Que Sera Sera

Digipete

Featured Posts

Unless the owners of this boat are found to have committed something graver than gross stupidity, we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Why?????????? I don't follow your logic.

If this turns out to be a scam or a con then some people on here who have given almost their reputation to be helpful in finding it are going to look like total prats.

What I see going on here is no more than idle gossip that is not helping find the boat one little bit.

It is not "idle gossip" to suggest that information we were given that was supposed to positively establish the boat as being in a fixed location at a fixed time suddenly got withdrawn.

I accept anybody can make a mistake, but we seemed to move from a positive sighting from someone who both knew and had been aboard the boat to a vague third party link that said the information had been incorrect. A photograph was supposed to have been taken of the apparently other "Que Sera Sera", but that is not available to us, to see what the other "Que Sera Sera" looks like.

None of this is idle speculation, or gossip - it's what we have been told, by the owners, either directly or through Rose.

Where it gets to speculation is when you start to assume there was no other "Que Sera Sera" in Alrewas, and that hence no photograph was taken...........

This isn't about lack of computer literacy, or even about naivety.

The owners asked for the forum's help, so should be prepared to answer questions in these areas, and shouldn't be surprised if people become suspicious when they chose not to.

If this turns out to be a scam or a con then some people on here who have given almost their reputation to be helpful in finding it are going to look like total prats.

I don't think that way at all. We are supposed to be human and help our fellow boaters by your logic we should treat everyone as thief's and vagabonds until they prove otherwise. What a sad world you live in. It's called the milk of human kindness but I guess from your post it is something you know little about.

I still say I would rather be disappointed by someone now and then than assume everyone is on the make.

Strikes me that if anyone is concerned about having their boat pinched they should fit a tracking device - they're routinely fitted in expensive sports cars - or an alarm that alerts you by mobile phone. They're not that costly and widely available.

Ah the benefits of hindsight starman! The problem is many of us dont think it is going to happen to us!

Well unless they have done an anonymous login their profile shows them not having logged in for about 5 days.

If that's the case, then they have not been driven away by recent comments.

Nor, or course, have they checked the reports of those who have been looking for Que Sera Sera in their travels.

Surely the option is fully open to them to come and answer some of the unanswered questions, or to explain why information previously given was then withdrawn ?

For example, clearly it doesn't trouble some of those on here that what was claimed to be a guaranteed sighting of the boat by someone who knew it, was then said not to be. I certainly think that warrants further explanation.

Not logging in doesn't mean they aren't reading, and we know people are reporting to them via telephone or email, and besides, they might have suffered a severe mis fortune and be incapacitated. You do tend to think the worst of people! I dont think anything warrants explanation any more than the nit picking nastyness of some of the comments on this thread

Although few of us hand our boats over to strangers, of course.

If some hire boat companies made a practice of fitting trackers, they probably would prefer we didn't know.

Of course, of course, and some of us do. You dont have to hand your boat to a stranger for it to get pinched.

prats? The idea that the forum is an expression of reputation that is underminded by cross-species transformations is quite bizarre. All anyone who has been helpful has done is post up posters and keep a look out for a boat that is missing.

I would have thought peoples reputations are more likely to be damaged by being ignorant and insensitive in their postings on here. If the boat is found, having been stolen by a third party, I think a lot of people on here are going to look worse than prats. But then people that have opinions tend to put their reputations on the line in todays society.

It is not "idle gossip" to suggest that information we were given that was supposed to positively establish the boat as being in a fixed location at a fixed time suddenly got withdrawn.

I accept anybody can make a mistake, but we seemed to move from a positive sighting from someone who both knew and had been aboard the boat to a vague third party link that said the information had been incorrect. A photograph was supposed to have been taken of the apparently other "Que Sera Sera", but that is not available to us, to see what the other "Que Sera Sera" looks like.

None of this is idle speculation, or gossip - it's what we have been told, by the owners, either directly or through Rose.

Where it gets to speculation is when you start to assume there was no other "Que Sera Sera" in Alrewas, and that hence no photograph was taken...........

The owners asked for the forum's help, so should be prepared to answer questions in these areas, and shouldn't be surprised if people become suspicious when they chose not to.

The point is, it really doesn't matter. What does matter is finding the boat.

I've tried imagining myself and Lynn in their stated position.

Even If a was not internet savvy but found out that there were boating furums with members living on the canal system, I would very quickly become so in an attempt to find my boat.

I would even have a comp installed and learn to use it PDQ if skint use a neighbours etc etc

I would also be watching this forum day and night offering all the information i could.

We recently had fuel stolen from our depot, the officer in charge was going on a course, but I was given another officers name and direct phone number to contact with any further info.

I know the police are pushed, but I find it difficult to believe that and investigation of theft on this level will be on hold whilst an officer goes on holiday and then resume when the officer returns to duty. I'm sure this would breech some kind of minimal standard of responce required.

I've had a very open mind on this and and continued to offer suggestions to find it, however I think the doubters on here have a valid point to make considering all the inconsistancies with regard to this missing boat, and TBH the more inconsistancies that arise the more i'm tending to agree with them.

Still think it was craned out though LOL

I hardly think anyone's reputation is at stake, for not believing the worst in someone.

I'd rather think the best of someone and look like a naive prat than think the worst and look like a nasty prat.

Indeed they did ask for the forums help, and with it they have had the forums judgement, which is surely unacceptable.

I am not saying other information wouldn't be helpful and my Idle gossip comment is aimed more at those that would label the owners with being scammers and the like without any real evidence.

I've tried imagining myself and Lynn in their stated position.

Even If a was not internet savvy but found out that there were boating furums with members living on the canal system, I would very quickly become so in an attempt to find my boat.

I would even have a comp installed and learn to use it PDQ if skint use a neighbours etc etc

I would also be watching this forum day and night offering all the information i could.

We recently had fuel stolen from our depot, the officer in charge was going on a course, but I was given another officers name and direct phone number to contact with any further info.

I know the police are pushed, but I find it difficult to believe that and investigation of theft on this level will be on hold whilst an officer goes on holiday and then resume when the officer returns to duty. I'm sure this would breech some kind of minimal standard of responce required.

I've had a very open mind on this and and continued to offer suggestions to find it, however I think the doubters on here have a valid point to make considering all the inconsistancies with regard to this missing boat, and TBH the more inconsistancies that arise the more i'm tending to agree with them.

Still think it was craned out though LOL

The doubters might have a valid point, but I still think they should keep their opinions to themselves and stop clogging up helpful threads.

We all know what WE would do, and if it were me, we might do things differently. I wouldn't cope with all the ignorant comments from this thread were this my boat.

I can understand the objections, the comments and the issues here, and I can see how you or I or the collective masses would have done things differently. The point is, these owners are doing things their way (which is exactly how we would do it), and that should enough. They are quite possibly doing their best, and to be quite frank I think someones best is always good enough - it might not yield the results, but it is the best they can do.

I would hate to be giving my best and be shot down so much, especially in such a vulnerable time.

The very thought of trying to teach my father the internet fills me with enough comedy to keep me going for a life time. Were I ever to HAVE to teach my father because something like this happened, I think that would fill me with enough sorrow to break my heart.

Give them a break. We have the information we have got, and that is going to have to be enough.

But they hae not been on here for 5 days. They dont know they are being judged yet.

so what. I am sure they do know - they logged on enough before to find that out! It is also possible to read the forum without logging on.

Edited by Bones

I completely agree with you and Bones. I have been trying to say similar in previous posts but have rather given up on it as a bad job. I rather feel that many of the posts now and in the past show this forum in a bad light. Folk have no real evidence for what they are saying but seem quite happy to label the owners as cheats and insurance scammers.

despite what some people may think they do not owe us any explanations. Now not all there actions may help some folk on here to understand but as I have said before all we really need to know is where is being searched what has been sighted and when. All we can do is look and keep our eyes open as we go our way on the cut.

I would much rather live by assuming someone is telling the truth in such circumstances until proved otherwise and give folk the benefit of the doubt. Of course there are times when I can be proved wrong and suffer those that will say "I told you so" etc. What I see going on here is no more than idle gossip that is not helping find the boat one little bit.

Sorry I disagree, they asked for help, then gave very limited info, what positive they gave has now been withdrawn, and they are becoming conspicuous by their absense. As I have said before and I'll say it YET again, I give them the benefit of the doubt but they must talk to the forum to enable members to help, otherwise what is happening re: suspicion of a scam will only be perpetuated.

People become p*ssed off when trying to help someone who can't be arsed to make a contribution themselves. :lol:

Hmm.. I think I shall leave this thread. I for one am interested in finding this boat and I have been amazed at the consistent display of narrowmindedness of some people when I log on. I would like to find something useful and helpful, and I am sure anyone else would like to too. This thread is the one people will look at when they come onto the forum rather than the other one with all the information about sightings etc. Perhaps the fact that that one hasn't had any news is an indication of how things are.

Without any more information we will either get bored, or continue with what we already have. Nothing wrong with that.

Keeping this thread going is just an opportunity for people who should be doing better things have too much time on their hands.

I should be marking a thesis, which is what I shall go and do. However, I felt I might as well have my tuppance worth while I was at it. Of course, my posts have nothing to do with finding the boat, just like so many on this thread. It should be renamed 'people who dont fit get the only fun they get from putting people down'.

Edited by Bones

Sorry I disagree, they asked for help, then gave very limited info, what positive they gave has now been withdrawn, and they are becoming conspicuous by their absense. As I have said before and I'll say it YET again, I give them the benefit of the doubt but they must talk to the forum to enable members to help, otherwise what is happening re: suspicion of a scam will only be perpetuated.

People become p*ssed off when trying to help someone who can't be arsed to make a contribution themselves. :lol:

Help or don't help is your choice I would not say to anyone they must get out and look or anything else. However, it is also ones choice to not throw turds on the table when someone doesn't reach ones exacting standards and accuse them of being up to no good as a result.

Keeping this thread going is just an opportunity for people who should be doing better things have too much time on their hands.

The problem is, if this thread is closed, the other one, that has been kept free of speculation, will become clogged.

You do tend to think the worst of people!

That's a sweeping generalisation, and hardly giving people (me) the benefit of the doubt, either, is it ? :lol:

I don't believe I have at any point I have definitely accused the owners that this is a scam.

Someone will now probably find a quote where I did - if so I'd probably be happy to edit it to water it down, as I am on record as saying if it's a scam, then it's very hard to see what the scam is.

That I see as the difficulty for those definitely crying 'foul' - it's very hard to find a scenario that works, whether you completely trust the owners, or whether you do not.

It's fine saying "let's just get on and look for the boat", but if what information we were given is now scuppered, and nobody is claiming to have seen it in around a month, that really isn't that easy is it ? So when some of us were saying "how reliable are your sightings ?", but were just being told "just find the boat!", perhaps we were not being so daft after all. :lol:

How would the OPs have acted if they didn't actually want this boat found?

In a completely different way? In a similar way?

What information would we have been fed if they didn't really want it finding?

More information? Less information? Or a load of incorrect information that was constantly changed and sent everyone looking in areas where apparently this boat wasn't and then such information was finally withdrawn?

No accusations, just a few idle thoughts.............

Gibbo

The reaction from some people right from the beginning of this boat going missing has been to look for flaws. You can give all the excuses you want why you have posted some of the comments and some people have posted some pretty savage comments. I can imagine if my parents had their boat stolen they also would have no idea of internet and forums and they would be in pieces as what to do. Yes it would be great to have more information and in time I sure this will come. I agree with Carl that I would rather try to help and look a prat than believe the worst in people.

If I were the owners I would also think twice about posting on here again and please dont give me that well they asked for help crap because I am afraid it does not wash. They could have lost a lot a lot of help from people on this forum because a few want to post such comments. It is simple if you want to believe the worst then dont help. I for one am willing to get egg on my face if that is what it turns out to be but I will get over it.