Boat of the future unveiled at Chester canal rally in June

Josher

Featured Posts

I've read this thread through several times and still can't find my opinion, on the topic.

Perhaps it's time to change my avatar, again?

Possibly, a darwinian fish said "whatever next, sails?" It's the sort of thing you would say but it was actually Luctor!

And I can read your mind by the way, so I don't need you to post... :lol:

Mmmm...

...Seems to me that Darwinian evolved into Pavlovian.

You rang?

:lol: Seeing as I have caused the confusion, by finding a similar avatar to yours (well, they do both contain a fish.... ) after you added yours, I'll change mine. Now to find an avatar that does not contain a boat..

Edit.. Oh well, I did try... :lol:

Edited by luctor et emergo

:lol: Seeing as I have caused the confusion, by finding a similar avatar to yours (well, they do both contain a fish.... ) after you added yours, I'll change mine. Now to find an avatar that does not contain a boat..

Seems reasonable...

Once you have such a product, the last thing you should do with it is burn it in the top of a cylinder. Internal combustion is, and always will be, inefficient compared to external combustion where it is possible to design efficient combustion spaces. One of the simplest ways to use such technology is the hot air, or Stirling cycle, engine, a virtually silent and highly efficient way of producing rotating energy. Kept to their simplest form, they are not a responsive engine for rapid changes in speed, but are ideal for boats or generators. They can also be produced using existing manufacturing plant, so why aren't they used. Perhaps because they were first designed circa 1820, and no PR or marketing person would want to promote old technology, even if it is better than what we use now.

I've always understood hot air engines to be inefficient, a good example being the Whispergen which is an inefficient generator, seems efficient in the winter when all the extra heat produced is used for heating the boat but wasteful in warm weather.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Will this ever catch on?

Nope, its an abortion to look at, too expensive and lets face it every "boat of the future" has been a failure so far. Crossley gas engine in "Vulcan" - not for long, Electric propulsion on the Staffs & Worcs - not for long, Steam towpath Haulage on the SUC - not for long, "Progress" new wide boat for GUCCC, never saw any real service, FMC Pioneer - failure, Alvechurch eco bow - seen everywhere?? and so on ......... anybody thought of using a horse? or even an Ox? Low wash, eats the towpath, plenty of manure for those damn roof gardens ........can in contact with others of oppsitte sex produce own replacements............... eventually great to barbeque!!

I've always understood hot air engines to be inefficient, a good example being the Whispergen which is an inefficient generator, seems efficient in the winter when all the extra heat produced is used for heating the boat but wasteful in warm weather.

A properly designed hot air engine should work at around 80% efficiency. I don't think much research is being done at the moment, the last real university interest was probably by Dr Organ in the 1980s at Birmingham University.

Latest:

Chester First

GREEN activists are set to welcome in a hydrogen-fuelled narrowboat when it stops off in Chester during its first-ever canal cruise.

The boat, “Ross Barlow”, was developed by students and faculty at Birmingham University to spread awareness of how hydrogen can be generated and used as an alternative source for energy.

Chester will be the final leg of the 120-mile journey from the Worcester and Birmingham Canal at Birmingham University.

The boat will also be showcased at a special event at Tattenhall Marina on Saturday, June 19, before it is parked in the city at Chester Basin for the Tom Rolt Centenary Celebration Rally on Saturday and Sunday, June 26 and 27.

The Inland Waterways Association spokesman for the Chester branch, Gillian Bolt said: “The boat will provide trips around the marina to demonstrate the silent electrically propelled system – the future means of clean, zero-emission canal and river boat propulsion using hydrogen as fuel.

“This is against a backdrop of a rapidly growing demand for energy. It is predicted that we have no more than 20 years to implement the extensive measures required to meet these challenges.

“Representatives from the University of Birmingham will be on hand to explain hydrogen generation.”

The final seven miles to the rally at Tower Wharf, Chester, will be a charity pull by a pantomime horse and fun characters on Friday, June 25, in support of the Starlight Children’s Foundation for seriously and terminally ill children.

• 1 month later...
GREEN activists are set to welcome in a hydrogen-fuelled narrowboat when it stops off in Chester during its first-ever canal cruise.

This boat came past me just outside Nantwich yesterday.

Just one question: If this hydrogen power is so good, why was the boat being towed by another (diesel-powered) one?

Anyone coming to Chester for that? I'll be around for it and I seem to remember reading that DHutch would be too. Anyone else coming along?

I guess if the boat can carry, and deploy, sufficient hydrogen - then it would be able to float over bridges instead of wrestling the Tesco/Sainsbury shopping trolleys

It might be able to blow the bridges to smithereens!

Anyone coming to Chester for that? I'll be around for it and I seem to remember reading that DHutch would be too. Anyone else coming along?

It might be able to blow the bridges to smithereens!

If we get across the Mersey we'll be there

Sue

If we get across the Mersey we'll be there

Sue

Yay! I'll be around. Currently moored smack bang in the middle of the basin where they're hosting the rally, however I suspect rusty old Mabel won't blend in discreetly witht the other boats, so I'll move off outside of town and wander in pedestrian-stylee!

Yes, but, watch the hidden agenda

Hydrogen is a byproduct from nuclear power stations, which is very convenient for the nuclear lobby.

Hydrogen is a byproduct from Nuclear fusion not fission. Power stations use fission as fusion hasn't been perfected yet.

Hydrogen is a byproduct from Nuclear fusion not fission. Power stations use fission as fusion hasn't been perfected yet.

Surely hydrogen is the fuel for nuclear fusion rather than a by-product. Hydrogen needs to be produced by nuclear fission as it is an energy intensive process needing lots of electricity.

Surely hydrogen is the fuel for nuclear fusion rather than a by-product. Hydrogen needs to be produced by nuclear fission as it is an energy intensive process needing lots of electricity.

Both fission and fusion produce hydrogen so I was mistaken before.

It's the heat of the water that greats the hydrogen and oxygen, when using Nuclear it doesn't create co'2 like fossil fuels would do.

Edited by Robbo

Both fission and fusion produce hydrogen so I was mistaken before.

It's the heat of the water that greats the hydrogen and oxygen, when using Nuclear it doesn't create co'2 like fossil fuels would do.

I'm afraid you're mistaken again.

Fusion does not produce hydrogen.

It uses hydrogen (or at least the hydrogen isotopes, deuterium and tritium) by fusing them, to produce energy and the byproduct helium-4.

I'm afraid you're mistaken again.

Fusion does not produce hydrogen.

It uses hydrogen (or at least the hydrogen isotopes, deuterium and tritium) by fusing them, to produce energy and the byproduct helium-4.

I thought the heating of the water was were the "byproduct" hydrogen came from? Been the H2 bit of water. Does not the heating the water produce hydrogen and oxygen?

Thank you for reminding me what the byproduct was from fusion - I knew there was a usable by product vs fission.

Of course I'm talking about the full power plant, not just the the fuel here..

Edited by Robbo

Heating water produces steam, an altogether more tried and tested method of boat propulsion than nuclear fusion. :lol:

Well as they haven't got Nuclear fusion really working yet for more than a few seconds(?). Bet the French crack it in my lifetime though.

On the the original topic, I think Hydrogen powered vehicles is the future, but no electrical powered anything is green when you get your electric from fossil fuels. France has 60? Nuclear plants, producing around 80% of their electric.

Edited by Robbo