet you.

Feeling is mutual i assure you.....

Too many do gooders and Human rights activists are making this country unbearable.

Why should i not take steps to protect my property from intruders?

If that involves someone breaking in while the dog is present then that is their misfortune.

Also, in reply to an earlier comment regarding dogs not being much of a threat i agree a lot of dogs would back down from a threat but not so a Bullmastiff, that is their temperament, to protect owner and property, that is why they were bred as game keepers dogs to catch poachers and have an inbuilt instinct to refrain any individual.

• Greenie 3

And why they are often owned by people of a violently unpleasant disposition. It's not a perfect indicator, by any means, but not a bad clue as to the type of person you might want nothing whatsoever to do with.

• Greenie 3

As the OP, I was merely asking of Mr Finch's whereabouts, not for suggestions as to how to deal with him, and am somewhat concerned about the implications of either poisoning the food that Mr Finch steals, or setting vicious dogs on him, both action which would land the perpetrator in Court if attempted. At no time would I wish him any premeditated harm, despite the fact that he has broken into our boat in the past. I certainly wish that he would stop breaking into boats and perhaps that the Penal system could encourage him to become less reliant upon criminal behaviour for his survival, but I suspect that time has long since passed.

Over the years I have learnt a lttle about Mr Finch's background and have some sympathy for the circumstances which have led him to adopt his nomadic life style. I understand from Police and Prison reports that his behaviour is co-operative when in custody, and I often wonder whether he would cause less damage if people left a small supply of food in the front well for him to take with a request that he does not break into the boat.

I realise that there are far more people living rough around the canal system than when Mr Finch adopted that lifestyle, and maybe not all of them would be so obliging, but from what what little I do know of him, I am fairly confident that he would respond positively.

Edited by David Schweizer

Not sure why I am posting this under Mr Finch but anyway have just been told by email that my boat has now been broken into for the second time in just over 2 months. Not sure if it is the same person as first one as they would have known I really do not have anything of great value on my boat. Bit frustrating as I am still in South America so not sure what I will return to!!!!!

Cannot somebody near John boat on here not do a recce for him??

I would but I reckon I'm about 200 miles away..

Cannot somebody near John boat on here not do a recce for him??

I would but I reckon I'm about 200 miles away..

Martin

Some have already done so and some are intending to do in the coming week or so if required. I for one is in contact with John concerning this.

Martyn

As the OP, I was merely asking of Mr Finch's whereabouts, not for suggestions as to how to deal with him, and am somewhat concerned about the implications of either poisoning the food that Mr Finch steals, or setting vicious dogs on him, both action which would land the perpetrator in Court if attempted. At no time would I wish him any premeditated harm, despite the fact that he has broken into our boat in the past. I certainly wish that he would stop breaking into boats and perhaps that the Penal system could encourage him to become less reliant upon criminal behaviour for his survival, but I suspect that time has long since passed.

Over the years I have learnt a lttle about Mr Finch's background and have some sympathy for the circumstances which have led him to adopt his nomadic life style. I understand from Police and Prison reports that his behaviour is co-operative when in custody, and I often wonder whether he would cause less damage if people left a small supply of food in the front well for him to take with a request that he does not break into the boat.

I realise that there are far more people living rough around the canal system than when Mr Finch adopted that lifestyle, and maybe not all of them would be so obliging, but from what what little I do know of him, I am fairly confident that he would respond positively.

So the best course of action would be to reward the scrotes? Then why bother locking the boat, or your home, at all? I'm sure every thief has a compelling story, to justify his actions.

Sorry, but if you step onto my boat with ill intent, you leave your 'human rights' on the bank. Leaving food out indeed...

• Greenie 1