what dog?

mucky

Featured Posts

Whippets can be very sweet, but seem to come in two varieties: Shaky Bag of Nerves and Placid. The placid ones are great but I'm not keen on the neurotic ones.

My brother had a whippet, it was from a rescue centre and he fostered it for a while. It did not cope well with being left and would eat whatever food it could find in the house, even opening cupboards and the fridge and eating frozen food. He left it in the car one evening while he was in the pub, it chewed through a seat belt and ruined the seats too. It went to a couple who could stay in with it all day and was better off there..Don't get a rescue one..

Casp'

My brother had a whippet, it was from a rescue centre and he fostered it for a while. It did not cope well with being left and would eat whatever food it could find in the house, even opening cupboards and the fridge and eating frozen food. He left it in the car one evening while he was in the pub, it chewed through a seat belt and ruined the seats too. It went to a couple who could stay in with it all day and was better off there..Don't get a rescue one..

Casp'

Mother & father-in-law adopted a retired greyhound - he was a compulsive food thief as well. Wonderful temperament, great with kids, only needed one manic run round the garden per day but you had to be so careful with your food around him. One time we were dogsitting he was (apparently) fast asleep in his basket and I was preparing the evening meal. I decided it was safe to nip outside and put a couple of empty milk bottles on the doorstep - big mistake. When I got back to the kitchen, so more than a few seconds later, the dog had his paws on the food counter and his muzzle hoovering up the contents of my labour! He was also very clever at opening cupboards, fridges & pulling food containers down from high places and opening them.

Lovely dog though, we still miss him.

So its going to be a cat then :lol::lol:

we have a Border Terrier who has known nothing else but living on our barge.. only fell in once..( off the tender) great lil watchdog , fun and pick up able!...

Edited by noff

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

Our border collie Rebel, had his first boating holiday this year and took to it like a dog to water :)

He came from the dogs home and after a grim start in life he is now living life to the full, full of love and full of fun. A real treasure.

well i have a new job so have more time and can therefore give a dog the time it needs

so who can lead the way and tell me what breeds are great for boat life, and what characteristics of what breeds are good for living on a boat?

your thoughts appreciated

ta

:D

Hi

Any large breed is best you need a dog that goes woof, not yap or as my missus says you dont want a dog you can stamp on !

Big dogs protect you and the boat ( or look like they will ) also small dogs you tend to trip over in the confines of a boat whereas you can see a big un and step over it. Also if you run out of diesel ( like me ) the dog can tow the boat............. :rolleyes:

Hi

Any large breed is best you need a dog that goes woof, not yap or as my missus says you dont want a dog you can stamp on !

Big dogs protect you and the boat ( or look like they will ) also small dogs you tend to trip over in the confines of a boat whereas you can see a big un and step over it. Also if you run out of diesel ( like me ) the dog can tow the boat............. :rolleyes:

Nope - in the boat protecting dept. it's all about yappiness...Dennis can detect an intruder at 100 yards,,,,,

6835_137937871699_673286699_3077140.jpg

Nope - in the boat protecting dept. it's all about yappiness...Dennis can detect an intruder at 100 yards,,,,,

6835_137937871699_673286699_3077140.jpg

Aaw, sweet looking thing, look good in a baguette with a load of mustard on I love Hot dogs.............

Aaw, sweet looking thing, look good in a baguette with a load of mustard on I love Hot dogs.............

Easy to say when you're 200 miles away....

he's got your measure..be afraid...be very afraid... ;)

For us it's got to be a toy poodle. Too intellegent for their own good, small, and don't lose fur! Many folks on the Staffs and worcester know ours, Basil, sort of apricot, can howl , and patrols his bit of towpath, doesn't matter where you moor, it's his bit of tow path.......I'll find a photo when i get a chance....

We're both dog lovers. We've both agreed that we would love a dog on our boat but we're undecided because of the problems when we do want to go abroad with finding dogsitters or paying exorbitant kennel fees, plus the fact that we're boating on quite a tight budget and it'd be one extra mouth to feed. We've decided that we'll have a dog if serendipity brings one our way - ie if a dog needing a home happens across our path during our travels. Can I assist serendipity maybe (I'm a little less undecided than Dave)?

Our ideal dog would be a cross-breed - somewhere around spaniel sized· Our favourite ever dog was called Snebbles and was a Spaniel/Labrador cross - 2nd fave was Sami who - we thought- was Whippet / Labrador

Just in case someone knows of a dog that needs a loving home :rolleyes:

PS don't tell Dave I posted this - it has to be serendipity!

Brainwave time .... and answer to original post by Mucky. Pop across to Bridge 44 on the Ashby. There you'll find Gary and Sue - and if you look in the Ashby Canal thread in the Holidays or Cruise Diaries thread (can't remember which) you'll find out ALL about them!! Gary has a little family of dogs with the dad as the chief. He's wanting to sell a couple of the pups and he's been bringing them all up as boat dogs (I think the pups are sixteen weeks now). They are utterly charming and delightful as all those of us who have met them over the last month reckon. It wouldn't take you a moment in a car to get there - bit longer on a bike - quite a bit longer by boat .. but he's within reach and is usually back at his boat (the blue tarpaulin project boat) by about 6.00pm. He does a lot of work on the towpath so he's often around and about anyway.

Jo

Really? I find that hard to believe, though maybe I've just been lucky.

I did meet a chap on the Bluebell Railway one day. I was doing a firing turn and on the way back from coupling up I met this bloke and his Cocker Spaniel. "Careful," he said, "he's a bit grouchy". But seeing as the dog was flat out with his feet in the air having his belly rubbed by this stage, it seemed a bit harsh.

Yes really, cocker rage is quite common.

http://www.petclubuk.com/pet-information/article/cocker-rage-syndrome

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/rage_syndrome.htm

http://www.dogstuff.info/cocker_rage_syndrome.html

After years of deliberation we have decided on a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever = I just want to be able to say that every time someone asks me what kind of dog it is. Looks like a border collie but is a bit smaller and copper and white. Of course we have to wait anothe year or two until the MB can pick his work a bit more freely, must be able to take the hound on jobs with him....but can't wait.

After years of deliberation we have decided on a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever = I just want to be able to say that every time someone asks me what kind of dog it is. Looks like a border collie but is a bit smaller and copper and white. Of course we have to wait anothe year or two until the MB can pick his work a bit more freely, must be able to take the hound on jobs with him....but can't wait.

saw one of those in a pub by the lea the other day, owner did have a strange grin as she answered my question what type of dog is that? must go hand in hand with owning one :rolleyes: