2 cylinder semi diesel bolinder

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?1...glas+cheltenham

See posts#150-#161 for a bit more Douglas info..

My Wife owns an Explorer!

23-01-2007190505.jpg

This is my Douglas collecting it as a non runner from Melton Mowbray.

the3.jpg

And with others in the family fleet.

When it comes to books "Mud, men and Machines" is also very good but Maurice's third book "Characters of wood, Wesley and Wurltzer", never really did it for me.

Edited by antarmike

Mike,

Ever fancied a nice little run-about saloon or estate with not too many miles on the clock ?

You might find you save quite a bit on fuel, and cause less havoc getting in and out of the local One-Stop car park!

Bro.

Mike,

Ever fancied a nice little run-about saloon or estate with not too many miles on the clock ?

You might find you save quite a bit on fuel, and cause less havoc getting in and out of the local One-Stop car park!

Bro.

I have the Eager Beaver as my practical run around...

belvoir2008054-1.jpg

For more see,

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?1...er-record-Cards

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7752

"Private Benjamin" very good. Can I come and play at your place please? :lol:

We have enough to to drive around a bit, but you'll have to ask the wife about Benjamin, She is definitely her toy!

There was a blow lamp - it's a hot bulb engine, and that is the smaller gas cyclinder behind the engine. Could it have been this?

The large cyclinder was obviously compressed air (I hope that's all it was) for starting.

I understand Lister SR's can run away, thanks to desiel pipes inside the housing leaking, and causing the oil in the sump to thin and then blow past the rings. Turning off the fuel does nothing, its running on the sump oil like this one. Blocking, completely, the air or holding a valve open so that compression doesn't happen is about the only to stop these things when they get like that!

Mike

Lister SR2 can run away quite badly. It happened to me on my first narrow boat. Best thing is the decompressors if they are still there, which they were.

I'd be tempted to keep a big CO2 fire extinguisher around if running a silly engine maybe that'd stop the thing?

The design on the Lister SR (and other similar models) is good in that fuel injection and supply equipment is protected from the weather but it also means that visual inspection for leaks is not possible and you have to keep a close eye on lubricating oil levels and viscosity.

• 4 months later...

A couple of pics I uploaded ages ago but forgot to post showing the fuel pump mechanism.

I have also found a load more slides of the 2 cylinder that started this thread. Problem is that I have discovered my slide scanner does not work with Windows 7. Time to fire up the old XP machine.

RIMG0735.jpg

RIMG0736.jpg

Edited by Speedwheel

Reverting back to the original theme, I have no idea whether this engine, which was certainly photographed at the Black Country Museum in 1975 or 76 is the one at Ellesmere Port or not. If it is it must have been transferred to Stoke Bruerne, as the EP one was indeed taken from Stoke Bruerne, but I think there may have been two separate pump engines, one from Knowle and one from Stoke Bruerne.

The one in this picture is the Knowle pump engine, which ran for the last time in service during 1975 after 15 years of inactivity. BWs house magazine, 'Waterways News', says the engine came second hand from a fishing boat. It had a small petrol driven compressor to provide the air start. To get it from Knowle to the museum the Bolinder was loaded into a butty/day boat and towed there by Don Gray's 'Pensax', also fitted with a 15hp Bolinder. The article in Waterways News says that the last running was filmed for posterity, but doesn't say who by. I saw it running once in 74 or 75, but have no recollection if it was this last running or not.

unfortunately I do not have the date of this article, only a cutting in my scrap book which has just surfaced.

The above is nearly correct, the engine was removed from Knowle by Myself my father (Don Gray)and some members of the BCM canal panel, most of the engine was then loaded into a day boat loaned by Malcom Braine then towed via a rally at Ocher Hill to (cannot remember where) it was then transferred piecemeal to my garage in Kingswinford West Mids where my brother and myself used copious amounts of paint stripper to remove the orange paint and its sub layers.Before repainting and rebuilding. It then went to the BCM on display (on loan from BW) without all the brass bits. It was never run at the museum because we declined to make it operational without something to control it against at start up. BW later decided that they wanted it back to install at Stoke Bruerne as a static exhibit, The pumps etc were then reunited with the engine,from there it went to Ellesmere Port and was put back into operation and I believe is still run on occasions, my last visit was to deliver some of the spares which were still in my possession. It was started especially for me on that occasion

I seem to remember that there was some filming done before we removed it, but dont know by whom. I am sure that it was featured on the local news at the time, I have some photographs of my own somewhere. I can claim to be the last person to run it at Knowle. On the day we went to remove it there was a good frost on the ground and the engine was rather cold so we decided to warm it up first.

It was removed in 1975 or 76. I had only just got married and acquired a house of my own, so couldn't have been any earlier

From memory the reverse mechanism was not fitted and if it started in the wrong direction for the pump you had to hold the peckers off and manually inject the fuel on one cylinder at the correct time to reverse it, somewhat hit and miss (pun intended)

Having been and looked again at the earlier photos I can see that the reversing mechanism is missing in its entirety,

Reversing on multi cylinder engines was I believe done on on cylinder, although depending on crank offset it is possible to do it on two cylinders at a time!

Engine speed was controlled by one speed control which was fitted with two springs each one applying pressure to the individual pump peckers. as each pistons are 180 deg apart the springs oscillate together i.e one at the end of its stroke the other at the start of its stroke

The location of the engine in an earlier post I think was either at SB before it left to go to Ellsmere , or when it arrived at Ellsmere

Memory says that the flywheel was on at the BCM but I think was not on while on display at SB. If it was at the BCM then the photo could only have been taken on the one of two days at an early open weekend as the pumps were fitted only for the weekend

Been and looked again at photo, defiantly post BCM one of the injector pipes is missing, it would have been on at BCM

many happy memories

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know if any of these still exist?

Would love one in a boat though it would be totally OTT.

This one was a pump engine (from the BCN I think, but could be wrong)

bol.jpg

A bit bored of jumping inm and out of Emu's engine 'ole at the moment so took time out.

If you really want a challange I have a twin cylinder monoblock semi diesel eBolinder complete with gearbox.

Got it firing in the yard about 10 years ago with Matts on the lamp and Drew on the pin.

I am planning to put it in Antartic as a lot lighter then the 9 hp currently in situ.

But I think it's way down the list at the moment.

PS Emu is back to life !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww1JhgM48vw

A bit bored of jumping inm and out of Emu's engine 'ole at the moment so took time out.

If you really want a challange I have a twin cylinder monoblock semi diesel eBolinder complete with gearbox.

Got it firing in the yard about 10 years ago with Matts on the lamp and Drew on the pin.

I am planning to put it in Antartic as a lot lighter then the 9 hp currently in situ.

But I think it's way down the list at the moment.

PS Emu is back to life !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww1JhgM48vw

Thanks Malcolm.

Good to see Emu running. Hopefully Michael will come up North once it is ready.

Those little twin cylinders look interesting. I have seem few for sale on dutch/swedish auction sites and been tempted to bid, but never actually played with one. I assume it has a gearbox?

Just seen this picture that Tim has posted here. http://timlewis.smugmug.com/Boats/Ellesmer...966847291_gPYRv

Hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

bolindertwin.jpg

Edited by Speedwheel

The above is nearly correct, the engine was removed from Knowle by Myself my father (Don Gray)and some members of the BCM canal panel, most of the engine was then loaded into a day boat loaned by Malcom Braine then towed via a rally at Ocher Hill to (cannot remember where) it was then transferred piecemeal to my garage in Kingswinford West Mids where my brother and myself used copious amounts of paint stripper to remove the orange paint and its sub layers.Before repainting and rebuilding. It then went to the BCM on display (on loan from BW) without all the brass bits. It was never run at the museum because we declined to make it operational without something to control it against at start up. BW later decided that they wanted it back to install at Stoke Bruerne as a static exhibit, The pumps etc were then reunited with the engine,from there it went to Ellesmere Port and was put back into operation and I believe is still run on occasions, my last visit was to deliver some of the spares which were still in my possession. It was started especially for me on that occasion

I seem to remember that there was some filming done before we removed it, but dont know by whom. I am sure that it was featured on the local news at the time, I have some photographs of my own somewhere. I can claim to be the last person to run it at Knowle. On the day we went to remove it there was a good frost on the ground and the engine was rather cold so we decided to warm it up first.

It was removed in 1975 or 76. I had only just got married and acquired a house of my own, so couldn't have been any earlier

From memory the reverse mechanism was not fitted and if it started in the wrong direction for the pump you had to hold the peckers off and manually inject the fuel on one cylinder at the correct time to reverse it, somewhat hit and miss (pun intended)

Having been and looked again at the earlier photos I can see that the reversing mechanism is missing in its entirety,

Reversing on multi cylinder engines was I believe done on on cylinder, although depending on crank offset it is possible to do it on two cylinders at a time!

Engine speed was controlled by one speed control which was fitted with two springs each one applying pressure to the individual pump peckers. as each pistons are 180 deg apart the springs oscillate together i.e one at the end of its stroke the other at the start of its stroke

The location of the engine in an earlier post I think was either at SB before it left to go to Ellsmere , or when it arrived at Ellsmere

Memory says that the flywheel was on at the BCM but I think was not on while on display at SB. If it was at the BCM then the photo could only have been taken on the one of two days at an early open weekend as the pumps were fitted only for the weekend

Been and looked again at photo, defiantly post BCM one of the injector pipes is missing, it would have been on at BCM

many happy memories

Steve

So if I read this right the engine at the BCLM, Stoke and the Port are one and the same. But can we substantiate the claim that it originally came out of the London-level gravel tug Panama before becoming a pumping engine?

Paul

He also posted this:-

966847291_gPYRv-M.jpg

which is the engine which 'should' be in my little tug :lol:

Another Tim

I was going to post that too but forgot. Would look nice in Kennet.

Maybe you could persuade Pochins to lend it to you one long/permanent loan.

Edit: Another Tim, is that the actual one or a similar one - scrap that, I remember you saying it was from their twin engined motor yacht.

Edited by Speedwheel

I was going to post that too but forgot. Would look nice in Kennet.

Maybe you could persuade Pochins to lend it to you one long/permanent loan.

Edit: Another Tim, is that the actual one or a similar one - scrap that, I remember you saying it was from their twin engined motor yacht.

No idea what happened to the actual engine, replaced some years ago with a 4-cyl Crossley and quite recently with the current Kelvin

Here's how it should be:-

P1000443.jpg

Tim

With regards to the twin cylinders . That is 2 x 15 (20) hps with a common crankshaft as in the picture posted above.

I can recall John Hemlyrick telling me about the Sabeys tug that used to tow a train of barges from Paddington to Slough Arm with domestic rubbish.

The tug had a 2 cylinder Bolinder and with the engine 'ole doors open He said the front cylingder would cool off which made the rear cylinder work harder and overheat to compensate.

Said it was the worst engine he had ever encountered and he was forever in the engine 'ole varying the cooling water between the cylinders.

With regards to the twin cylinders . That is 2 x 15 (20) hps with a common crankshaft as in the picture posted above.

I can recall John Hemlyrick telling me about the Sabeys tug that used to tow a train of barges from Paddington to Slough Arm with domestic rubbish.

The tug had a 2 cylinder Bolinder and with the engine 'ole doors open He said the front cylingder would cool off which made the rear cylinder work harder and overheat to compensate.

Said it was the worst engine he had ever encountered and he was forever in the engine 'ole varying the cooling water between the cylinders.

Interesting that Malcolm. I can't think why the front or either cylinder would cool off particularly. Only if the sparyer was not so good on one cylinder perhaps? If you could seperate the rod linking the butterfly flap in the transfer port (heater) you could get on to run a bit hotter that way?

John

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Resurecting an old topic I know, but was it ever confirmed if there was a link between this engine and Wm. Boyer's tug PANAMA?

Veering off topic a little.... Maybe this should be a Paul H DM, but I'll put it out to all....

Regards PANAMA being seen sunk at Harefield Marina in the 1970's, was there "evidence" to prove it was PANAMA (and not another boat) or was its identification passed down information etc? What was the story about the engine being lifted?

I'm guessing PANAMA was wooden (Boyer had boats of all materials) although it would've been very old if dumped there in the 1950's? Does anyone remember its construction?

..... Just interested.......

Resurecting an old topic I know, but was it ever confirmed if there was a link between this engine and Wm. Boyer's tug PANAMA?

Veering off topic a little.... Maybe this should be a Paul H DM, but I'll put it out to all....

Regards PANAMA being seen sunk at Harefield Marina in the 1970's, was there "evidence" to prove it was PANAMA (and not another boat) or was its identification passed down information etc? What was the story about the engine being lifted?

I'm guessing PANAMA was wooden (Boyer had boats of all materials) although it would've been very old if dumped there in the 1950's? Does anyone remember its construction?

..... Just interested.......

Although this does not fully answer your question PANAMA is listed under James Pollock, and Sons Co. Ltd. 'ship number' 598 - 60'0 x 8'0 x 5'0 - 40 b.h.p. 2 cylinder Bolinder.'ship number' 598 is dated 1913 and coincides comfortably with the health registration for PANAMA as Uxbridge 491 on 30 June 1914. The problem with many of the James Pollock, and Sons Co. Ltd. 'ship numbers' is there is no difference in sequence between a full boat construction and an engine supply / fitting.

Yes, I was wondering that as I typed, and as a comparison was thinking of the photo of Odell's Steam tug Powerful at Uxbridge Dock (Steamers Historical) was deep, but not that deep! The Bantam I steered for a bit was 3'10" draft from memory (& that had its interesting moments!) I'd guess Panama would've been similar... Many thanks for clarifying.