CANALS ON COUNTRYFILE

dor

Featured Posts

As someone quick to criticise BW and the fuckwits that occupy its upper echelons, I would like to say that the two Devizes lock keepers Bob and Alan are 2 of the the nicest possible people and I have been much helped by both of them over the years.

Bob looked like he had scrubbed up well to be on telly but Alan would never admit to anything like that.

Great program, it was wonderful seeing Brian Greives on his boat Emily Bronte.

:lol:

As someone quick to criticise BW and the fuckwits that occupy its upper echelons, I would like to say that the two Devizes lock keepers Bob and Alan are 2 of the the nicest possible people and I have been much helped by both of them over the years.

Bob looked like he had scrubbed up well to be on telly but Alan would never admit to anything like that.

Bob Preston is one of the most helpfull people I have ever met. Deserves an OBE

Bob Preston is one of the most helpfull people I have ever met. Deserves an OBE

I thought his first boat was called "Emily" and he named his forge "Bronte"? Bit stuck if he gets a third boat, unless he calls it "Miss" and puts it in front of the other two. If he'd have called his first boat "Isambard", he'd have had more scope.

I thought his first boat was called "Emily" and he named his forge "Bronte"? Bit stuck if he gets a third boat, unless he calls it "Miss" and puts it in front of the other two. If he'd have called his first boat "Isambard", he'd have had more scope.

Indeed I have had to pick him up in the interest of properly written English that looked at from the starboard side the name on the push tug should be written " Bronte,"

For some reason he doesn't listen to me.

The two boats are chained together and the combined length is just over 70ft.

He unchains them if he gets to a short lock.

If he did ever get rid of them and gets 3 smaller boats he could always call them Nine Of Hearts.

As soon as there's a narrow boat on TV everyone's glued to their screens and shouting about it (yes I watched Countryfile too).

Anyone would think we all learned something about boats and canals from the rather superficial programme that we never knew before :lol:

Mind you, I'm a regular Radio 4 listener and I do sometimes wonder why gardeners have such a monopoly of the BBC air waves on hobbies and pastimes? Why not mix it up a bit - Angler's Question Time, Boater's Question Time, etc?

Edit: Who would you have on the Boater's Question Time panel? :lol:

Edited by blackrose

As soon as there's a narrow boat on TV everyone's glued to their screens and shouting about it (yes I watched Countryfile too).

Anyone would think we all learned something about boats and canals from the rather superficial programme that we never knew before :lol:

Same as I like to read books set in towns i know well, it is a funny trait and quite atavistic, a little bit of our souls captured in the magic box, seeing ourselves as others (superficially) see us.

Mind you, I'm a regular Radio 4 listener and I do sometimes wonder why gardeners have such a monopoly of the BBC air waves on hobbies and pastimes? Why not mix it up a bit - Angler's Question Time, Boater's Question Time, etc?

Steve Heywood, Phil Speight, Gibbo?

Richard

I learned something about narrowboats from a rather superficial article in the Mail on Sunday, that a canal narrow boat is only 8ft wide.

It doesn't matter.

After a full half hour program was monopolised by a vicious "pumpout via cassette" debate, I really cannot see it returning the next week to tackle a less controversial question about 240 volt earthing and/or galvanic isolators......

I learned something about narrowboats from a rather superficial article in the Mail on Sunday, that a canal narrow boat is only 8ft wide.

That would be the one currently for sale on e-Bay ?

Never had one - and find when I DO see one (my parents have it and love it to an extent that it seems to be always on) I am very underwhelmed.

Wrigglefingers - are you also one of the without brigade??!!

I do get SO fed up when the TV licence people keep sending me letters asking why I haven't got a licence!

Yep, we didn't have one when I was a child, but my Dad weakened when West Ham made the Cup final in the seventies. We watched the Cup Final and it was put away in a cupboard for fear of needing to be dusted. It came out once a year for the Queen (for my Grandma) at which point the entire family (except Grandma) took the piss relentlessly. I did (some twenty-five years) later buy one, but I watched it about once in a blue moon and so gave it to a friend to complete her 'TV in every room' collection after I lost it under a heap of stuff. Never missed it but still have a licence for for some bizarre reason (ie too bloody lazy to cancel it) but I do listen to Radio 3, 4, 5 and Radcliffe and Maconie relentlessly so at least I'm contributing in a roundabout way. I wouldn't know whether there's anything worth watching although I suspect that sometimes there might be....

Brian is a god amongst men, he rewelded my rudder and then remounted it in the middle of the marina the day his holiday should have started and the day before mine did! And for not enough money either in my view.

Edited by wrigglefingers