whats your worst job you have to do onboard

MrCJ

Featured Posts

Worst Jobs:

Cleaning out 150 ltrs of water from the diesel tanks on Baldock when we first brought her, followed by having to clean the engine room due to the previous owner having run the engine with a blowing exhaust for xxxx years !

Closely followed by the now removed pump out tank which had not been emptied for xx years !!

ahh deep joy

Chris

Worst Jobs:

Cleaning out 150 ltrs of water from the diesel tanks on Baldock when we first brought her, followed by having to clean the engine room due to the previous owner having run the engine with a blowing exhaust for xxxx years !

Closely followed by the now removed pump out tank which had not been emptied for xx years !!

ahh deep joy

Chris

How did you get that tank out in the end?

Richard

How did you get that tank out in the end?

Richard

pumped out through "normal" exit, filled with water boat rocked and pumped out again x 3 !

drop through bog removed , large access hole cut into top of the tank, pump out vacuum @ yard used to "hoover" out remainder

tags cut off floor then a sheet of ply marineflexed to the top to seal the lid and with all holes blocked two of us lifted it up and carried it out of the boat with 1/4" to spare at the door frame !

Old tank loaded into van and off to the local tip !..pay the man some money and GTFOOI !

Chris

I spent Saturday inside our water tank doing the second coat - and thank goodness it's done. My shoulders and upper arms are still complaining :lol: I'd rather do that weekly than have to plunge my arm down the weedhatch. It's the not knowing that gets to me - once I know it's carrier bags and fabric I don't mind it a jot, but I have the fear of plunging my fingers into something nasty down there...

David Schweizer you have just multiplied my fear by a million! :lol:

I don't suppose it will help to explain that the dog was tied inside a sack (which was torn open by the prop), and had clearly been in the water for several weeks. Fortunately for us we were near a road, and a phone call to the RSCA meant it was taken away.

Worst Jobs:

ahh deep joy

Chris

I removed the pump out tank on our boat two years ago after sitting there unused for more than five years, and i did not find it at all unpleasant. It was a bit smelly at first but a good dousing of disinfectant cured that for long enough, whilst I manhandled it out of the boat and into the back of the car. I did seal off all the holes before transporting it to the local tip.

A friend of mine has been quoted £500 (labour only) for his to be removed and to replace it and plumb in a new tank and toilet, but the boatyard are being very reluctant to get on with the job. I cannot imagine it taking more than a day, and would offer to do the job for half the price if I was not still recovering from an operation.

pumped out through "normal" exit, filled with water boat rocked and pumped out again x 3 !

drop through bog removed , large access hole cut into top of the tank, pump out vacuum @ yard used to "hoover" out remainder

tags cut off floor then a sheet of ply marineflexed to the top to seal the lid and with all holes blocked two of us lifted it up and carried it out of the boat with 1/4" to spare at the door frame !

Old tank loaded into van and off to the local tip !..pay the man some money and GTFOOI !

Chris

Managed to get away without cutting it up then.

Richard

Managed to get away without cutting it up then.

Richard

yes

unlike the knackered plastic water tank which they had fitted by cutting the top off a stainless steel water tank :lol:

the plastic one was cut into 3 pieces to remove, the ss one still awaits cutting out

C

yes

unlike the knackered plastic water tank which they had fitted by cutting the top off a stainless steel water tank :lol:

the plastic one was cut into 3 pieces to remove, the ss one still awaits cutting out

C

Ahhh, it's the stainless one you were asking about before IIRC.

Richard

Was Baldock owned by Claytons? I mean, all those tanks about the place...

Ahhh, it's the stainless one you were asking about before IIRC.

Richard

Was Baldock owned by Claytons? I mean, all those tanks about the place...

No ! just a sucession of owners each with their own ideas and not removing anything !! we have now removed 5 tanks and one to go

the s/s one still needs to be removed but that priority has been moved on the list !

C

Edited by Baldock

Once you've fitted out a boat while living on board throughout the process everything else seems ok.

In terms of routine jobs I'm dreading having to repaint the watertank.

It does save on the housework though :lol:

Sue who also helped fit out a boat whilst living on it.

Getting into the river to attach a plastic net to the raw water cooling intake. OK, so i was in a wetsuit, but I was in there for quite a while fiddling about with cable ties and it was cold! Oh yes, and it didn't work the first time, so I had to get in again a week later! Argh!

My first narrowboat was a Springer and had an aged pump out and tank at the front of the cabin. I was about one week away from home moorings (I was on The Thames) and went in for a pump out. The operator thought that he was sucking up air - he was, the bottom of the tank had been pulled in by the suction and the contents had drained into the shallow vee bilges. It had a 'wet bilge' that drained the front well, but I can remember the moment of switching on the bilge pump only to see a stream of blue 'water'. I had to remove all the flooring and clean it all out - sort of spolied the holiday!

Top that!

My first narrowboat was a Springer and had an aged pump out and tank at the front of the cabin. I was about one week away from home moorings (I was on The Thames) and went in for a pump out. The operator thought that he was sucking up air - he was, the bottom of the tank had been pulled in by the suction and the contents had drained into the shallow vee bilges. It had a 'wet bilge' that drained the front well, but I can remember the moment of switching on the bilge pump only to see a stream of blue 'water'. I had to remove all the flooring and clean it all out - sort of spolied the holiday!

Top that!

... and people can still say that pumpout is better than cassette!

MP.

Changing the toilet isn't really a bad job as I have "proper" one a cassette!

Cleaning out the years of water and rust from the engine bilge and repainting was pretty rough as I had to become a contortionist to do it and it coincided with the hottest days of the year.

I guess the worst routine job I have to do is checking the batteries as they are pretty inaccessable and again I have to crawl around in the engine bay plus disconnect all the wires in order to just top them up.