Crazy new boat safety requirement

Dominic M

Featured Posts

From 2012 boats over 8 metres will be required to be fitted with an audible bleep when going astern. It must be intermittent witth an interval of between 5 and 10 seconds and in the range of 90 and 130 db. It is a retrospective requirement. Anyone got any plans to how this may work?

• Greenie 1

From 2012 boats over 8 metres will be required to be fitted with an audible bleep when going astern. It must be intermittent witth an interval of between 5 and 10 seconds and in the range of 90 and 130 db. It is a retrospective requirement. Anyone got any plans to how this may work?

As you go backwards you shout bleep at the top of your voice at the required intervals :rolleyes: Sound mad!! :banghead:

It's not April 1st, but I can't believe this is for real!! Does this mean when the prop is going astern, or when the boat is going astern? I could have the prop going astern for some time before the boat actually goes backwards. Conversely I could be going astern with respect to the ground when in fact I'm in forward gear because I'm pushing a river current or a tide. Sounds totally bonkers to me! Must be from the EU!

Your source for this, as Google seerms to reveal absolutely nowt on the topic ?

Or is there a punch line coming that I have failed to guess ?

(I tend to "hover" waiting for locks, and to use a fair amount of reverse when in them, to avoid the use of ropes. It's going to be a bloody irritating experience!....)

I notice you have ducked down to avoid the flack! (edited to add - you are now back from the pub?)

Will there be hearing aids available for free to boaters who have old noisy engines which are above the 90 db range?

At what distance will the db be measured? Maybe you should have a reversing light at the stern so we will all know where to ram your boat from behind?

Edited by PhilR

I can understand an audible reversing warning on, say, a lorry, as it is harder for the lorry driver to notice if someone decides to walk across the path of the reversing lorry. But on a narrowboat the driver is right at the back so has perfect visibility to notice if anyone walks across behind the reversing boat!

Who is going to be safer as a result of hearing a boat's reversing beep? If someone doesn't notice a boat coming towards them in reverse, they are not going to notice a boat coming towards them forwards, either.

It's going to make life a bit noisy for people who live near locks and other places where boats manoeuvre.

ah well won't effect me then as I don't know what astern is.

I can understand an audible reversing warning on, say, a lorry, as it is harder for the lorry driver to notice if someone decides to walk across the path of the reversing lorry. But on a narrowboat the driver is right at the back so has perfect visibility to notice if anyone walks across behind the reversing boat!

Who is going to be safer as a result of hearing a boat's reversing beep? If someone doesn't notice a boat coming towards them in reverse, they are not going to notice a boat coming towards them forwards, either.

It's going to make life a bit noisy for people who live near locks and other places where boats manoeuvre.

JESUS?

This is so obvious that there will probably be an amendment to say that in the case of narrowboats an audble alarm isn't necessary in reverse, but must operate when going forward.

Edited by journeyperson

This is so obvious that there will probably be an amendment to say that in the case of narrowboats an audble alarm isn't necessary in reverse, but must operate when going forward.

I think audible sound 60% of time going forward and 40% in reverse would be a good solution lets wait and see what RYA think.

Regardless of how much of a wind up this is there is the practical question of how to fit an audible reversing alarm.

I think the simplest vehicle alarms are a replacement of the reversing bulb for a dual purpose one. Similar could be fitted on a boat but how to actuate it?

Seems there would have to be some linkage to the morse controls at the gearbox to operate a microswitch?

Anyone who can't hear my Gardner when I'm reversing deserves to be run over. If I'm REAALLY lucky it'll be best-selling author Tony Blair who's walking on the water behind me....whoops! Sorry Tony, didn't you hear me coming?

To be really effective the bleeper would only have to operate when the boat is actually going astern, not when reverse gear is selected, otherwise, when slowing down for a mooring, for example, it will be going off while the boat is still going ahead.

This means it will have to be triggered by some form of satellite tracking device. It could be quite an expensive bit of kit. B)

Tone

• Greenie 1

You could have beepers, whistle/horn signals plus shouting, frantic random hand waving and finger signals , reversing lights, orange flashing indicator lights, brake lights, white head lights rear red lights, with white mast head lights, white stern lights, green and red side lights. It would add tremendously to the colour and sounds of the waterways. Or alternatively how about requiring that three short blasts on the whistle/horn should be sounded when going astern when there is potentially conflicting traffic.

Cheers Don

Edit to remove stammer

Edited by DandV

Most older powered boats already have an alarm installed. It's called a worn reverse box. Engage astern and a fully automatic high-pitched whine is generated. This can be made intermittent by slowing the engine to about 50 rpm . There may be a problem with direct reversing Bolinders etc. A solution may be found by piping an old steam loco whistle to the exhaust pipe via a valve linked to the engine reverse control.

Bill

I'm not going to worry and I'm certainly not going to fit such a daft device.

While googling this topic I came across another European quango which is looking into restricting the use of such devices on the grounds that they contravene noise abatement legislation.

So we'll probably be required to fit one, but will not be allowed to use it. :P