To Bath or not to Bath

OffGridManc

Featured Posts

The hire boats we have hired had baths fitted. We never used them and we saw them as a waste of otherwise useful space. As we rarely use the bath at home, much prefering showers we are highly unlikely to use one on a boat. It certainly wouldnt be on our list of needs.

I am of the same mindset. Baths just don't seem as practical as showers on boats (assuming one has the cabin height to fit a shower). Baths use too much water so unless you have your own water point it doesn't make much sense.

But it's whatever suits the individual. Some people want the option of an occasional bath and that's fine. Personally I've always prefered a quick shower rather than wallowing in my own filth in a bath.

Edited by blackrose

The ceiling of my boat is only about 3/4" above my head so how could I stand under a shower. You would have to be really short to have a proper shower.

Hi

My whole boat was built around the issue of a shower.

I made the mistake of buying the shower before the boat was built - I couldn't resist at the price I paid.

I had to keep the floor of the boat at a minimum, I had keep the ceiling at its maximum.

I had to cut down the shower base to its minimum and it went in with less than a millimeter of clearance.

This entailed my wife sitting on the floor, with her back against the wall and pushing the whole cubicle in with her feet, while I guided it.

It looks well now but I almost failed.

Alex

DSCF2073.jpg

The ceiling of my boat is only about 3/4" above my head so how could I stand under a shower. You would have to be really short to have a proper shower.

In our first boat there was a square cut out of the floor so that the shower tray could sit directly on the base-plate. There was plenty of headroom.

Jeez and you say a bath is impractical!

Look at the amount of space that shower cubical takes up lol !

I cant see how a bath of 4 foot could take up any more space than a shower.

No one has actually said why not to have a bath.

I am just exploring the possibility before possibly dismissing it.

How big is a bathroom cubical typically on a livaboard?

Your water tank and calorifier will have to be big so you will need plenty of room to fit them and a plentiful water supply.

They use up loads of space which could be otherwise engaged

It's depends on whether you are taking about the practicabilities of fitting or living with a bath or shower? A shower may certainly be more difficult to fit if there's limited headroom.

If you can fit a shower then the vertical space it occupies is more practical than the horizontal space a bath would take up. It's about the footprint area or floorspace rather than the volume.

Plenty of people have given you their opinions on why not to have a bath, while others have given the opposite view. Ultimately it's your boat and your bathroom.

Edited by blackrose

We have a bath, although it typically sees 20 uses as a shower to every bath (much like the bath at home).

We also have a large calorifier, and fresh water tank.

You said you wanted a full size bath, not a 4 foot one

We've got a four foot bath on our 40 foot boat, in a crossover bathroom. It may be a complete waste of space on a small boat but we absolutely love it. As well as enjoying long soaks in a bubbly bath, it's also great for dumping wet towels in when the dog has been for a dunk in the canal!

Hi

It is a bit big - but its foot print is only 4'x4'. I hate small showers and I hate shower curtains.

Alex

Well I will add my two penn'orth without reading all the other posts, so please forgive any repetition.

We have a bath - albeit not a full size one - on Warrior, and I wouldn't change it.

We only very occasionally use it to have a bath, when we've got a calorifier full of hot water and are near a water point, but it's so much better for using the shower or washing with a bucket and jug. A bath doesn't take up much more room than a shower really and we have dispensed with shower curtain/screen as we sit down (soak flannel in hot water and sit on that until the bath warms up) to lather up using a bucket, and then use hand-held shower to rinse off.

Jan is adamant that our boat will have a bath, given we will be extended cruising and this is what she does at home I say fair enough, I prefer to shower so the obvious choice for us will be a bath with a shower above.

As Jan is not the tallest person in the world so we will probably get away with a 4 foot bath.

The bigger challenge will be finding a used boat with this config. that ticks most (if not all) of our other boxes too.

We've got a four foot bath on our 40 foot boat, in a crossover bathroom. It may be a complete waste of space on a small boat but we absolutely love it. As well as enjoying long soaks in a bubbly bath, it's also great for dumping wet towels in when the dog has been for a dunk in the canal!

How big is your dog? Our German shepherd's towels fit comfortably in the shower.

Sue

How big is your dog? Our German shepherd's towels fit comfortably in the shower.

Sue

Rottweiler sized with very fluffy fur that takes at least two, more often three, towels to get even nearly dry. I'm sure they would fit in a shower, but my other point still stands - I like having a bath :lol:

On the water point, hose in place, engine running (calorifier), boiler running, lying in the bath with the shower going - bliss!

I hope you don't spend more than half an hour there...

We've a 4ft hip bath and twin 60l calorifiers. I don't think they'd be enough to fill a full size bath so instantaneous hot water would, in my head, be necessary.

I've heard it said that Morcos Aldes etc have a relatively slow flow rate. Would a full size bath already be going cold as it's filling I wonder.

One thing that springs to mind is condensation.

A bath would create more which is not good on a boat surely?

A bath would probably create more water vapour than a shower, simply because of the length of time all that hot water sits there, but if your bathroom ventilation/extractor fan is adequate then it shouldn't result in a condensation problem.

I have a 15" porthole with a top hopper in my bathroom which I always leave open when I'm taking a shower. With the 12v extractor fan, this ensures good airflow. You don't want a steamy bathroom on a boat.

Edited by blackrose

I hope you don't spend more than half an hour there...

We've a 4ft hip bath and twin 60l calorifiers. I don't think they'd be enough to fill a full size bath so instantaneous hot water would, in my head, be necessary.

I've heard it said that Morcos Aldes etc have a relatively slow flow rate. Would a full size bath already be going cold as it's filling I wonder.

We've previously filled the bath from the Morco before it got removed, and it's a fairly slow process, aye.

Currently, we've a 90L calorifier heated to 70degC, and that's plenty of hot water when mixed with cold for a full bath, with more to spare. Even with CreamCheese liking it scaldingly hot.

Three or four baths between water point trips, with our 1200L tank, inc normal usage.

PC