Live-aboard but no residential moorings.

Shasterian Noble

Featured Posts

But of course if you can pay to overstay on 24/48 hr visitor moorings then they no longer serve their purpose which is to give everyone a fair chance of visiting. What a devious two faced way of collecting fines.

It remains to be seen wether people will stay and pay the fee or move on though. If its the latter it should free up mooring space

now thats an idea, a pinned topic of the most helpful poster and the least.....I wonder how many regular names would crop up, and I bet twopence that the list of crabby posters is double the size?

I'd be kind of dissapointed if I were not nominated for both lists!

It remains to be seen wether people will stay and pay the fee or move on though. If its the latter it should free up mooring space

Thing is - if they do it on the Lee, it's not really freeing up mooring space, coz theres enough room for everyone - it's all about charging the boaters moored on the towpath and legitimising it.

The way I'm looking at is BW quotes the fee as 'roughly that of an average mooring'. I'd be thrilled to be able to moor up somewhere nice and central and pay the price of an 'average mooring'.

But of course if you can pay to overstay on 24/48 hr visitor moorings then they no longer serve their purpose which is to give everyone a fair chance of visiting. What a devious two faced way of collecting fines.

Quite :lol: . If it's, say, 10 pound a day to over-stay, are there places on the canal where it would be cheaper to pay that for a full length boat than find a mooring, especially if you were really close to a city centre..

Quite :lol: . If it's, say, 10 pound a day to over-stay, are there places on the canal where it would be cheaper to pay that for a full length boat than find a mooring, especially if you were really close to a city centre..

Possibly. But at least they would be paying something rather than just staying for nothing.

£10 a day would be same as what I'm paying in zone 3 for my marina. I agree with Leonie plenty would pay it. It would actually be more expensive for me (as a marina moorer), coz I could be paying £10 a day when I cruise on top of my marina mooring. BW don't encourage us to 'boat', really do they?

To the OP - sorry for the thread derail. :lol: Tis a hot topic as you can see.

Edited by Lady Muck

I think it stinks, also sueb pointed out (which I agree with), that if they bring in a £10 charge for any stay after 24 hours, then there is no way you'll actually be able to visit a place properly (other than a quick dash into town) unless you cough up. I wonder what towns such as Audlem, who were badly affected by the stoppage this summer would have to say about that. It reminds me of businesses in London suffering because of over-the-top parking restrictions.

The issue is that there is a finite amount of mooring space available.

If there is space for 8 boats to moor and visit a village, then it stands to reason that if 4 people decide that a 24 hour visit won't be enough for them, and they want to stay for a week, then 24 people won't be able to visit even for one night.

Is it fair that in pursuit of you wanting a week to explore a place, six others should have no opportunity to visit at all?

Are Agenda 21 moorings still available in Oxford and would one of them suit the OP ? Don't shout at me as I don't know the answer, just throwing in another option.

The issue is that there is a finite amount of mooring space available.

If there is space for 8 boats to moor and visit a village, then it stands to reason that if 4 people decide that a 24 hour visit won't be enough for them, and they want to stay for a week, then 24 people won't be able to visit even for one night.

Is it fair that in pursuit of you wanting a week to explore a place, six others should have no opportunity to visit at all?

On the Lee (I can't talk about anywhere else) even with all the towpath mooring, there is always space for me to visit towns along the way. I think the £10 a day makes it more expensive for me to go boating.

Thing is - if they do it on the Lee, it's not really freeing up mooring space, coz theres enough room for everyone - it's all about charging the boaters moored on the towpath and legitimising it.

That's exactly what it's all about, nothing whatsoever to do with mooring but about seeing a chance to reap money from an increasingly popular pastime, finding a space on visitor moorings is a problem for boaters not BW. Micro management never works. Can't see any system working as well as the present one.

So, the scheme needs to be properly modelled;

• Sliding fees
    • 48 hours free
    • £10 per 24 hours or part thereof up to 7 days
    • £25 per 24 hours up to 14 days
    • £100 per 24 hours beyond 14 days.

[*]Fees set so as to allow overstaying only to the extent that the mooring will accomodate extended stays without inconveniencing those who want a short stay

[*]Limits on how long you must be away before the clock starts again

So, the scheme needs to be properly modelled;

• Sliding fees
    • 48 hours free
    • £10 per 24 hours or part thereof up to 7 days
    • £25 per 24 hours up to 14 days
    • £100 per 24 hours beyond 14 days.

[*]Fees set so as to allow overstaying only to the extent that the mooring will accomodate extended stays without inconveniencing those who want a short stay

[*]Limits on how long you must be away before the clock starts again

A sliding scale does make more sense if they have to introduce it all. Otherwise I'm eyeing off a spot somewhere between Paddington and Limehouse and I have my chequebook ready :lol:

surely as a part of this they would impose a limit on the maximum extension? Otherwise an awful lot of people as you say would fork out £3.5k per annum happily for what is in effect a convenient permanent mooring!?

A sliding scale does make more sense if they have to introduce it all. Otherwise I'm eyeing off a spot somewhere between Paddington and Limehouse and I have my chequebook ready :lol:

Will there still be somewhere for us to breast up for a couple of days when we want to visit the capital. :lol:

(Perhaps I can pay you £5 a day towards your £10 a day costs, if you let me!).

and then you've got to find someone with a tin hat to police it. they've totally failed to find anyone who will do it on the K & A so far.

Well now they're talking about eradicating the private clamping operations, there'll be no shortage of nasty evil b@stards looking for a career change.

Are Agenda 21 moorings still available in Oxford and would one of them suit the OP ? Don't shout at me as I don't know the answer, just throwing in another option.

hi there,

thanks for the post. I can find almost zero info on the agenda 21 moorings. They sound ideal but info is either non existent or rather closely guarded.

@lady_muck don't worry, it's interesting debate anyway.

When I used to holiday with family as a kid it surprised me that they didn't charge actually. You think of the pretty tourist places by car and parking charges are astronomical.

However, I'm not for a second saying that it's right but I can't see them dropping it as it will make easy money.

Will there still be somewhere for us to breast up for a couple of days when we want to visit the capital. :lol:

(Perhaps I can pay you £5 a day towards your £10 a day costs, if you let me!).

I'm guessing there won't be as it'll be full of us overstayers paying our way to prime moorings. I think the 'if you let me' comment is where the weight of that sentence is :lol:

Whats intrigued me most about the plans for the Lee, is why they feel the need to zone/charge for those popular tourist destinations such as Tottenham, Clapton and Hackney (where most of the cc boats are moored).

Please, tell me you've been dying to visit Northumberland Park. is it poverty tourism?

surely as a part of this they would impose a limit on the maximum extension? Otherwise an awful lot of people as you say would fork out £3.5k per annum happily for what is in effect a convenient permanent mooring!?

If they introduce a sliding scale, and make it £100 per day beyond 14 days, how many would fork out £35k for the convenient mooring?

I'm beginning to think I have some strange habits!

Even though I only "pootle" about, in 7 years of boating (of up to 3 months a year) I've only twice stayed 48hours in one place, in both instances due to really adverse weather conditions. I've always taken the view that if I have to run the engine for a couple hours to recharge the batteries then I'd might as well cruise for a few miles and enjoy some fresh scenery.

I'm beginning to think we "fair weather boaters" are the real CCrs after all!

-- runs for cover :lol:

I'm beginning to think I have some strange habits!

Even though I only "pootle" about, in 7 years of boating (of up to 3 months a year) I've only twice stayed 48hours in one place, in both instances due to really adverse weather conditions. I've always taken the view that if I have to run the engine for a couple hours to recharge the batteries then I'd might as well cruise for a few miles and enjoy some fresh scenery.

I'm beginning to think we "fair weather boaters" are the real CCrs after all!

-- runs for cover :lol:

I agree with that as well. Only twice have we stayed anywhere for 48 hours