Washing Machine again - sorry

Chasbo

Featured Posts

I have a Powermaster 1800W inverter and I bought a Zanussi ZWC1300W washing machine hoping that the one would run the other. It won’t.

(I should have read all the washing machine threads on this forum before I bought it!)

So my questions are -

1) Do I change the washing machine? Is there any model of washing machine that a Powermaster 1800W inverter will run?

2) Do I change the inverter? Is there a model of inverter that will run a Zanussi ZWC1300W? If so how many batteries do you need?

3) Is a generator the best option? What is the smallest generator that will power a Zanussi ZWC1300W?

I am hoping someone can come up with a solution that’s not too expensive.

I have a Powermaster 1800W inverter and I bought a Zanussi ZWC1300W washing machine hoping that the one would run the other. It won’t.

(I should have read all the washing machine threads on this forum before I bought it!)

So my questions are -

1) Do I change the washing machine? Is there any model of washing machine that a Powermaster 1800W inverter will run?

2) Do I change the inverter? Is there a model of inverter that will run a Zanussi ZWC1300W? If so how many batteries do you need?

3) Is a generator the best option? What is the smallest generator that will power a Zanussi ZWC1300W?

Use a launderette? Then sell the washing machine.

Sue

So my questions are -

Bought one for Stafford 3 weeks ago.

Narrowcraft for a Powermaster 3 kw pure sine wave inverter and this was sufficient to run this machine.

It did appear to use more amps than the usual condenser/dryer we usually fit.

Oh and we fit 4 x 115 batteries as standard.

I used it one on the Cowley Pound and it worked a treat.

I have a powermaster inverter/charger 1500 on my boat and as long as the engine is running it will run the small half load candy washing machine that we have onboard which I think is about 1300 watts.

The inverter incidenally is a pure sine wave, which was recomended by the seller of the washing machine.

Maybe you purchased the wrong washing machine or the wrong inverter?

Good Luck.

Sue

Well sue if it were me, I can not walk to a laundrette, due to my illness, so am reading all this info with much interest, as I am about to fit a washing machine also. Anyway where are all these laundrettes then. I have looked on every site, as we will be c cruising, so more helpful info on this please.

Mary1

Well sue if it were me, I can not walk to a laundrette, due to my illness, so am reading all this info with much interest, as I am about to fit a washing machine also. Anyway where are all these laundrettes then. I have looked on every site, as we will be c cruising, so more helpful info on this please.

Mary1

I'm not making the case for launderettes, which I know don't suit everybody.

(Having had to endure the one at Braunston Marina, next to the pump out facility, I can assure Sue that her assertion that pump-out doesn't smell is certainly not true there!)

However, this list of launderettes is apparently recommended....

http://www.aylesburycanal.org.uk/sitechapter.cfm?chapter=8

I don't have copy, so can't vouch for it's usefulness.

I know many people are looking for a fully functional automatic washing machine on board, and the electronics is many undoubtedly doesn't work on the cheaper inverters.

If you can live with it, you can still buy twin tub washing machines, with mechanical timers, that will run fine on any crap old inverter or generator. These can be a full sized, or near full sized washer, or you can get small ones that take a restricted load (1.5KG). We have just installed the latter, and it seems to work very well, despite only being powered on an inverter that was £25 from Maplin. In fact the total cost of (albeit small) washer plus inverter was well under £100 - a bit cheaper than using an automatic, and I suspect fairly quickly cheaper than using launderettes. Plus we can just do the wash whilst cruising, not sat for 2 hours smelling other people's sewage!

The "Total connected load" for a Zanussi ZWC1300W is given as 1600 W. We have run a Zanussi ZWC1300W from a Victron pure sine wave inverter since 2005 (not all the time!). The inverter is 2500 or 3000 W. We only run the washing machine when the engine is running, to reduce the drain on the batteries.

The "Total connected load" for a Zanussi ZWC1300W is given as 1600 W. We have run a Zanussi ZWC1300W from a Victron pure sine wave inverter since 2005 (not all the time!). The inverter is 2500 or 3000 W. We only run the washing machine when the engine is running, to reduce the drain on the batteries.

We have the same machine and it runs happily from our Victron 3000w inverter but won't run from our generator.

I also have the same washing machine and normally run it from mains at my mooring. When I'm away I can run it from my Honda EU30i generator. However, for some reason the washing machine doesn't like it and seems to take a few minutes until it's happy with the sinewave. It should run from the Honda EU20i which has a 1600w rated output. I've checked the washing machine with an AC meter from Maplins and on a 40 deg wash it doesn't seem to draw more than about 1400w.

See if you can find someone witha Honda EU20i generator who wouldn't mind letting you test your washing machine.

I've never tried to run the Zanussi from my 1800w semi-sinewave inverter. I'm sure it wouldn't work.

Sue

Why, so they can suffer like you? :lol:

Edited by blackrose

Thanks for your comments everyone. Just the info I was looking for.

I will be following tomandsophie's thread with interest also

I would go with Sueb's suggestion of a launderette if it was not for my wife. To take that suggestion to its logical conclusion you would throw away all the equipment on the boat. In fact why not sell the boat and you could buy a good pair of waders and a tent and travel round the system that way!

Thanks for your comments everyone. Just the info I was looking for.

I will be following tomandsophie's thread with interest also

I would go with Sueb's suggestion of a launderette if it was not for my wife. To take that suggestion to its logical conclusion you would throw away all the equipment on the boat. In fact why not sell the boat and you could buy a good pair of waders and a tent and travel round the system that way!

Yes and with all of these moored boats, about the same speed.

We need to know what happens when you try to run it....

Does the washer refuse to do anything?

Does it spin at the wrong speed?

Does the inverter cutout on overload?

Does the inverter cut out on low battery?

Is the inverter in idle mode?

Are you trying to use the water heater in the washer?

Until these are answered it's nothing more than guesswork and speculation.

Gibbo

We need to know what happens when you try to run it....

Does the washer refuse to do anything?

Does it spin at the wrong speed?

Does the inverter cutout on overload?

Does the inverter cut out on low battery?

Is the inverter in idle mode?

Are you trying to use the water heater in the washer?

Until these are answered it's nothing more than guesswork and speculation.

Gibbo

The washer starts off OK and will fill with water but as soon as the motor begins to turn the drum the lights go out on the washer. After about 30 seconds the washer will again try to turn the drum but tyhe same thing happens again. The inverter ( which is a 1800W pure sine wave) does not cut out. I was running the engine at the time.

I have plumbed the washer (which is cold fill) into the hot supply from the top of the calorifier so that there should be no need for the washer to use electricity to heat the water.

A colleague at work suggested that it was probably the electronics in the washer sensing a voltage drop caused by the surge in current needed to start the motor turning rather than the inverter being overloaded.

Would I have more luck with a Candy AQ1000T with a mechanical timer?

Thanks

The washer starts off OK and will fill with water but as soon as the motor begins to turn the drum the lights go out on the washer. After about 30 seconds the washer will again try to turn the drum but tyhe same thing happens again. The inverter ( which is a 1800W pure sine wave) does not cut out. I was running the engine at the time.

I have plumbed the washer (which is cold fill) into the hot supply from the top of the calorifier so that there should be no need for the washer to use electricity to heat the water.

A colleague at work suggested that it was probably the electronics in the washer sensing a voltage drop caused by the surge in current needed to start the motor turning rather than the inverter being overloaded.

Would I have more luck with a Candy AQ1000T with a mechanical timer?

Thanks

Are you sure the hot water is above the temp. of your selected wash i.e. 60 or 40 degrees if not then the heater will cut in, may be cold water in the pipe between calorifier and w/m which will lower water temp. You could try disconnecting the w/m heater.

Could be... apparently such motors require a very high surge for a split second, so in effect perhaps your inverter is overloaded for that period.

Gibbo will know.

Are you sure the hot water is above the temp. of your selected wash i.e. 60 or 40 degrees if not then the heater will cut in, may be cold water in the pipe between calorifier and w/m which will lower water temp. You could try disconnecting the w/m heater.

It cannot be that because I selected a cold wash and the same effect happened. It also happens if you select just a spin and no wash.

So my questions are -

dont know if I come up with the solution, but, FYI we recently got the same machine and it runs perfectly on an 1800w Prosine(pure sine wave) inverter. When the heating element is on it draws 120-137 amps, the higher figure when the drum takes aturn during the heating process. We cut down the heating time by putting a large pan of hot water in with the clothes, and I know how that reads but cant be bothered to reword it !!!

Battery bank is 4x110 wet lead acid (£46+vat fron potteries diesel in Longton) 2x lucas a127m 55 amp altenators with Adverc control on both, had this for 9 years now and reckon to get 3years out of the batteries, continuous cruising, engine running time depends on how much telly/computor time we need that evening

HTH

Hope to on the forum more now my phone sorted out

Paul Morris

NB Enchantress

currently Middlewich heading to Stoke Bruerne via Audlem

I also have the same washing machine and normally run it from mains at my mooring. When I'm away I can run it from my Honda EU30i generator. However, for some reason the washing machine doesn't like it and seems to take a few minutes until it's happy with the sinewave. It should run from the Honda EU20i which has a 1600w rated output. I've checked the washing machine with an AC meter from Maplins and on a 40 deg wash it doesn't seem to draw more than about 1400w.

See if you can find someone witha Honda EU20i generator who wouldn't mind letting you test your washing machine.

I've never tried to run the Zanussi from my 1800w semi-sinewave inverter. I'm sure it wouldn't work.

Why, so they can suffer like you? :lol:

I'm not suffering. I don't have to spend my time on the boat washing clothes :lol:

I will admit that I take my washing back to the house sometimes but I found I didn't use the washing machine on the boat so I got rid of it.

Sue

I am watching this thread with interest as I need to buy a washing machine and invertor and as the invertor will solely be used for the machine would prefer to buy as small an invertor as possible obviously to save money.

I recollect that from a previous thread that some time ago Midland chandlers were selling the Candy machine ( and stating that it would run on a 1800 w (pure sine) inverter but more recently they have been advising to use a 3000w inverter, so has something changed in the electronics controlling the motor on the Candy?

300) watt inverters are much dearer than 1800 watt ones so it would be really useful to know if anyone has got the Candy or any other currently available machine to work on an 1800 watt inverter. (even more so if it was modified sine of course)

I am watching this thread with interest as I need to buy a washing machine and invertor and as the invertor will solely be used for the machine would prefer to buy as small an invertor as possible obviously to save money.

I recollect that from a previous thread that some time ago Midland chandlers were selling the Candy machine ( and stating that it would run on a 1800 w (pure sine) inverter but more recently they have been advising to use a 3000w inverter, so has something changed in the electronics controlling the motor on the Candy?

3000 watt inverters are much dearer than 1800 watt ones so it would be really useful to know if anyone has got the Candy or any other currently available machine to work on an 1800 watt inverter. (even more so if it was modified sine of course)

300) watt inverters are much dearer than 1800 watt ones so it would be really useful to know if anyone has got the Candy or any other currently available machine to work on an 1800 watt inverter. (even more so if it was modified sine of course)

3000 watt inverters are much dearer than 1800 watt ones so it would be really useful to know if anyone has got the Candy or any other currently available machine to work on an 1800 watt inverter. (even more so if it was modified sine of course)

did you hear that echo.... echo....

Nick :lol:

We have the small candy ( bought a year ago) & a sterling 1800w modified inverter - & won't work :lol:

Fine on home mooring as shore power, still debating whether to upgrade to pure sine wave.

• 1 month later...

Success!

I have managed to find a second hand candy aqua 1000t ( thanks to GeoffS) and it will work with my 1800w pure sine wave inverter.

Would anyone like to buy a virtually brand new Zanussi ZWC1300W for half what I paid for it? (see For Sale and Wanted)