Live-aboard but no residential moorings.

Shasterian Noble

Featured Posts

I said

"The canal is used in many many different ways, it always has and it always will be."

Read it again.

I don't need to read it again. You posted a simplistic answer and told me to Get Real and Get Used To It. How is that different to "I'm right, you are wrong"* ?

Richard

*summarising somewhat

Ok I must be wrong, though I was thinking of the city centre. I was really trying to get Carl to say he had moored at a visitor mooring as he says he never has.. :lol:

I have never moored, overnight, on a 24 or 48 hour mooring, except when I spent 4 months on one.

I have moored in the centre of Birmingham but never stayed more than a few hours. Birmingham is a big place, with a lot of canals and only the centre is regulated at less than 14 days.

I'm not sure why you're trying to catch me out, though.

I don't need to read it again. You posted a simplistic answer and told me to Get Real and Get Used To It. How is that different to "I'm right, you are wrong"* ?

Richard

*summarising somewhat

Sorry Richard I am obviously not speaking simply enough for you let me give you an example;

It rains.

If i say to you "get used to it" it does not mean that the rain is right or wrong, it just means it is inevitable.

Does that help?

So.....

Six pages since i looked this morning and you're all saying (every single poster);

"What I do is fine, what you (want to) do is wrong"

I have not said that at all.

The OP asked a question and I answered it positively, using my experience as an example.

Sorry Richard I am obviously not speaking simply enough for you let me give you an example;

It rains.

If i say to you "get used to it" it does not mean that the rain is right or wrong, it just means it is inevitable.

Does that help?

More insults.

I understand what you are saying. I object to being told to how to behave or think. "Get Real" and "Get used to it" Get up my nose.

Get it?

Richard

More insults.

I understand what you are saying. I object to being told to how to behave or think. "Get Real" and "Get used to it" Get up my nose.

Get it?

Richard

Well I am sorry you feel insulted.

If you took my original statement to heart then I can only conclude that you believe that somehow by a shallow debate on an internet forum you can prevent people choosing a way of life that is becoming increasingly popular, if so you delude yourself.

I could take against continuous moorers (sorry Dave) but where would be the sense in that? You are obviously not going anywhere despite, for some strange reason, BW trying to scoot you all off into marinas.

So I will get used to it.

So.....

Six pages since i looked this morning and you're all saying (every single poster);

"What I do is fine, what you (want to) do is wrong"

Get real.

Before you claim what every poster is doing, Chris, you probably need to carefully read every post.

Re-read mine please!

I thought I said, (paraphrased), "I don't actually do this myself, but here's an option which although not always actually strictly 'legal', might prove to be the less hassle option for you".

Show me where I said anything OP wanted to do is wrong, or where I say he needs to comply with my view of your notion of what I think is "right".

Don't know about "get real", but at least "get accurate!".

Seems to me that OP has got his act together far more than some of the experienced hands posting here.

I neither expect nor want the rosy picture you seem to hate so much all of the time. I'm not even sure why you chose this thread to vent like that. I've lived in more difficult circumstances and you are in no position to comment on my motives. It might make your blood boil but that's no reason to jump to prejudicial conclusions. I find your inferred accusations about dodging the system etc pretty offensive. I will live within the law and pay whatever is right and proper.

Having said that, I appreciate your concerns and take your point but please don't patronise me or immediately assume that because i'm new to this forum that I haven't had anything to do with boating in the past. Finance is only a tiny part of my reasoning, and no, I will not be like some who claim it has nothing to do with things. It's certainly not number one on the list though!

If I may be a little presumptuous myself I'd say there are a few (thankfully only a few) who enjoy their lifestyle so much that they are resentful of anyone new sharing it.

Well said, and if I may say very diplomatic, well done you. I have only been living aboard for 2 years and I certainly didnt do it for any quote "rosy" outlook!!! It can be a tough life, -but life is what you make of it or even want it to be. I love my life and would never change it now- I hope I'm not offending anyone by saying this.

Anyway back to the point, I know of someone who has purchased a parcel of land on the oxford canal, But despite many efforts cannot get permenant moorings, so what they have done is to let folk stay for 28days then pop off for a couple of weeks then return again,( at least I think thats what they do- i'm not sure of exact BW ruling here- not my prob so i didnt probe) mean time the cars etc can stay on the land. A bit like the caravan site rules. Maybe that type of set up would work for you.

Do you think it is the bad weather, the ice, the cabin fever, the looking towards spring which still seems a long way off or just pure cussedness that is making so many people so cross on here???

Oi! Who you callin' Cross!!!!

Richard

:lol:

How do BW know or check that the information you put is actually correct, i.e you could give a place as your home mooring on the application with out actually having a mooring there. Would they actually check this out?

That wouldnt be very truthful though would it? :lol:

Im sure there are cases where many boats are alledged to have the same home mooring though :lol:

That wouldnt be very truthful though would it? :lol:

Im sure there are cases where many boats are alledged to have the same home mooring though :lol:

No that's what i thought i was just interested in what if any checks they do make to stop people from doing excactly that.

Edited by ditch paddler

No that's what i thought i was just interested in what if any checks they do make to stop people from doing excactly that.

BW check on moorings on BW waters and threaten to check on non BW waters. BW told a friend that they would check on her non BW end of garden mooring and she muttered trespass as it was the only way they could verify it.

Sue

OK,

lets be truthful here,

BW ......when I came to renew my Licence on the 31st Dec, said they only accept certain cards, but not Maestro or Maestro Delta, even though these are accepted worldwide by anyone who takes money.

I went through the application, after phoning and being told everyone had 2 weeks holiday.

I tried my Credit card, wouldn't work, tried to ring, answer machine, .....

eventually put my maestro details through, just as a last resort, even though it kept telling me I couldn't.

Money taken, licence received 24th Jan.

so my little white lie about my permanent mooring can be brushed under the same table.