Que Sera Sera

Digipete

Featured Posts

If someone offered me a cheque to hire a wheelbarrow i would refuse to let the barrow go , i thought cheque payments were long dead even with a bank card.

we are led to believe this boat has been handed over to strangers who have not been identified because they produced a cheque , no one took any details of them or the car.

how did these hirers make contact ? through ebay-well they should know enough to prove the service provider , by mobile telephone /pay as you go /withheld number , landline traceable .

who done the hand over , the parents who are for some reason not available , its like a badly thought out scam thats going tits up as each day passes

this whole thing is like a joke , cant wait to see if it is and what the punch line is.

I'm almost at the point of agreeing with you, all the info you mention, probably the most important of all, not answered. My faith in human nature is holding up, just! it seems LOL

If genuine though, bear in mind that older people do tend to be more trusting, that's why their targeted by scammers and rogues.

I do see your point though.

Also I did read that the hirers gave false ID knowing what that ID was could have helped. Duff cheque was mentioned, what does that mean? stolen cheque, forged cheque. Cheques have bank name on as well as owners name, that name could have rung some bells, where the check came from etc etc etc.

I find the policeman on holiday tough to believe, but these days and the way police dismiss so many crimes it is believable LOL

Blimy I'm going to bed headache, clocks back, first time I've remembered in my entire life I think LOL

I'm almost at the point of agreeing with you, all the info you mention, probably the most important of all, not answered. My faith in human nature is holding up, just! it seems LOL

If genuine though, bear in mind that older people do tend to be more trusting, that's why their targeted by scammers and rogues.

I do see your point though.

Also I did read that the hirers gave false ID knowing what that ID was could have helped. Duff cheque was mentioned, what does that mean? stolen cheque, forged cheque. Cheques have bank name on as well as owners name, that name could have rung some bells, where the check came from etc etc etc.

I find the policeman on holiday tough to believe, but these days and the way police dismiss so many crimes it is believable LOL

Blimy I'm going to bed headache, clocks back, first time I've remembered in my entire life I think LOL

Clocks need to go forward (Spring forward, Fall back) :lol:

Edited by Rojo

Well i found out long after my boat was put in the water the builders just informed no one and had a crane waiting to lift it off the wagon at a lonesome place , people think canal folk are nuts anyway and dont take much notice of whats going on.

i thought the insurance is not going to pay out because the hire was not done through proper channels , i also thought it dodgy that they knew the insurance was not going to pay out so soon after it was supposed to have gone missing , how would they know it was not going to pay out unless they had asked for a payout.

this is a bag of monkeys.

Edited by gaggle

No. There are so few places that could be done, and none I can think of without prior arrangement.

There are plenty of suitable places if you look for them and aren't too worried about meeting all the H&S requirements.

Some years ago a boat was stolen north of Stoke Bruerne; the thieves' plan was to repaint it overnight as they travelled, and to crane it out at a road layby next to the canal just south of Milton Keynes. On that occasion the police were alerted by a resident of Stoke Bruerne who thought it was odd for a boat to be going down the locks in the dark while being painted, and the police shadowed them (I'm told they even used a helicopter) so they could catch them in the act of lifting it. They arrived at the layby at first light; the lorry was waiting for them, and so were the police.

Some years ago a boat was stolen north of Stoke Bruerne; the thieves' plan was to repaint it overnight as they travelled, and to crane it out at a road layby next to the canal just south of Milton Keynes. On that occasion the police were alerted by a resident of Stoke Bruerne who thought it was odd for a boat to be going down the locks in the dark while being painted, and the police shadowed them (I'm told they even used a helicopter) so they could catch them in the act of lifting it. They arrived at the layby at first light; the lorry was waiting for them, and so were the police.

Unfortunately Allan, that was probably in days long gone when the role of the police was law and order rather than being a branch of the treasury. :lol:

Unfortunately Allan, that was probably in days long gone when the role of the police was law and order rather than being a branch of the treasury. :lol:

Unfortunately yes, it was.

Nowadays your best bet is probably to make a complaint of someone having committed a "hate crime" and escaped by narrow boat, they'd soon have half the county out looking for them :lol:

how did these hirers make contact ? through ebay-well they should know enough to prove the service provider , by mobile telephone /pay as you go /withheld number , landline traceable .

Remembering, of course, that the owners are self-proclaimed computer illiterates, yet managed both to advertise on and take a booking from eBay. Did the hirers leave feedback?

Sorry to take us back 3 weeks, but some questions have remained unanswered, (I think).

I've just received the following in an email...

Hi All

I apologise if you receive this email more than once - i really need to sort out my contacts list.

I have been asked by a friend at Fradley Junction to email people regarding the theft of a boat. The boats name is Que Sara Sara - approx 55ft - Blue with gold lettering. It was hired out for the weekend and has failed to return - it was due back on Sunday. Police have been informed. It was last seen going down the Coventry Canal.

Any information regarding this boat please either inform myself by email or 07531 501214 OR contact Nikki / Les - 07599 709587. Email address is sandjferrets at fsmail dot net.

Thank you all for your assistance in this matter.

Simon

Who are Simon, Nikki & Les?

Why is their version of the original "hire" period different from the owners.

Just had a call:

It's on the Ashby at Shakerstone, opposite Grimmer's.

Who did Andy get a call from ?

This report, at the time, caused a lot of people to believe it was found, I think.

Remembering, of course, that the owners are self-proclaimed computer illiterates, yet managed both to advertise on and take a booking from eBay.

Has this been positively stated ? Have we actually been told how the owners found the hirers ?

I think anyone could be excused for losing the plot - there are at least SIX threads about the "loss" of this boat I think.

And another boat stolen recently with hardly a mention in comparison to Que Sera Sera has been found I believe.

Nick a £50k boat off a private individual and the police give you a crime number.

Steal 50p from an organisation and they call out the SWAT team.

And another boat stolen recently with hardly a mention in comparison to Que Sera Sera has been found I believe.

In all fairness the choice of routes from Brentford is limited. Manned locks to get onto and then on the Thames made that way improbable, leaving little choice but to head north, with just the blind alley of the Paddington Arm/Regents/River Lee.

Streathay Wharf in comparison was ideal, at the hub of the waterways system. A week from there before the theft was noticed and a determined crew could be hundreds of miles away in any of several directions.

Nick a £50k boat off a private individual and the police give you a crime number.

Steal 50p from an organisation and they call out the SWAT team.

Carl,

It's obvious you feel very strongly on that topic, and I can kind of relate to why.

However if I went, for example, to the police and said something like.....

Our boat's been nicked.

It was seen at this place on this date, and we know it's the right boat, because the person who identified it has been on it, and knows it.

(Then a few days later....)

Oops! - I've just been told that was a load of bo**ocks, and it was a different boat.

I don't think I'd be too surprised if the police concentrated their efforts on another crime that they thought they had a better chance of solving.

What do you now think the police should be doing about Que Sera Sera. There is now, it seems not a shred of evidence it is anywhere at all near any of the reported sightings. Apart from perhaps a failure to follow up on some CCTV footage, I've not really heard anything that leads me to believe they have a much better chance of finding it than anybody else does.

Incidentally, I've heard nothing to suggest any police resources were used in locating the other one, (although it's possible they were, I suppose).

In all fairness the choice of routes from Brentford is limited. Manned locks to get onto and then on the Thames made that way improbable, leaving little choice but to head north, with just the blind alley of the Paddington Arm/Regents/River Lee.

Streathay Wharf in comparison was ideal, at the hub of the waterways system. A week from there before the theft was noticed and a determined crew could be hundreds of miles away in any of several directions.

Fair point, I don't know the canal systems involved TBH and didn't think of that.

Wasn't Que Sera Sera spotted in the opposite direction when on it's weeks hire after a couple of days and that's why the controversy as to why people thought it ended up back in the area it was hired. if that first sighting was a confirmed then the direction of the boat is known so if it has been craned off or wharfed it would be beyond that sighting point.

Edited by Julynian

I suprised that the owners daughter has gone quite. I wrote something dodgy a week or so ago and had my head chewed off within a short period of time. No response from the young lady in the last day except via Rose.

If this proves to be a "fiddle" then it is Rose my thoughts go to.

Rose, I know you are entertaining this weekend, can I ask a question?

Have you spoken to the owners directly or just through "Zoe"

I said to myself that I wouldn't input into this thread but, hey, this is interesting ain't it?

Wasn't Que Sera Sera spotted in the opposite direction when on it's weeks hire after a couple of days and that's why the controversy as to why people thought it ended up back in the area it was hired.

I'm not sure that there is one reliable shred of evidence that this boat has been seen by anybody since it was first reported "missing".

Not one that is verifiable, anyway.

This boat could have been many many miles, and many many locks away from Streethay before it got a mention on CWDF.

I'm not sure that there is one reliable shred of evidence that this boat has been seen by anybody since it was first reported "missing".

Not one that is verifiable, anyway.

This boat could have been many many miles, and many many locks away from Streethay before it got a mention on CWDF.

or even before it was hired out / mislaid / stiolen / lost /went missing .

everything we have been told must be treated with suspicion , some of it has been misleading or just plain wrong and that means it all should be taken with the old pinch of salt.

Edited by gaggle

There are some more possibilities to investigate.

Assuming that the boat was 'hired', it could have been craned out and sent to France. Sitting on a French river, where no one is looking, in less than 24 hours. Another is that it was taken and repainted straight away. Both of the above could easily be done by prior arrangement.

The car was apparently an Audi TT with a 53 plate and in silver. There will not be that many of them sold that are in that area.

That's true Alan, and your supposition that it was unlikely to have been returned to the hire area in that time has clearly proven right. Since you posted that it almost confirmed to me that this boat wasn't in the area these sightings were made.

Being so far away all I can do is offer suggestions as to locating this boat as many others have, unfortunately most the important info asked for hasn't been supplied. Now it transpires that the boat is most probably headed in the opposite direction, this additional info if supplied might have made a big difference.

Although technically a theft, in reality it's more of a scam to obtain valuable property IMO each day that goes by it's less likely it will be recovered.

As stated knowing the set up and details of this deal is now probably the best chance of recovery.

I have posted details of the boat on a car forum, other members will post on to other forums they're members of.

My money is still on crane out. Wharf's too busy and probably too risky, crims will know that. I also believe this boat would have been transported quickly and be in some boatbuilder shed somewhere, probably within 3 days. All supposition on my part I know, but I do have knowledge of how these people work. And if planned as i believe they will be good at covering their tracks. The boat could even be abroad by now. A possibly 50k return is a good incentive for the crims.

Carl,

It's obvious you feel very strongly on that topic, and I can kind of relate to why.

Incidentally, I've heard nothing to suggest any police resources were used in locating the other one, (although it's possible they were, I suppose).

I have got photos but I don't know how to post them. The police and BW have been informed and are actively searching for the craft.

As Debbifiggy is a BW employee, with enforcement responsibilities, presumably we can take her word for it.

As Debbifiggy is a BW employee, with enforcement responsibilities, presumably we can take her word for it.

:lol:

In view of the obvious feeling of controversy around the boat Kalzar, I do feel it would be good if Debbi could say more publicly on the forum about it, and it's recovery.

You said that you had emailed the people with an Australian mobile number who turned up selling in on Apollo Duck.

Did you get a response from them, and if so what was their version of the story ?

(Genuinely curious, that's all....)

:lol:

You haven't said what more you think the Police could do in the Que Sera Sera story, given the apparent total unreliability of what we have been told about it's whereabouts. Do you have any thoughts on that ?

I had no response from Oz, at all, sadly.

I don't really feel in a position to comment, too much, on the Que Sera Sera, saga, because it is such a catalogue of errors that it is hard not to be insensitive.

I've walked my local bit of cut and around both (:lol: ) Whittingtons, whilst searching for Demeter (who on earth puts two villages, with the same name, on the same canal?).

I think the owners may be guilty of gross naivety and even stupidity, throughout this event but that doesn't mean their loss is any less distressing.

In defense of rural plod, though, I was once told that the best time to commit a crime, in Daventry District, is 2345, because the outgoing officer on duty is handing over to his sole replacement, giving a clear 15 minutes to get away.

My money is still on crane out. Wharf's too busy and probably too risky, crims will know that. I also believe this boat would have been transported quickly and be in some boatbuilder shed somewhere, probably within 3 days. All supposition on my part I know, but I do have knowledge of how these people work. And if planned as i believe they will be good at covering their tracks. The boat could even be abroad by now. A possibly 50k return is a good incentive for the crims.

Out of interest how would this boat be transported abroad! Is there that many going across on lorries this time of year or perhaps sailing across probably not an unusual event and would not raise any interest! Are our police that inept that they could not check all this out quite quickly or is it that easy to smuggle a narrowboat out of the country?

I've walked my local bit of cut and around both (:lol: ) Whittingtons, whilst searching for Demeter (who on earth puts two villages, with the same name, on the same canal?).

I'm saying nothing!

UK geography, (and history!), are hardly strong-points of mine.

When boating last year and moored near "Bosworth", we both commented how strange that the canal guides made no mention of the very famous battle that took place at Bosworth.

Eventually it occurred to us that we were near Husband's Bosworth, not Market Bosworth. (Wrong canal entirely. :lol: )

It's hard to see how anybody could have arranged the sale of Kalzar from Australia, but I guess the owners of that mobile might well have been international roaming with it in the UK.

Out of interest how would this boat be transported abroad! Is there that many going across on lorries this time of year or perhaps sailing across probably not an unusual event and would not raise any interest! Are our police that inept that they could not check all this out quite quickly or is it that easy to smuggle a narrowboat out of the country?

The Chinese built ones, at least, are brought in mostly in containers, so don't look much like narrow boats.

I don't know how Polish ones are moved, but it may be the same.

This boat could have been being craned and transported before it was reported to stolen to anybody, so such operations would have aroused no suspicions.

Interest maybe.

The guy who bought my first boat arranged to have it craned out over the public highway at Berkhamsted Station. He picked rush hour, and caused some considerable congestion. The police came, looked bemused, deposited a few cones, then drove off again, despite the fact that the pads on the crane had already punched 6" deep holes in the pavement by then. So lots of people saw it, but nobody challenged it. I suspect you could repeat it now, with no more challenge.