And the temperature outside is ...........

wirren

Featured Posts

Nice picture Ange.

We are now the proud owners officially of

Lily Maud. But, because both her current mooring and her intended Marina are both blocks of ice, and she also had an expensive 2 part epoxy hull blacking job, I will not be moving her until ice melts.

So please all pray for a heat wave on Boxing Day so we can actually take her for a cruise!1

K

Is that Barry Green's old boat?

Sue

I've gotta say it does freak me out listening to the creaking outside! Hubby's gone to bed now and I'm winding down myself with a lot of background noise - I prefer the ducks drilling on the hull any day of the week. Icing up is decidedly spooky.

Night folks x

The lady Wrigglefingers of this forum were supposed to be moving a boat from the Staffs and Worcs up to dadford`s Wharf today - we chose not to set off. The prospect of slicing any fibreglass boats we may pass en route rather put us off. I `ll tell you what she said to me in the woodshed the other day..............

Phil

Hello Philip,

Point 1 - I ain't no lady.

Point 2 - that was for select ears only (but they've all heard it before anyway.... )

Sorry I missed drinkies on Monday; maybe after the icestorm is over perhaps?

Love, Shepx

Took these yesterday morning, above Barrowford Locks on the L&L:

canal.jpg

section8.jpg

(most of them sunken boats have been there since last year!!!)

What a shame about those sunken boats, they'd be cracking starter boats for someone; looks like two are Norman 20s, and when you think they only made about 200 odd Norman 20s, the loss of two in one go is very sad.

My old Norman 20 was the best, most versatile boat I ever had and was definately the one that gave me the most fun; was a big mistake when I went bigger.

What a shame about those sunken boats, they'd be cracking starter boats for someone; looks like two are Norman 20s, and when you think they only made about 200 odd Norman 20s, the loss of two in one go is very sad.

My old Norman 20 was the best, most versatile boat I ever had and was definately the one that gave me the most fun; was a big mistake when I went bigger.

They were there when we passed in August - not sure why they haven't been removed - cost I suppose.

Gosh, a photo from the infamous Tom Lewis. Second cousin eh? Seems to have got the hang of this photography lark :-) All we have here in ActonBridge (T&M) is laminated ice - looks quite scruffy.

Re: Thames pack ice at Brentford post:

Interesting questions, and only a fool would answer in the negative, unless referring to the coming few weeks.

The cold spells of those years have not as yet been repeated, and they were the last remnants of the last Little Ice Age of around a Century before. Since then we have gradually been coming out of a cold period with occasional dips back into, and advanced into a warmer period. Leaving aside mankind's alleged influence (and you have to if you accept that warm tropical seas once washed over Britain), we are currently entering another cold period, at least for the next two decades. Whether we see such pictures in our lifetime may be unlikely, but for future generations possible. Similarly, we could at some time in the future experience warm periods like the Romans knew, and those intrepid explorers the Vikings, who first named a big Island whereupon they settled and farmed successfully for hundreds of years. Today we know that Island for it's inhospitable cold and layers of frozen ice - Greenland - so named by the Vikings for its appearance.

I think you will find the photograph in the Telegraph of Deer was by a Robbie Higgins (readers pictures). The composition has much to be desired. It is greatly spoiled by the vertical lines of the tree immediately behind the Stag.

Ice creaking spooky! Imagine how the crew of the Erebus and the Terror felt!! They could have done with one of THESE.

Hearing an Ice breaker coming along the cut is quite something. The noises are incredible long before the boat appears.

Snowdrop0127sicklehidingLarge.jpg

Snowdrop

Derek

I think they might all be Norman boats, the rearmost one still has a cover over the aft (amazingly!!!), and even has a portable telly still inside, which looked sound, but it was on the other side of the boat, no chance of salvage there!!! :lol:

It is sad to see that BW have left hose boats to rot, the two at the front have been there well over a year (as seen in two of my videos here:

and here
), as you say they would make perfect starter boats if BW just auctioned them off after a set impound time, but nope, they just leave them there until it's economically unsound to even attempt to restore them, and just scrap them. It's sad to think that once upon a time, they were someone's pride and joy... :lol:

If you're quick, the rear one is probably still salvageable, cos it's not been there long... :lol:

Well we set off from Skipton yesterday for Bingley. Everything looked fine until we reached Bradley. The one minute no ice, next minute big sheets of the stuff. We had to abandon the cruise in the end. The winding hole was solid which made for an interesting 30 m inutes...While we were stuck in the middle a guy walks past with his puppy having just been in the canal to save it from drowning! Spent the night back on the mooring disapoint

icebreaker.jpg

Roll on summer!

Phil

Edited by floatingphil

Epic parking or does the car really want to be a boat :lol:

I have a Matiz, great little motor which can go anywhere. It drives well in the ice/snow too although not tried it on a frozen canal yet :lol:

Will even fit in the shopping trolley parking area at Tesco/Sainsburys :lol:

hi

the trent and mersey at kings bromley wharf near lichfield was one inch thick 26dec9. one boat has gone thru yesterday. I havent checked today but there was another frost last night (27 to 28dec9) and the marina was more iced up. so it was more than 25mm. I'm not able to break more than 16 mm easily so I gave up on the xmas trip- the boat is 21 tonnes with a 36hp lister. no-one was out trying to make a passage in the thick ice - it was like trying to make way with two bricks in a cement mixer - it wasn't worth the danger of doing damage to your propellor

please make an ice report on your area.

ken

Hearing an Ice breaker coming along the cut is quite something. The noises are incredible long before the boat appears.

Reduced: 94% of original size [ 540 x 639 ] - Click to view full image

Snowdrop

Derek

hi Derek, spotted snowdrop moored opposite you the other day, but what is the statue on the butty behind????????

Looks like it's freezing over again tonight.....