An alternative canal map

tafkam

Featured Posts

I have quickly sketched out some basics of a much larger scale version - at around a3 size at 300dpi I hope.

Is anyone who is likely to be able to print at that size able to check to see if the quality is good enough - rather than me complete the whole thing and not really get anywhere with it!

I have uploaded it elsewhere as obviously the file size is considerably larger now:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7523/trial.png

Hi

It seems to have failed to copy all the detail - Thanks for trying

Alex

I have quickly sketched out some basics of a much larger scale version - at around a3 size at 300dpi I hope.

Is anyone who is likely to be able to print at that size able to check to see if the quality is good enough - rather than me complete the whole thing and not really get anywhere with it!

I have uploaded it elsewhere as obviously the file size is considerably larger now:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7523/trial.png

Yep, it prints out fine at A3 tafkam, and in fact the resolution is good and so it can go bigger....

I've now finished what I think is the network outline at that larger scale. I haven't added any labelling as yet, nor all of the markers.

I have changed from using the circular intersection symbol at all junctions, to using it only where there is an interchange between two 'different' canals. How do folk feel about this? I fear the original method showed rather a lot of black circles, but does this method leaves the junctions a little too unclear?

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3779/trialg.png

The latest update:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7523/trial.png

Hopefully including most advised changes, and all end-points and canal junctions.

Now just to place intermediate towns, etc. and complete the key.

An observation from the previous smaller version. Skipton, on the L&L, was too close to Leeds. In reality it is not too far from Gargrave.

Roger

Just a couple of minor things. On your key you have 'Trent and Merset'.

Should the junction on the T&M at Stoke be on to the Caldon canal and therefore be another colour?

Just a couple of minor things. On your key you have 'Trent and Merset'.

Oops! Yes, I'll correct that.

Should the junction on the T&M at Stoke be on to the Caldon canal and therefore be another colour?

Eek, yes! Another colour to find. I'll see what I can do!

Has anyone managed to print out a large-scale version yet? How does it look?

Hi Tafkam

Hope you have had an enjoyable few days on the canals.

Just one thing - should not the Mon & Brec be shown as Brecon to Cwmbran rather than Newport as this is the current southern limit of navigation. Perhaps you could link Cymbran with Newport with a dotted line to show that this section is (hopefully) going to be restored? Of course this would raise the problem that other people would want to see their canal restoration project eg Cotswold Canals or Lichfield & Hatherton Canals shown in a similar way! :lol:

Great map - keep up the good work.

Stewey

Oops! Yes, I'll correct that.

Eek, yes! Another colour to find. I'll see what I can do!

Has anyone managed to print out a large-scale version yet? How does it look?

Just printed it at A1 on my plotter at work and the qulity is excellent! - can send you one if you waould like.

Just a couple of comments:

I would have pointed the Runcorn Arm at the MSC rather than the Weaver

The key states that a Circle is a Canal Junction but you have several on River Junctions (Hull, Avonmouth, Weybridge, Tewkesbury etc - perhaps 'Waterway Junction'

You have the Junction with the Regents and the Thames as Limehouse Basin whereas I would j=have thought that Limehouse is a more acxcurate description.

Just my two pennuth

Tim

I'm sure you've landed yourself with a never-ending project here!

Just a couple of comments to consider for your next version:

River Ouse (Yorkshire) - At a point a couple of miles upstream from York the River Ouse becomes the Ure Navigation.

- The last few miles to Ripon are the Ripon Canal, a canal in its own right and not a navigable river. - another colour to find?

River Ancholme is navigable for 17 miles south from junction with the Humber, between Hull and Trent Falls.

Market Weighton Canal runs north from the same section of the Humber. Still navigable if EA can be persuaded to work the lock.

The Quarry branch off the L&L at Skipton.

The Glasson Branch off the Lancaster has 6(?) locks, a sizeable marina and a connection to the sea.

With apologies!

John

MV Sara

Just printed it at A1 on my plotter at work and the qulity is excellent! - can send you one if you waould like.

Just a couple of comments:

I would have pointed the Runcorn Arm at the MSC rather than the Weaver

The key states that a Circle is a Canal Junction but you have several on River Junctions (Hull, Avonmouth, Weybridge, Tewkesbury etc - perhaps 'Waterway Junction'

You have the Junction with the Regents and the Thames as Limehouse Basin whereas I would j=have thought that Limehouse is a more acxcurate description.

Just my two pennuth

Tim

All changes I agree with, and will make!

This is usually called "The Springs Branch".

I understand that a local freight railway line is sometimes called "The Quarry Branch".

It was to a quarry originally though wasn't it??

You are correct though I know it as the Springs branch

It was to a quarry originally though wasn't it??

You are correct though I know it as the Springs branch

Not exactly to the quarry. It runs to just underneath the castle walls. There was a tramway from the quarry which was quite a bit further on. The stone was brought down the tramway and tipped down chutes (the remains of which are still there) straight into the waiting boats below which must have been quite noisy overall and dangerous for those boats that had thin baseplates I would have thought. It is quite a fall for the stone from the top of the chutes. :lol:

Roger