Live-aboard but no residential moorings.

Shasterian Noble

Featured Posts

I neither expect nor want the rosy picture you seem to hate so much all of the time. I'm not even sure why you chose this thread to vent like that. I've lived in more difficult circumstances and you are in no position to comment on my motives. It might make your blood boil but that's no reason to jump to prejudicial conclusions. I find your inferred accusations about dodging the system etc pretty offensive. I will live within the law and pay whatever is right and proper.

Having said that, I appreciate your concerns and take your point but please don't patronise me or immediately assume that because i'm new to this forum that I haven't had anything to do with boating in the past. Finance is only a tiny part of my reasoning, and no, I will not be like some who claim it has nothing to do with things. It's certainly not number one on the list though!

If I may be a little presumptuous myself I'd say there are a few (thankfully only a few) who enjoy their lifestyle so much that they are resentful of anyone new sharing it.

welcome to the "friendly canal folk" forum. Don't let it get you down, Carl is correct. I live aboard all year round and work in Manchester. Some folks just don't want to share their treehouse. If you want to make it work you can. But you better belive its a hell of a lot harder than living in a house, and a previous poster did point out, coming home to fill the coal bucket, empty the loo and then find you have run out of electric or something is not fun. But I would not change it.

Hi Mark,

Yes I attempt the 'work life balance' of living aboard, continously cruising as wide an arc as possible around London and working a 9-5 job. Actually, I wish my work hours were contained to 9-5, it'd make my life much easier.

It is 100% doable, 100% enjoyable, 100% extremely frustrating, definitely cheaper than living in a box in the centre of the City but seriously more expensive than you initially bargain for. Everything that can go wrong, will go wrong and you more often than not find yourself dressed incorrectly for whatever you are doing; be that business meeting or emptying the loo :lol:

To avoid the stress of 'everything is going wrong', I live as simply as possible so if my engine fails (and it does) and my battery flattens, it doesn't feel too much like the end of the world for a week until I can get to the engine in the daylight hours etc.

Other things to consider? I need a lot more wardrobe/clothes storage than the average boater because I need to look halfway human at the office and have patchy access to laundrette and laundry facilities. Many of the old laundry haunts are closing.

My weekends are busier with chores. If I don't sort the boat out on Saturday/Sunday I may be facing a very uncomfortable wee, and I see less of my friends although my friends become invaluable on some weekend moves as they make excellent lock monkies.

Hope that helps. Don't be put off by the pretty harsh/downright rude responses you may gather in your wake while you explore your options. I like to put it down to a combination of jealousy and short sightedness.

Well said Leonie - except for the bit about an uncomfortable wee......have you thought of visiting a doctor :lol:

Yeah Carl, but didn't you find the constant need to have to and pick up, and leave, a car at different places a mite tiresome? That's the thing I always disliked.

Not really.

I moved within the old, stricter, "guidelines" of 10 miles a fortnight, with no return and, found the 10 mile bike ride, back for the car easy enough.

Edited to say: There was a lot less of me, then, of course.

Having a Land Rover meant parking was no problem and most farmers will let you use a roving bridge, for a couple of weeks, if money is waved in front of them.

In less rural areas (the BCN was within my commuting distance) buses were always available and working in Rugby meant I could use the trains almost as often as I used the car.

Edited by carlt

Hi Mark,

Yes I attempt the 'work life balance' of living aboard, continously cruising as wide an arc as possible around London and working a 9-5 job. Actually, I wish my work hours were contained to 9-5, it'd make my life much easier.

It is 100% doable, 100% enjoyable, 100% extremely frustrating, definitely cheaper than living in a box in the centre of the City but seriously more expensive than you initially bargain for. Everything that can go wrong, will go wrong and you more often than not find yourself dressed incorrectly for whatever you are doing; be that business meeting or emptying the loo :lol:

To avoid the stress of 'everything is going wrong', I live as simply as possible so if my engine fails (and it does) and my battery flattens, it doesn't feel too much like the end of the world for a week until I can get to the engine in the daylight hours etc.

Other things to consider? I need a lot more wardrobe/clothes storage than the average boater because I need to look halfway human at the office and have patchy access to laundrette and laundry facilities. Many of the old laundry haunts are closing.

My weekends are busier with chores. If I don't sort the boat out on Saturday/Sunday I may be facing a very uncomfortable wee, and I see less of my friends although my friends become invaluable on some weekend moves as they make excellent lock monkies.

Hope that helps. Don't be put off by the pretty harsh/downright rude responses you may gather in your wake while you explore your options. I like to put it down to a combination of jealousy and short sightedness.

Wow, a comprehensive reply, and a polite poster. Thanks to carlt, leonie, grahoom and anyone else contributing constructively.

As you say it's a big lifestyle shift but I'm preparing myself for that as much as one can. It sounds as though an hour commute may give me the flexibility needed but to be honest I may well wait till I can sort a mooring (at least over the winter months end of the year when I will be hoping to take the plunge.) Would at least give me the benefit of experiencing the worst months first so preparing me for the low points!

Get yourself a berth in a marina - simple. Then you have facilities to make your life easy and you can get on with living, and performing well at your job. And whenever the whim takes you, you can head off and live somewhere else for a week or two without leaving home!

Pseudo-CCing is just aquatic vagrancy - and looks utterly miserable, no background for holding down a proper job!

Pseudo-CCing is just aquatic vagrancy - and looks utterly miserable, no background for holding down a proper job!

Other (saner?) opinions may vary :lol:

Wow, a comprehensive reply, and a polite poster. Thanks to carlt, leonie, grahoom and anyone else contributing constructively.

As you say it's a big lifestyle shift but I'm preparing myself for that as much as one can. It sounds as though an hour commute may give me the flexibility needed but to be honest I may well wait till I can sort a mooring (at least over the winter months end of the year when I will be hoping to take the plunge.) Would at least give me the benefit of experiencing the worst months first so preparing me for the low points!

Good luck then. The winter months can be the toughest afloat but for my money, I think I prefer them. The boat becomes wonderfully cosy and warm when the fire is roaring and snow tarts up the post industrial landscape quite nicely. Also it cuts a swathe through the towpath gawkers which bother me greatly in the summer months :lol:

Enjoy your boating however you choose to do it.

Have you thought about hiring a boat for a few weeks or more (at this time of year), should give you an idea of the pros and cons.

That's a pretty good suggestion. You could try commuting in from your hire boat from various locations and see how it feels.

I neither expect nor want the rosy picture you seem to hate so much all of the time. I'm not even sure why you chose this thread to vent like that. I've lived in more difficult circumstances and you are in no position to comment on my motives. It might make your blood boil but that's no reason to jump to prejudicial conclusions. I find your inferred accusations about dodging the system etc pretty offensive. I will live within the law and pay whatever is right and proper.

Having said that, I appreciate your concerns and take your point but please don't patronise me or immediately assume that because i'm new to this forum that I haven't had anything to do with boating in the past. Finance is only a tiny part of my reasoning, and no, I will not be like some who claim it has nothing to do with things. It's certainly not number one on the list though!

If I may be a little presumptuous myself I'd say there are a few (thankfully only a few) who enjoy their lifestyle so much that they are resentful of anyone new sharing it.

If you read my opinion impartially you would see that it is non specific to any individual. However if you want to take it personally thats your choice I can only assume I've tweaked a nerve by hitting on a number of home truths.

What complete and utter rubbish!

Once again you make the assumption that ccers wish to break the law.

It was a great way of life that only came to an end because my son was born.

If you are young fit and single (or even better, with an enthusiastic partner) then it is far more pleasant than sitting on a tube train for hours.

I now live in a house, a 10 minute walk from school and work and I would swap back in an instant, if it wasn't for the kids.

Just because you personally haven't got the spirit for it, don't assume everyone else shares your inadequacies.

I like having a mooring but I prefer to spend most of the summer away from it, but then again I don't need to commute everyday. I might need to commute into London once a week at the most.

I have alot of respect for cc-ers because it can be hard work and I was glad to get back to my mooring after five months away this summer. Especially once it gets dark early and the solar panels don't charge the batteries up as well as they did in the summer. Of course, now we've been moored for several months I've a rotten case of cabin fever and I want to move again.

If the OP wants a mooring, then the easiest thing to do is to buy a boat on the mooring (we did this), but always alway check it's transferrable and get it in writing before you hand over any money.

I did it because I loved boating and neither wanted nor could afford a mortgage. So yeah, I must be one of those cheapskate/getting away with it types. I find it alot easier to budget because eveything (except the engineer)has to be paid in advance, gas electricity, coal, mooring, license all can be budgeted for. Boating can be done quite cheaply, but only if you are prepared to put some effort in (doing all your own repairs, reblacking, engine servicing, wood collecting and chopping) and live simply.

A top of the range narrowboat with fridge freezer onboard genset, dishwasher, flat screen telly, washing machine etc, will never be as cheap as living in a tiny cabin cruiser with a solid fuel stove - most of us are somewhere in the middle - you pays your money and you takes your choice!

Have you thought about hiring a boat for a few weeks or more (at this time of year), should give you an idea of the pros and cons.

I've done this a few times now at different times of year and loved it... Probably loved it way too much I should think as it's not really the same-battery goes flat and someone comes to sort it etc. I'm not living in cloud cuckoo land I promise! (well, no more than the next chap anyway!) I'm sure it will have much bigger tribulations than I experienced renting not least because I was with my partner, so I'm sure locking the first few times single handed will have it's own special challenge! Heh.

I've done this a few times now at different times of year and loved it... Probably loved it way too much I should think as it's not really the same-battery goes flat and someone comes to sort it etc. I'm not living in cloud cuckoo land I promise! (well, no more than the next chap anyway!) I'm sure it will have much bigger tribulations than I experienced renting not least because I was with my partner, so I'm sure locking the first few times single handed will have it's own special challenge! Heh.

The thinking was if you hire a boat for say a month, you could try the whole ccing process from a hire boat and if you dont like it can then use it as experience and try to find a mooring prior to buying a boat.

Not really.

I moved within the old, stricter, "guidelines" of 10 miles a fortnight, with no return and, found the 10 mile bike ride, back for the car easy enough.

Edited to say: There was a lot less of me, then, of course.

Perhaps the 10 mile bike ride was the reason!

Seriously Mark,

Carl is quite right, doing as you suggested is possible although it will be hard work. Planning and anticipation, improvisation and willingness to compromise are critical. It isn't a cheap option, boats can be shockingly expensive if you're not prepared and what can go wrong will go wrong. It may be better to find a berth in a marina first, you can sometime hire a temporary mooring for a few months, then move on to the cut once you've unravelled the mysteries and vagaries of the boat. Most of the learning curve is then done in a secure environment and then when you feel confident you can move onto the cut.

What does concern me though is your comment "....... but it's the commute I hate." If that is so then I can see why other forum members might doubt your intention to widely cruise the system and hold down a job in Oxford. You must be aware that getting in and out of Oxford at rush-hour is one of the western world's traffic nightmares? It may be that you will start out with the best of intentions, but if the commuting is getting you down (and there will be a lot of it) then the temptation will be to bridge hop and that may break BW's rules. In which case, you may well find your life on the cut to not be so idyllic as it may appear. As I don't possess a TV I can't comment of the rosy-cheeked. starry-eyed contingent but judging by the number of boats that appear for resale after a year or so of ownership, there must be a fair few disappointed people. Do it in easy steps is my advice.

Good luck, we're not really that miserable, we've just seen a lot of people get excited and then get horribly disillusioned. My honest opinion is that it's not for everyone, but until you try, how will you know?

Jill

If you read my opinion impartially you would see that it is non specific to any individual. However if you want to take it personally thats your choice I can only assume I've tweaked a nerve by hitting on a number of home truths.

Uh, I read your post impartially and dismissed it as patronising twaddle, the inferrence that anyone who watches a TV programme only to come away with a life changing eureka moment and pursue that without thought is plainly ridiculous, would you, obviously not so why assume anyone else would? The guy has come on here to ask for advice and put out some feelers after stating that he has some experience of the canals, that in itself is evidence that he's giving it some thought! But still as he's a newbie to the forum he must be an idiot with an idylic view of the world formed from watching too much telly, goes without saying :lol:

Uh, I read your post impartially and dismissed it as patronising twaddle, the inferrence that anyone who watches a TV programme only to come away with a life changing eureka moment and pursue that without thought is plainly ridiculous, would you, obviously not so why assume anyone else would?

Because people do. We have, and im sure many other have met folks who have sold up their home and bought a boat without ever having stepped foot on one or having thought the process through.

It isnt uncommon.

Because people do. We have, and im sure many other have met folks who have sold up their home and bought a boat without ever having stepped foot on one or having thought the process through.

It isnt uncommon.

In fairness on reflection I'm sure you're right, but this guy (I'm assuming it is a guy) is thinking about it.

It isnt uncommon.

But the OP has hired before, done some research and come on here asking questions, before buying a boat.

So he obviously isn't the "people" you're alluding to.

Edited by carlt

It isnt uncommon.

But some people do just that and make a success of it. It might seem barmy to you but it may be a perfectly acceptable risk to others. Besides which, no experience is 100% rosy beyond the honeymoon flush, just that some people give up because the next proposition seems perfectly reasonable to them. Just because someone tried something and found it wasn't for them doesn't make it a disaster in any case.

Shasterian Noble,

Mark,

What no one has mentioned yet is that BW (British Waterways) have 'winter moorings' that you can 'hire' from October to March but you have to book early. :lol:

Facilities are not great and will vary with location, usually canal-side but at least you would have a base for most of the year.

OK - My 2 penneth.

1stly - welcome and I hope you do decide to join the canal community - there are some great people out there on the cut.

We wish we could spend more time out there and will hopefully be doing so soon with the sale of our house.

If you want to make it work you will, regards moving the car - knowing you have it somewhere safe is the hardest thing.

Regards moving - if you have a bike as well, you can do the same as we do - cruise a few hours or a couple of days, then cycle (or even jog if you are fit) back to the car and move it up to somewhere more convenient - the great thing about canals is that they are pretty flat.

Enjoy... now back to the search for a 1/2 dozen reasonably priced batteries to replace our defunct ones!

Uh, I read your post impartially and dismissed it as patronising twaddle, the inferrence that anyone who watches a TV programme only to come away with a life changing eureka moment and pursue that without thought is plainly ridiculous, would you, obviously not so why assume anyone else would? The guy has come on here to ask for advice and put out some feelers after stating that he has some experience of the canals, that in itself is evidence that he's giving it some thought! But still as he's a newbie to the forum he must be an idiot with an idylic view of the world formed from watching too much telly, goes without saying :lol:

Your name gives it away Chieftiff I was a Chief Mechanician RN and we always said a Tiff would fall out with himself in an empty room! None of your interpretations placed on my opinion have any relevance to what was actually written. No assumptions were made. it definately wasn't patronising as I am in complete disagreement with the OP but didn't mention him and yes people do make instant decisions which affect their lives thereafter. Third time today ay Filis!!!

When I cruised around, I would cycle back about 20 miles for my car, then park it another 10 mile ahead of the boat and cycle back to the boat. I always parked on a housing estate, the posher the better. I only did this in the summer and quite enjoyed it, not too sure if I would be so keen in the winter months.

A winter mooring is a good idea though not cheap and somewhat annoying if round the corner from you are a line of ccer's who aren't paying, or moving.

Despite what some may think i'm not against boaters staying put, I remember the good old days of the 70's when you could more where you liked for as long as you liked with no hassle :lol:. But I do think BW are going to try nd crack down on it to force boats onto their expensive marina moorings, and I wouldn't want to more and live on a marina.