Live-aboard but no residential moorings.

Shasterian Noble

Featured Posts

Depends how lazy I'm feeling at the time I guess.

If you have £35k to pay for such a spot, then BW would be delighted to take it, and might even spend it on creating more such spaces for the benefit of those with more money than sense.

I don't. but it did take me five months to get from Tottenham to Knottingley and back. If we find a nice spot, 24 hours isn't enough.

And I ask the same question again.

If you find a "nice spot", is it fair that you should take more than your fair share of the opportunities to use that spot, such that a significant number of other boaters can't use that spot at all.

I don't. but it did take me five months to get from Tottenham to Knottingley and back. If we find a nice spot, 24 hours isn't enough.

I've always found that the "nice spots" have no restrictions other than the ones set by legislation.

It is the "convenient spots" that are less than 14 days and those are the ones I've avoided.

Edited by carlt

And I ask the same question again.

If you find a "nice spot", is it fair that you should take more than your fair share of the opportunities to use that spot, such that a significant number of other boaters can't use that spot at all.

I hate 'visitor moorings' so I don't use them for long stays, they aren't nice spots to me. I don't overstay anywhere, so what's your point?

I've always found that the "nice spots" have no restrictions other than the ones set by legislation.

It is the "convenient spots" that are less than 14 days and those are the ones I've avoided.

This is pretty much how we boat. Visitor moorings are for visiting the supermarket and then getting the hell out. We stayed overnight on only 1 visitor mooring on the Shroppie (AFAICR). Nice moorings but I felt like I was at a caravan club site. Not my cup of tea.

[hermit mode]The rest of the time we moored right away from everyone else. [/hermit mode]

Edited by Lady Muck

That sums it up for me too. I'd much rather go bush than have to jam into conveniently located Visitor Moorings but hey ho, I have to earn my £35k to pay for Dave's sliding scale of mooring fees.

If you have £35k to pay for such a spot, then BW would be delighted to take it, and might even spend it on creating more such spaces for the benefit of those with more money than sense.

I'd rather they spent it on bonuses for the fat cats, if we're getting a say on how my contribution is spent. Thanks

That sums it up for me too. I'd much rather go bush than have to jam into conveniently located Visitor Moorings but hey ho, I have to earn my £35k to pay for Dave's sliding scale of mooring fees.

I'd rather they spent it on bonuses for the fat cats, if we're getting a say on how my contribution is spent. Thanks

[Gok Wan mode] Jimmy Choos for Sally Ash [/Gok Wan mode] puuurlease!

oh and several hundred yards of orange netting and some bollards

Edited by Lady Muck

You dont always have that option though. On rivers mooring is often only allowed on recognised visitor mooings. BW/EA dont always own the adjacent land.

You dont always have that option though. On rivers mooring is often only allowed on recognised visitor mooings. BW/EA dont always own the adjacent land.

TBF to Leonie, doesn't really apply in our neck of the woods. It does near my mums though - Selby canal and Aire and Calder - you have to moor on visitor moorings, but there didn't seem to be any liveaboards, anyway.

So if you have a permanent mooring somewhere - does the 14 day rule not apply?

So get a 'cheap' mooring somewhere hateful then stay wherever you like for however long?

Does anyone have experience of the Basingstoke Canal? Supposedly it is only 72 hours in one place on the whole stretch...

Does anyone have experience of the Basingstoke Canal? Supposedly it is only 72 hours in one place on the whole stretch...

Yes. It's not a case of how many hours/days you can stay, it's a case how many months before you can get away again! Also not navigable single handed (in my opinion).

TBF to Leonie, doesn't really apply in our neck of the woods. It does near my mums though - Selby canal and Aire and Calder - you have to moor on visitor moorings, but there didn't seem to be any liveaboards, anyway.

There are plenty of liveaboards in the area, they just have moorings.

Having said that the waterways here are much quieter and finding a mooring even in nice/popular areas is never a problem.

Ah shame.

Not really, you can often have the visitor moorings to yourself at certain times of the year :lol:

it's a case how many months before you can get away again

That would be fine for me - I would like to get up to somewhere close to Fleet and stay there for a long while... got to get round there from the K&A first, which brings me to another question of what do I need to go out on the Thames....

Also does the Basingstoke really require you to pay them a licence fee, when you have a BW licence already?

So.....

Six pages since i looked this morning and you're all saying (every single poster);

"What I do is fine, what you (want to) do is wrong"

Get real.

The canal is used in many many different ways, it always has and it always will be.

As long as that is within the law no-one has the right to say different.

Get used to it.

So.....

Six pages since i looked this morning and you're all saying (every single poster);

Get real.

The canal is used in many many different ways, it always has and it always will be.

Get used to it.

How is this posting different to "What I do is fine, what you (want to) do is wrong" ?

Richard

In Brum..

Not so. There are miles of unregulated mooring, miles and miles and miles and miles

How is this posting different to "What I do is fine, what you (want to) do is wrong" ?

Richard

I said

"The canal is used in many many different ways, it always has and it always will be."

Read it again.

So.....

Get real.

Get used to it.

You obviously have not read all of the posts then. There are some very valid points put across from both sides of the debate.