Daft comments/questions

andywatson

Featured Posts

What a load of b******s Phylis

I and many others have lived HAPPILY and of our own free will in areas a lot smaller than that

Back cabins of working/ex working boats are but one example

Please do not judge everybody else's needs upon your own property requirements

Chris

Good for you.......

Unfortunatley i have run out of the medals given out for living in small spaces.

Good for you.......

Unfortunatley i have run out of the medals given out for living in small spaces.

edited because it was just too silly...

Richard

Edited by RLWP

When has that ever stopped you before? (or me, for that matter)

Well, when you spend ages trying to find just the right image of a Guatamalan medal that doesn't have any military or political overtones and then have to consider if the image is good enough and not too big...

Richard

Well, when you spend ages trying to find just the right image of a Guatamalan medal that doesn't have any military or political overtones and then have to consider if the image is good enough and not too big...

Richard

Perhaps a ceremonial horse brass?

A holidaymaker on his hire boat eyed our the signwriting and said, “Is Fellows, Morton and Clayton a good firm to hire from?

well, are they? :lol:

:lol: :lol:

From some kids walking past the yard where I'm boatbuilding... Q. "What's that?" A. "A bleedin' 'elicopter"

The last on Saturday, from a very pleasant lady... "What kind of boat is that?" "It's a canal boat" "And where will you sail it?" "Erm...a canal :lol:"

A holidaymaker on his hire boat eyed our the signwriting and said, “Is Fellows, Morton and Clayton a good firm to hire from?

well, are they? ;)

Replies only by Personal Messenger, please - a moderator advised last night that we should not put any negative views on any "hire" company in actual forum posts.

Recently OH posted this observation in our blog.....

Does anybody else received comments that all the hard work is being done by the women folk, and the male crew member(s) are doing bu**er all, please ?

Additionally....

Recently I have had several cases where the boat was already in a lock before the observer turned up, but the steerer is positioned at the back I've then been asked which direction we are travelling in! Often people seem genuinely surprised which end is the front. :lol:

Many years ago, with the ex, we had a hire boat from Worcester for the weekend. The usual protocol was that I worked the locks while she steered..

Coming down the Astwood Locks, I was doing my usual preformance, lift one paddle, run onto the next lock, lift both top paddles, run back (I could actually shift it then, close to 15 seconds for 100 metres!!!) open the gates, close them, overtake the boat and open the top gate of the next.

Oner fisherman said "Won't you let her run up and down like a madman then?" :lol:

(Jokes shouldn't need explaining, but at the time a lot of women worked locks and gave the excuse "I can't steer... well, he won't let me try really")

And hot off the press today! At Widcombe Top Lock in Bath, a hire boat entered, The top gates had been left open, and the bloke (working the locks) went back to his wife, having stared at the gates and said "there's no way of crossing the bottom gates, push the boat over so I can get to the other top gate...."

In making this assessment, he had stood next to the footbridge :lol:

Standing by Apsley Marina a couple of years ago two American tourists commented on how lovely the canal was. They then went on to ask how long it had been there and whether it had been built because of the new flats!

I know that this is :lol:

however, this is a common problem with American tourists, who really haven't grasped just how old so much of our country is.

Some 40 years ago, my family visited Carn Euny, an archaological site in Cornwall, which was inhabited in the Neolithic and Iron Age periods. We were told by the curator of the American tourists who slogged up the hill from the road, then asked "why didn't they build it nearer the road?"

While out exercising or showing off Gypsy Queen in her boat horse gears

2625254298_4ff82e338e.jpg

on explaining that we're training her to pull a canal boat,

"How will she do that then? Does she have to swim?"

:lol:

I met a boat waiting in Devizes bottom lock. It had passed us much earlier so had been there at least an hour.

Turns out they had seen a low flying helicopter and assumed it was the lock keeper, so were waiting for him to fly back down to operate the locks for him.

I met a boat waiting in Devizes bottom lock. It had passed us much earlier so had been there at least an hour.

Turns out they had seen a low flying helicopter and assumed it was the lock keeper, so were waiting for him to fly back down to operate the locks for him.

The last two posts conjure up a wonderful mental picture: a helly lands at the bottom of Caen Hill, the lock keeper steps out and opens the gates, and a horse swims in towing its boat behind it. I think that such a sequence should be staged for the benefit of those US tourists whose presence so enriches our beauty spots.

The last two posts conjure up a wonderful mental picture: a helly lands at the bottom of Caen Hill, the lock keeper steps out and opens the gates, and a horse swims in towing its boat behind it. I think that such a sequence should be staged for the benefit of those US tourists whose presence so enriches our beauty spots.

Such a scenario would never have happened, though.

The Lock keeper's helicopter trial was long after the last working horse boat had retired.

Such a scenario would never have happened, though.

The Lock keeper's helicopter trial was long after the last working horse boat had retired.

Bloomin' pedant. A Cierva autogiro, perhaps?