Leeds & Liverpool Canal Restrictions and Closures

Dalesman

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anybody seen Foulridge reservoirs lately? A friend of ours said it looked "half full" last week but surely thats not correct?

No - it looks half empty! :)

It's not easy for the passer-by to judge how full a reservoir is, but the latest figures issued by BW (on 30th August) said that Upper Foulridge Reservoir was 21.9% full while Lower Foulridge Reservoir, which is many times bigger, was just 10.2% full.

I quote the full figures here on my website, putting them into the context of the reservoirs' respective sizes.

that has saved us a trip to look for ourselves, doesn't look like we can move for some time yet.

David

As I'm not sure of your expe4rience, where abouts is your boat, dependent on where you are based it may possible to do some cruising.

Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs.

John

Hi John,

we are at wheelton, and the canal water is taking on the qualities of a duck pond,

there is a proper pub and chippy nearby, though, and great scenerery.

Also we are exploring the old Lancaster canal route to Bamber Bridge, very interesting, a lot more infrastucture there than I ever imagined there would be, its well hidden.

cheers, D

No - it looks half empty! :)

It's not easy for the passer-by to judge how full a reservoir is, but the latest figures issued by BW (on 30th August) said that Upper Foulridge Reservoir was 21.9% full while Lower Foulridge Reservoir, which is many times bigger, was just 10.2% full.

I quote the full figures here on my website, putting them into the context of the reservoirs' respective sizes.

It's a pity that BW's engineers continue to use Megalitres. The old canal company always talked of lock fulls of 80,000 gallons which would have been a continuous reminder to them of what the water control was all about. Now it is just a mathematical equation, with little to suggest that they are dealing with a canal that creates income for small businesses and leisure for many boat owners.

we are at wheelton, and the canal water is taking on the qualities of a duck pond,

there is a proper pub and chippy nearby, though, and great scenerery.

Hi Dave

At least your able to move a bit then, there's certainly worst places to be stuck on the L&L.

We're finding water levels dropping on the Gargrave to Bingley stretch as it effectively becomes the Top Pound.

John

Hi Dave

At least your able to move a bit then, there's certainly worst places to be stuck on the L&L.

We're finding water levels dropping on the Gargrave to Bingley stretch as it effectively becomes the Top Pound.

John

The level seemed to be down by three to four inches when we took Kennet from Skipton to Bradley and back yesterday - we were part of Bradley Fun Day and had over 140 visitors in three hours. We didn't have too much in the way of problems, rubbing over stuff on the bottom three or four times, not much different from normal, though it was noticeably more difficult to get in to the side, and somewhat slower in order to keep wash to a minimum.

The level seemed to be down by three to four inches when we took Kennet from Skipton to Bradley and back yesterday - we were part of Bradley Fun Day and had over 140 visitors in three hours. We didn't have too much in the way of problems, rubbing over stuff on the bottom three or four times, not much different from normal, though it was noticeably more difficult to get in to the side, and somewhat slower in order to keep wash to a minimum

We were one of the 140, interesting boat, I heard one of your colleague's commenting that the winding hole was a tad on the shallow side, given Kennet's daught it's hardly surprising.

A couple of times since the closure we have had difficulty in getting off on the few occasions we've been able to get close.

John

Apparantly there is a big BW pow-wow on Friday. The rumours are rife for an imminent opening of the western side only.

How far east?? will it unlock your yard at Barnoldswick?? or are you still going to sit tight at Selby??

Not at the moment we think - just Barrowford to Wigan is likely initially. I suspect to help feed the Liverpool Link.

No shortage of water that i have seen in the liverpool pound , even with the link back open , i went down on the third sep and back on eleventh and the water level was up to bywashes.

At burscough the last 3 days and again plenty of water so this twenty odd mile pound is not in need that i can see , even though these farmers all have thier pumps canalside.

Stop planks have been removed this morning at the top of the Johnston flight at Wheelton.

They are suggesting it will open in Friday but nothing official

Nigel

Posted on another thread on 9th something was going on , might see the man who told me tomorrow and will ask what he knows.

Monday 2 August 2010 until further notice

UPDATE (15 September 2010): Schedule for the re-opening of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal

Following review of the reservoir levels in the North West, we are pleased to announce the following scheduled re-opening of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal:

•Friday 17 September – 40 mile section between Barrowford and Wigan;

•Wednesday 22 September – remaining 20 mile section between Barrowford and Gargrave.

Restrictions on passages will remain on all lock flights between 9-4pm with single passage on the Wigan lock flight in each direction. For full details of the canals restrictions please visit the dedicated drought pages on www.waterscape.com or by calling British Waterways Customer Services on 01923 201120.

• 3 weeks later...

Canal fully reopened from Monday: -

Leeds to Liverpool

Thursday 23 September 2010 until further notice

UPDATE (01 October 2010): As from the 4th October the leeds & Liverpool Canal will be fully re-opened to navigation.

With the exception of Office lock to Spring Garden lock where restricted opening time of 10.00am will still apply

Bingley Locks, Normal seasonal opening hours apply

What exactly does that mean? Surely not just one boat per day?

It means that there is just one assisted passage for any number of boats in each direction. i.e. if 4 boats are waiting at the bottom lock at 10am they will be the ones who go up.

Not that it matters now as all restrictions on the canal were lifted today !