Which loo paper for macerators ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

Is there a special paper designed to be used in macerators to minimise the risk of a blockage ?

Have done a search but nothing came up ....

Thanks,

Nick

I was just enjoying a nice drop of scotch - thankfully, nothing *came up* after reading your post.

use the cheapest or 2ply, dont use quilted.

Or you could try single ply - just watch your fingers don't go through!

Seriously - you can still block a macerator even with the cheap stuff if you end up using the same amount of paper as fewer sheets of better quality toilet paper. My macerator got blocked with cheap toilet paper and cleaning out a macerator isn't a pleasant job!

I'm not suggesting that you should use triple ply or quilted paper in your toilet, just be aware that it's the quantity of paper fibre you put down the toilet that's important. Macerators are best at breaking up waste that has already been digested - they don't like paper.

Edited by blackrose

The cheapest toilet paper you can find and not large amounts of it. Morrisons value toilet paper seems fine for ours.

Just remember to tell guests how the toilet works and not to use too much :lol:

Or get a cassette, where the amount of loo paper in use is unlikely to cause a problem, or for anybody to have to dismantle anything full of nasties!.......

(Sorry, couldn't stop myself, again!).

Or get a cassette, where the amount of loo paper in use is unlikely to cause a problem, or for anybody to have to dismantle anything full of nasties!.......

(Sorry, couldn't stop myself, again!).

Convincing guests to empty it could be a problem. Getting people to do the pump out isnt such a problem, they get paid for it.

Convincing guests to empty it could be a problem. Getting people to do the pump out isnt such a problem, they get paid for it.

Dump through then. No chance of blocking that. Although still use cheap paper. I suspect it's not just the total amount of paper fibre, but how well it's stuck together. A cheap paper will break down very quickly while the nicer ones tend to form solid lumps.

Convincing guests to empty it could be a problem.

Get them to, though, and they might be more careful about what goes in in future!

Getting people to do the pump out isnt such a problem, they get paid for it.

Well around here it's mostly a DIY "job", even if you pay for the privilege.

Getting them to unblock a macerator might prove less popular than cassette emptying. :lol:

Is there a special paper designed to be used in macerators to minimise the risk of a blockage ?

Have done a search but nothing came up ....

Thanks,

Nick

For the past 3 years we have used the cheap "basics" 2-ply supermarket paper. No problems at all. Its certainly not worth getting the very expensive thetford paper assuming you can find any.

If you have any doubts put a sheet into a bowl of water - if it falls to pieces it should be fine.

We use Tesco 'value' paper...

I think the secret is how well/fast it disolves...and we did disolve tests with a glass of watter and settled on Tescos. I imagine other value papers are probably made in the same place.....

We had two blocks this year and they were both after using the special cleaning stuff (overnight) that came with the loo !

Seems to make it a bit sticky...but instead of panicing...I left it 10 minutes and it would then clear OK on its own.

Bob

A cheap paper will break down very quickly while the nicer ones tend to form solid lumps.

Oh no it doesn't! :lol: I did some very simple tests last year using a measured amount of water in a glass cylinder to see which broke down first with gentle agitation. The order of speed was:

1. Charmin quilted.

2. The Andrex Puppy brand.

3. Lidl's cheapest; by a long way the slowest to break down into fibres.

I have a share on one of the oldest boats in the Ownerships fleet and at our annual meeting, there is always this "breast-beating, holier than though" plea to use the cheap (and usually nasty) stuff - we do my own thing and use Charmin. Never had an issue with pumpouts so long as the "Wet Ones" don't go down the s**t 'ole with the paper. :lol:

If one is sensible and doesn't fold the paper into a tight pad, all will be well. :lol:

We have used any supermarket "value" paper with no stoppages caused by paper for 6 years. (We have 2 macerators on board).

The only time there was a blockage, it was caused by a "face-wipe" dropped down by mistake. The blockage was cleared by stripping it down.

I was told that to quickly clear a blockage, first cover the bowl with cling film or an old towel then reverse the wires at the back and hope nothing spills out.....lol. I've never tried this method but in theory it might work.

Oh no it doesn't! :lol: I did some very simple tests last year using a measured amount of water in a glass cylinder to see which broke down first with gentle agitation. The order of speed was:

1. Charmin quilted.

2. The Andrex Puppy brand.

3. Lidl's cheapest; by a long way the slowest to break down into fibres.

Did you test Kleenex Double Velvet?

I was told that to quickly clear a blockage, first cover the bowl with cling film or an old towel then reverse the wires at the back and hope nothing spills out.....lol. I've never tried this method but in theory it might work.

I was also told this by our boatyard as a quick fix that they use every time, and nearly every time it works so I am sure there is some truth in it - I may even fit an easily accessible polarity-reversing switch !!! :lol::lol:

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx