what dog?

mucky

Featured Posts

We have a West Highland Terrier and he likes being on the boat. Many of the smaller breeds are good for boats but then again if you have ever been down to the end of the Ashby you may have met the lady who looks after the society shop there who has 3 Alsatians living with her on her boat!

Also it is worth taking into account your likely lifestyle ie will you leave the dog alone much or how much exercise will you be able to handle? Different breeds have different needs big and small. The best coach potatoes are likely to be Greyhounds (a bit leggy for a boat I guess) or better still a whippet.

This is not a bad website for explaining dog breeds and their likely needs.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/dog_breed.asp

Springer Spaniel every time. My Charlie is just brilliant and is an excellent swimmer. Easy to train and very 'biddable'. I would have thought a swimming type dog would be an asset on a boat so my choice would be Spaniel - they have webbed feet so good in strong currents, or a labrador - they seem to be the breed who love the water. Also a Newfoundland but they are a bit big in a narrow boat.

Do consider a rescue dog. Dogs Trust are very good with lots of free 'after care advice' on offer if you encounter any problems.

Remember you need a breed that suits you as well as the boat. For example if you aren't experienced with dogs it is no good going for a dominant breed that needs a lot of training, or if you love big dogs you won't want a small terrier. Personally I wouldn't want a border collie. They are lovely dogs but mostly seem too eager to please and obsessive about things. My own favourite would be a Welsh Springer Spaniel. Partly because I had one before. Generally they are not as big as the English springer and a of very different temperament. If you want a dog that will be independent and think for itself, won't grow up until its at least seven years old and be a challenge on the training front (to put it mildly :lol: ) they are a good choice. Mine loved boats, anything form the canal society's trip boat to the Manx ferry. He also loved cars, trains, buses and any other form of transport. For those who say pedigree dogs have more health problems, apart from an allergic reaction to a bee sting, the results of an attack by a farm collie and inoculations, he never needed the vet until the last at 16 years of age.

Or last dog was some sort of Greyhound/Airedale mongrel cross and she was a great boat dog.

- We rescued her as a pup after she was found straying in the streets (hence not knowing exact breed) but shes was spot on.

Currently we're "between dogs" as theres knowone to look after a puppy currently, which is a shame, but im away from home at lot anyway at the moment.

Me and hound (not a cracking photo, but sadly i dont have many of her)

dscf0029.jpg

Daniel

When we lived on the Broads we had a nice GSD who was around a year old when we moved on to the boat, and a collie x terrier x something with bandy legs (he was about 14 inches high, quite long and looked a bit like Sprocket from Fraggle Rock).

We currently have a poachers pack, Jack Russell and a lurcher. They like boats, especially the terrier who tries to get on any boat along the towpath, much to our embarrassment. Even when she's on her lead.

I would avoid labradors as they love water!! We never took ours, Oscar, as he would have wanted to be in the water 24/7!! Once saw a black lab swimming right before a lock who refused to come out of the water, a real nightmare for the owners as the poor dog was in danger from both the lock and boats.

I really think size is the major issue for a dog on a narrow boat, lack of room on board must be an issue mind you we passed a boat last year just mooring up when 2 Great Danes jumped onto the tow path, lovely dogs but they do take up a lot of room!!

Having said this I always worry around locks when there are loose dogs being encouraged to either cross the lock gates or jump on board whilst the boat is going up/down. I once rescued a dog that fell into a lock whilst the boat was going down, the owner didn't even thank me, saying oh she would have been fine, I don't think so! I really love seeing dogs wearing life jackets.

Julie

I would avoid labradors as they love water!! We never took ours, Oscar, as he would have wanted to be in the water 24/7!! Once saw a black lab swimming right before a lock who refused to come out of the water, a real nightmare for the owners as the poor dog was in danger from both the lock and boats.

I really think size is the major issue for a dog on a narrow boat, lack of room on board must be an issue mind you we passed a boat last year just mooring up when 2 Great Danes jumped onto the tow path, lovely dogs but they do take up a lot of room!!

Having said this I always worry around locks when there are loose dogs being encouraged to either cross the lock gates or jump on board whilst the boat is going up/down. I once rescued a dog that fell into a lock whilst the boat was going down, the owner didn't even thank me, saying oh she would have been fine, I don't think so! I really love seeing dogs wearing life jackets.

Julie

You might as well get your dog pyjamas to sleep in. They are dogs - they can swim, they can also cross lock gates better than humans.

Sue

The reason our dogs wear safety harness or jackets is because they find it difficult to get out if they fall in with the vertical sides of the canals and it is something to grab hold of to hoick (?) them out.

The husky would be sooo heavy if that fur got soaked through!

Our previous husky was on the towpath on the L&L in the rain (on a rope) she loved the rain and normally refused to come in. We looked out to check on her and she was in the water, she had slipped down the bank (a steep towpath side near some locks) and into the water. She was as still as anything, just calmly holding her head up. It would have been difficult to get her out without the harness and she weighed very heavy. A heart stopping moment! (should have put this on the heart stopping thread!) She took days to dry out too.

Yes they can swim but find it difficult without assistance to get out.

Edited by Carol Whale

The reason our dogs wear safety harness or jackets is because they find it difficult to get out if they fall in with the vertical sides of the canals and it is something to grab hold of to hoick (?) them out.

The husky would be sooo heavy if that fur got soaked through!

Our previous husky was on the towpath on the L&L in the rain (on a rope) she loved the rain and normally refused to come in. We looked out to check on her and she was in the water, she had slipped down the bank (a steep towpath side near some locks) and into the water. She was as still as anything, just calmly holding her head up. It would have been difficult to get her out without the harness and she weighed very heavy. A heart stopping moment! (should have put this on the heart stopping thread!) She took days to dry out too.

Yes they can swim but find it difficult without assistance to get out.

Purple haze said life jackets not harnesses. I agree a handle can be useful to land a dog with. We found with our Alsations that a hand on the back of the neck and a pull forward was all that was required. Just as well really as I couldn't lift one out.

Sue

Someone here has just adopted a Jack Russell / Bassett Hound cross. A lovely little dog, though sadly he had a rough time before adoption.

I suppose he's a Jack Russett?

If you called him Bertie then he'd be...

Julie

I've a big labrador, who likes a swim, but he won't go in without permission. Training is the key to any dog's behaviour, and though breeds do have specific traits, they can be overcome or redirected. (I take no credit for mine - he's a rehomed working dog).

What I would say is that size becomes important if you are on non canal moorings. At a push I can carry mine, but I wouldn't get him up a ladder from a pontoon on a big river. A life jacket does give him a useful handle, though

• 1 year later...

I'm totally biased, but our miniature dachshund loves being on the boat. He's small enough to get out of the way and if I manage to post the pic then you'll see he loves being on the roof! He's happy with long walks or just as content to curl up in front of the wood burner.

Pedro

Pedro 2

After past experiences I would never go down the route of getting a Pedigree again.

There are that many cross breeds and mongrels in kennels/dogs homes/animal shelters that need rehoming it would be criminal not to go down that route.

We have said 'never again' after loosing the Cocker Spaniel but we now have Mac, the best dog in the world :lol:

I agree with you Liam. We have just managed to hand back my son's boxer, after fostering him for a year or two and I am enjoying the peace, lack of dog hair and dog sh*t, but I do think I would like a little boat dog and I would go to the dogs home first to try and find something suitable. But I have heard that it's all untrained Staffies these days and I wouldn't want one of those. A narrow boat requires a narrow dog, the smaller and sprightlier the better.

Edited by journeyperson