Eccentric Characters

system 4-50

Featured Posts

They are already at the lock flights, in Northamptonshire.

The Jesus Army follow you down, being extra "friendly", while you are a captive audience.

If they help you work the locks they are useful to have around. When we went down those locks some years back one bridge sported the message 'Jesus Saves' Under that someone had written 'But Kevin Keegen scores on the rebound.' Back then the graffiti men were both clever and whitty - maybe they got a better education.

I can only assume that the various followers of Jesus and witnesses of Jehovah prey (pray?) on us because they reckon that floating on water is the next best thing to walking on water.

Edited by Québec

Whilst travelling the Grand Union.

A chap chatted amiably to me for 5 minutes whilst I worked a lock single-handed before coming out with: "Do you think the problem of suffering will ever be solved?". I got away without taking a tract.

Another time a bloke chatted to me for while before commenting that for the task in hand, my brain was probably not operating on the right theta level, with more detail I cannot now recall. Ok, I can cope with that.

But yesterday a youth of about 17 came up to me and tried to get me into an extended conversation about my boat. He was very pale and quite visibly continuously shaking but without looking ill. Drugs was my first thought though I have no experience of that culture. He asked for a glass of water and I agreed whilst making it clear he could not come on the boat. As a solitary elderly male I am extremely wary of being "set up". He drank it, returned the pastic cup, and to my great relief, departed. My question is - are there any individuals that are known to be best avoided in this area? (Grand Union Milton Keynes)

just out of interest, where abouts in MK??

Regards

Dan

When we were going down to Stratford in May I met a youngish chap at one of the locks.

He had a windlass so I thought he was off one of the boats coming up. There was something slightly unnerving about him, not threatening, but not quite right.

He started winding paddles for us, asking me questions and making sure I got the answers right, and that I really understood what he was saying.

There wasn't much "normal" conversational to and fro, and I decided he must have some issues, but carried on chatting anyway.

There was a lady sitting on one of the benches, and she introduced herself as his mum. He was about 20ish, and suffered form asbergers syndrome. Once I knew that I was less concerned. Apparently he loves boats and has his own windlass so he can go and help the boats down the locks. He's like a caged lion if kept inside so his Mum walks up the flight with him to help boats down. He decided we were the ones to help and did about 8 or 10 locks with us.

He knows a lot about the canals, hence me having to answer the questions correctly!

I did consider offering him a lift, but wondered if that might make him think he could do that with any boat, as I know from experience with a friends son that this condition makes it sufferers like order, and makes it hard for them to know they can't do the same thing every time.

As for Strange religious types, some friends took Tawny Owl into Birmingham and moored outside the NIA a couple of years ago. They were wakened at about 4 in the morning by a lady in flowing robes performing some sort of right over the boat, very strange.

Sue

I met an 'eccentric character' very early one morning on our return to Anderton along the Llangollen. I was out with my Sea Searcher, having a quiet plumb of the depths, when I saw a rather dishevelled young man bow hauling a rather tatty GRP boat. He had come from Hurleston Junction where he had bought the boat as a Section 8. The motor was knackered and he intended pulling it to Llangollen! He had no food or money and was heading to Wales to see his kids.

His hand was bleeding badly where he had damaged it in a lock. I took him back to our hire boat and took him inside to wash his wounds and urged him to get to a GP in Wenbury. The rest of the family were just getting up so we cooked him bacon butties and gave him several cups of tea. We sent him off with some food and tins (and a tin opener) that we wouldn't be needing, a load of antiseptic wipes, some 'baccy and 'a bit extra' :lol: and wished him well. I often wonder if he got to his destination.

Nut cases are everywhere, especially on the canals and in city centres...

Generally speaking these people are very friendly, and can actually teach you something if you spend long enough chatting to them...

I can understand why people are afraid of every stranger they come across, people generally seem to be terrified to leave their homes, but I've lived on the canals for four years and haven't had the slightest bother even though I've lived in some pretty 'rough' areas...

It is a shame that the majority of the population is terrified of each other, I guess it's just lack of exposure to 'the real world'...

On the other hand, I find a useful way to deter folk is to act more nuts than they are...

Caslefields is where i always get the life story from someone , the ymca or some other hostel is there and people come out of there say hello and if any reply is given thats all that is needed.

I dont think they are nuts or strange just sociable and not put out by chatting with strangers , i am supposed to wear an hearing aid in each ear but dont on the boat in case they go in the cut so for the most part i just nod and smile and say the occasional "is that right " or "your not wrong" and let them tell thier tales , they go off quite happy after telling me it was good to meet me and wish me well.

As soon as they are gone my kids come out of the boat and ask who was that , thats me i say when you lot are not with me.

:lol::lol: I have laughed out loud at this thread - thanks for that!

I am a single woman, cruising alone and have met many different types of weirdos on the cut. Most were interesting or funny or both. But I am probably regarded as weird too as my latest motto / goal in life is always to be the first to smile at people. I want to do my little bit in fighting the default position of society that we should be afraid of people until they have been proved to be safe. I would rather assume the best, until proved wrong. So I go around grinning like a maniac at people which can be, I suppose, a little unnerving!

Just one comment on being accepting of weirdos - why is it that the only group of people not allowed to be weird are Christians? I know they can be a pain in the bum at times (and I know this more than most having in my dodgy past worked for the Church of England), but it seems tolerance seems to stop short when it comes to them. But then again, I had a boat hammer past me while I was moored recently and when I politely asked them to slow down just a touch, the woman shouted 'No' and revved her engine - and yes, there was the fish and BCF logo - great advertising!!

Just one comment on being accepting of weirdos - why is it that the only group of people not allowed to be weird are Christians?

I thought it was in the job description??

There's nothing weirder, than showing gratitude for an imagined "creator", in my opinion, but I defend their right to practise their strange rituals and even their right to tell me that I will suffer eternal damnation, in the fiery pits of hell, for merely disagreeing with their bizarre concepts....

...as long as I can continue to take the mick out of them and any other religion (I don't discriminate. I think they are all silly).

I thought it was in the job description??

There's nothing weirder, than showing gratitude for an imagined "creator", in my opinion, but I defend their right to practise their strange rituals and even their right to tell me that I will suffer eternal damnation, in the fiery pits of hell, for merely disagreeing with their bizarre concepts....

...as long as I can continue to take the mick out of them and any other religion (I don't discriminate. I think they are all silly).

D'you know your avatar has gone missing?

Richard

What a strange thread you've started.

You relate three tales of encounters with strangers, who may have acted strangely, by your standards, yet offered no threat whatsoever, and then link it to a question about strangers to be avoided.

Owing to the eccentricity of the thread, perhaps you should include yourself, on your list, then try and work out how you are going to avoid you :lol:

Quite so.

We are all (potentially) someone else's nutter :lol:

Ditchdabbler

Ah, the gentle art of getting a double seat to yourself on a train by the simple expedient of smiling at people.

When young I used to get a whole compartment be singing loudly.

:lol::lol: I have laughed out loud at this thread - thanks for that!

I am a single woman, cruising alone and have met many different types of weirdos on the cut. Most were interesting or funny or both. But I am probably regarded as weird too as my latest motto / goal in life is always to be the first to smile at people. I want to do my little bit in fighting the default position of society that we should be afraid of people until they have been proved to be safe. I would rather assume the best, until proved wrong. So I go around grinning like a maniac at people which can be, I suppose, a little unnerving!

Just one comment on being accepting of weirdos - why is it that the only group of people not allowed to be weird are Christians? I know they can be a pain in the bum at times (and I know this more than most having in my dodgy past worked for the Church of England), but it seems tolerance seems to stop short when it comes to them. But then again, I had a boat hammer past me while I was moored recently and when I politely asked them to slow down just a touch, the woman shouted 'No' and revved her engine - and yes, there was the fish and BCF logo - great advertising!!

Maybe she was on the way to confession and wanted something to confess.

They are already at the lock flights, in Northamptonshire.

The Jesus Army follow you down, being extra "friendly", while you are a captive audience.

These people are most odd... Avoid.

Because Ian Dury was a musical genius.

At the risk of displaying my innate pedantry, he was a lyrical genius. 'His' band were the musical ones, I dont think Mr Lovepants could play a note.