Live-aboard but no residential moorings.

Shasterian Noble

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

I'm a complete newbie to the forums though I've seen a number of threads on similar issues but wondered if there was any advice people could give for my particular instance?

I'm needing to stay near Oxford (within a few miles north, or anywhere on the Thames between Oxford and Reading), and I have to get to work on a daily basis. I have a car and I'm fine with cycling so don't mind an hour's ride here and there to move vehicle etc.

Now I don't really have to tell people that there are no residential moorings anywhere near Oxford that have come up in recent weeks and so I was wondering what my options might be? Are there even many places with residential moorings in this area - I would certainly consider a marina if there are any around.

Continuous Cruising sounds fantastic and is the real reason for me getting onto the canals and things in the long run, but with the 14day rules and no-return clauses, this is going to be rather difficult I would imagine whilst I need to stay near work and keep my car?

Lastly, do any others have 9 to 5 jobs that they manage to run alongside being a live-aboard? Is it even possible without ridiculous stress levels!? (I'm not bothered by emptying a loo, stacking firewood etc etc, but it's the commute I hate. Unfortunately it's not the time to be giving up a job though, no matter what it is!

Many thanks for your patience,

Mark

I was a continuous cruiser fo a few years, whilst working full-time.

I kept within the law and, pretty much, within BW's interpretation of the law (If I was forced to stop for more than 14 days I informed BW and it was never a problem.

I was lucky, though, because my job was in Rugby so the distance I could travel, by boat, and still be within an hour's commute of work, was huge.

Being at the end of a canal, rather than a hub, is much trickier, though you would be able to use the grand Union, as well as the Oxford (Braunston being about an hour's drive, to Oxford)

Admit it, you are not looking to CC the canal system, you are looking for a cheap way to live on the canal...

Hmm, interestingly accusatory tone there, but essentially you are correct. I have always loved the canals and rivers of Britain, my parents both do as well and the life-style is something I think I'll find somewhat more wholesome than grinding out rent on a house I can't call my own, no kind of community, and having to share with others whose habits are a little irritating at best.

I intend to cruise whenever I have leave, but no, I can't afford to quit my job and do that full time. I hope to be moving into work which allows me to do far more from my own home anywhere in the country in the near future, but I can't rely on this entirely as it's purely a pipe dream.

Admit it, you are not looking to CC the canal system, you are looking for a cheap way to live on the canal...

Anyone who is willing to commute for an hour could live nearly anywhere on the South Oxford or on the GU between Braunston and Tring.

That's a hell of a cruising range.

I kept within the law and, pretty much, within BW's interpretation of the law (If I was forced to stop for more than 14 days I informed BW and it was never a problem.

I was lucky, though, because my job was in Rugby so the distance I could travel, by boat, and still be within an hour's commute of work, was huge.

Being at the end of a canal, rather than a hub, is much trickier, though you would be able to use the grand Union, as well as the Oxford (Braunston being about an hour's drive, to Oxford)

also you would have the Thames etc which would get you off BW's waters wouldn't it? not that familiar with that river but...

cheers

nigel

That's interesting Carl, thanks.

I'm getting the feeling from looking on other boards, and trawling the net that I may well have to wait until I get the mooring before even considering purchasing the boat. The lack of canals near here is upsetting (was rather different 100 years ago though!) so I though CC'ing may be too constricted as I may not be able to get enough distance between moorings to stay within the law for any length of time.

I'm getting the feeling from looking on other boards, and trawling the net that I may well have to wait until I get the mooring before even considering purchasing the boat. The lack of canals near here is upsetting (was rather different 100 years ago though!) so I though CC'ing may be too constricted as I may not be able to get enough distance between moorings to stay within the law for any length of time.

100 years ago Continuous Cruisers worked on the canal - not off the canal :lol:

what... they filled in all those canals that they dug 200 years ago??

I am getting more and more confused by the number of newbies who join the forum looking for a "cheaper option". The impression I get is that they haven't got the cash to rent a nice warm cozy flat in the middle of the town where they live and walk to work, yet they have the money to purchase a freezing cold boat and suffer all the inconvenience of dodging the system or legitimately CC. Either way its NOT cheap when depreciation, licence, insurance and mooring fees kick in. Add on fuel, maintenance and breakdowns, YES equipment does fail then the picture looks less and less rosy. I blame all these canal based programmes where its summer all year round birds are singing and bees hum and the whole world has a rosy pink glow of warmth for the inspiration of these hopefuls who then just want to go full speed ahead without any thoughts of the bigger picture. Makes my blood boil !!!

I am getting more and more confused by the number of newbies who join the forum looking for a "cheaper option". The impression I get is that they haven't got the cash to rent a nice warm cozy flat in the middle of the town where they live and walk to work, yet they have the money to purchase a freezing cold boat and suffer all the inconvenience of dodging the system or legitimately CC. Either way its NOT cheap when depreciation, licence, insurance and mooring fees kick in. Add on fuel, maintenance and breakdowns, YES equipment does fail then the picture looks less and less rosy. I blame all these canal based programmes where its summer all year round birds are singing and bees hum and the whole world has a rosy pink glow of warmth for the inspiration of these hopefuls who then just want to go full speed ahead without any thoughts of the bigger picture. Makes my blood boil !!!

You know for once (and just this once) I actually agree with you :lol:

You know for once (and just this once) I actually agree with you :lol:

Me too :lol: . They also don't show people getting back to their boat after a long days work to find the batterys almost flat, the fire has gone out so it's freezing, they forgot to empty the toilet at the weekend, no hot water etc etc.. Having said all that, if I wanted to do it I would but be warned BW are cracking down on these antics so it won't be too long before you can't do what you suggest..

BW are cracking down on these antics so it won't be too long before you can't do what you suggest..

What antics?

The OP asked if it was possible to work full time, in Oxford, and continuously cruise.

I suggested a scenario where, if he was prepared to commute an hour's drive then yes, within BW's parameters, it is possible.

He didn't ask where the best bridgeholes, within a couple of miles of Oxford, were, to hide behind.

When I worked in London I had a 2 hour commute on a stinking tube and packed out train but when I was Ccing in the Midlands I had a pleasant drive of up to an hour and sometimes a 2 minute walk.

The boatng and constantly changing back yard more than made up for the travel time.

Anywhere between Oxford and Milton Keynes, on the cut is a commute of up to an hour, or thereabouts, by car.

That sort of cruising distance would more than satisfy BW.

Let's stop judging people and, just occasionally, take their question at face value, rather than instantly accusing them of wanting to break the law.

What antics?

"When I worked in London I had a 2 hour commute on a stinking tube and packed out train but when I was Ccing in the Midlands I had a pleasant drive of up to an hour and sometimes a 2 minute walk.

The boatng and constantly changing back yard more than made up for the travel time.

Anywhere between Oxford and Milton Keynes, on the cut is a commute of up to an hour, or thereabouts, by car."

Yeah Carl, but didn't you find the constant need to have to pick up and leave a car at different places a mite tiresome? That's the thing I always disliked.

Edited by johnthebridge

What antics?

The OP asked if it was possible to work full time, in Oxford, and continuously cruise.

I suggested a scenario where, if he was prepared to commute an hour's drive then yes, within BW's parameters, it is possible.

He didn't ask where the best bridgeholes, within a couple of miles of Oxford, were, to hide behind.

When I worked in London I had a 2 hour commute on a stinking tube and packed out train but when I was Ccing in the Midlands I had a pleasant drive of up to an hour and sometimes a 2 minute walk.

Anywhere between Oxford and Milton Keynes, on the cut is a commute of up to an hour, or thereabouts, by car.

That sort of cruising distance would more than satisfy BW.

Let's stop judging people and, just occasionally, take their question at face value, rather than instantly accusing them of wanting to break the law.

Bravo Carl.....could you be at the Bridgewater banter this weekend so I can shake your hand?

The only thing I don't get about CC'ing with a car is what do you do with the car, get a bus back to fetch it, and then find a side street to park it?

(sorry! johnthebridge beat me to it)

Edited by Chagall

I neither expect nor want the rosy picture you seem to hate so much all of the time. I'm not even sure why you chose this thread to vent like that. I've lived in more difficult circumstances and you are in no position to comment on my motives. It might make your blood boil but that's no reason to jump to prejudicial conclusions. I find your inferred accusations about dodging the system etc pretty offensive. I will live within the law and pay whatever is right and proper.

Having said that, I appreciate your concerns and take your point but please don't patronise me or immediately assume that because i'm new to this forum that I haven't had anything to do with boating in the past. Finance is only a tiny part of my reasoning, and no, I will not be like some who claim it has nothing to do with things. It's certainly not number one on the list though!

If I may be a little presumptuous myself I'd say there are a few (thankfully only a few) who enjoy their lifestyle so much that they are resentful of anyone new sharing it.

What antics?

Do you have to pretend that you don't know. People set off with intentions of cruising along way to and fro to stave off BW but all too often it soon becomes just a short hop.

Yes I do think that BW will soon find a way to enforce ccer's effectively.

We could answer his question honestly and say, NO it isn't possible within BW's guidlines, whether you accept them as law or not..

Lastly, do any others have 9 to 5 jobs that they manage to run alongside being a live-aboard? Is it even possible without ridiculous stress levels!? (I'm not bothered by emptying a loo, stacking firewood etc etc, but it's the commute I hate. Unfortunately it's not the time to be giving up a job though, no matter what it is!

Many thanks for your patience,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes I attempt the 'work life balance' of living aboard, continously cruising as wide an arc as possible around London and working a 9-5 job. Actually, I wish my work hours were contained to 9-5, it'd make my life much easier.

It is 100% doable, 100% enjoyable, 100% extremely frustrating, definitely cheaper than living in a box in the centre of the City but seriously more expensive than you initially bargain for. Everything that can go wrong, will go wrong and you more often than not find yourself dressed incorrectly for whatever you are doing; be that business meeting or emptying the loo :lol:

To avoid the stress of 'everything is going wrong', I live as simply as possible so if my engine fails (and it does) and my battery flattens, it doesn't feel too much like the end of the world for a week until I can get to the engine in the daylight hours etc.

Other things to consider? I need a lot more wardrobe/clothes storage than the average boater because I need to look halfway human at the office and have patchy access to laundrette and laundry facilities. Many of the old laundry haunts are closing.

My weekends are busier with chores. If I don't sort the boat out on Saturday/Sunday I may be facing a very uncomfortable wee, and I see less of my friends although my friends become invaluable on some weekend moves as they make excellent lock monkies.

Hope that helps. Don't be put off by the pretty harsh/downright rude responses you may gather in your wake while you explore your options. I like to put it down to a combination of jealousy and short sightedness.

if you have a car and are willing to commute then from oxford you have the Thames, the oxford canal the grand union, Kennet and Avon.

At a push you could even include the River Wey (guildford to oxford is just over 60 miles).

So I'd say that there is plenty of opportunity to CC if the OP so wishes and keep within the guidelines of BW.

It wouldn't be easy, would be a challenge, and it would be pretty taxing (especially in the winter months).

If it's the commute you hate, then you'll be looking at commuting if you are planning on CCing.

We could answer his question honestly and say, NO it isn't possible within BW's guidlines, whether you accept them as law or not..

It is possible, if the OP is prepared to commute.

If someone were to come on and ask "Which is the best chandlers?" and the automatic response is "Oh you're just asking which one has no CCTV so you can go shoplifting" there'd be plenty more outraged.

If the OP wants to use all the waterways, within an hour's commute then he will be using a significant part of the system, meeting BW's guidelines and certainly within the law.

If he doesn't want to commute, then he needs to get a mooring.